Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Popper Roast Profile
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Popper Roast...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Lee_M
Lee_M
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: V60
Roaster: Popper
Posted Sat Dec 8, 2012, 10:53pm
Subject: Popper Roast Profile

Here's what my Air Crazy is doing, as measured by a thermometer in the bean mass. I shook the popper for the first four minutes, but otherwise left it alone. I have decoupled the fan and heater, so I have the ability to slow down the roast. Should I? If so, when? I'm pretty happy with my roasts, but they're visually not as even as I'd like. I also sometimes have trouble getting a good level of acidity without also getting underdeveloped flavors.

Coffee: Guatemala Finca Rosma
First crack: 5:58 - 7:18
Batch size: 75g
Popper preheated to 250F

Lee_M: graph.png
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
Frost
Frost
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012, 7:30pm
Subject: Re: Popper Roast Profile

It's difficult to write a prescription on the limited data but a few things jump out for me:

I like to see at least 3 minutes from start of first crack to finish. (didn't make that up; from Boot) This is important for roast flavor development.

Watch for when in the roast it starts to look uneven. I suspect early on as the ramp is very aggressive during what would normally be the 'drying' phase before the beans reach 300F. If you are to slow down, start here.
Most who run an 'uncontrolled' popper start without any preheat. This helps to make for a more gentle start to the roast ramp.

For timing, my old rule of thumb is to allow 3-4 minutes for each of the 3 roast phases (for a total roast time of 9-12 minutes.) Drying(beans to 300F or so), Ramp to (begin) First Crack, and Finish; from start of first crack to completion.   These numbers should put you in the park, but if you can't throttle the heater, it may not be possible.
Lee_M
Lee_M

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012, 11:57pm

Thanks for the response!

Is 300F internal bean temp? What does the end of the drying stage look like?

I haven't tried stretching out the time after 1st crack much, but I'll give it a shot.
roach56

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2012, 6:02am

I'm not familiar with the air crazy popper but I've been using a poppery 2 for a couple years on and off. I start mine without preheat and usually get first crack between  3- 4 minutes and when doing a light roast finish by 5+ minutes. The poppery 2 has a dc motor so splitting the circuits is a little more difficult. The original poppery is easy to wire the heater on the switch and the blower straight through , both are ac.
Frost
Frost

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2012, 9:12am

Lee_M Said:

Is 300F internal bean temp? What does the end of the drying stage look like?

Posted December 10, 2012 link

300F is about what you will see on your bean temp probe (really a composite of bean temp and air temp)
The beans will have turned from green to yellow, have a grassy/steamy smell, and some expansion has already begun. After the drying phase, the smells will go from grassy to toasty.  If temps are too high here, you can start the browning before all the beans have lost their 'free moisture'.
Lee_M
Lee_M

Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 3:14pm

I tried following your advice. Clearly I have work to do ramping evenly with the on/off switch.

No preheat
First crack: 6:50 - 10:00 (popping in the tray)

Result: flat, more roast character than I'd like, somewhat more even visually

Do you think that this is the result of early stalling, or baking during first crack? Should I be shooting for a linear rate of rise up to 300F, or quickly to say, 200F, then slower to 300F?

Lee_M: 30.png
(Click for larger image)
Frost
Frost

Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 3:46pm

I don't think it's a good idea to cycle the heater on/off at all during the roast. Unless you do it very rapidly (like a PWM PID controller) you will be blowing hot and cold on the beans and this will cause more problems than it will solve.  (stalling, flat, interrupted flavor development, etc)

I can't give you much specifics here with the limited info... when you say 'popping in the tray', was that first crack still going or second crack started?
Lee_M
Lee_M

Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 5:58pm

First crack. I think it probably stalled out and then started again, which I suspect was the biggest problem with this roast.

I try to only switch the heater off <1 second at a time, but I think even that is too long once the temp gets up above 300F. I think my best bet at this point is to leave it alone once browning has begun, but I'm going to continue trying to gently stretch out the drying phase. Beyond that I'm not sure what I can do short of putting a Variac or PID on the heater, which I'm not ready to do yet. Once I get a kitchen timer I won't have to use my phone to keep time and I should be able to record more data via Siri. Right now I'm limited by the fact that I can't write down numbers while shaking the popper.
Frost
Frost

Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 8:51pm

Maybe don't get too hung up to worry about the numbers at this point. After the drying, I look to pace the ramp between 25-33F per minute until first crack. Once first crack gets going, 5-10F per minute depending on how fast and how dark you want to go.  Sounds like your taste will keep you on the lighter faster side anyway.

Looks like your first profile was better without stall during first crack. ...But I get roughed up uneven beans and harsh flavors if pushing much faster than 33F per minute during the ramp above 300F.   ( my batch size is 150gr though, so this will make a difference as well.)  Just keep working with what you are doing, you'll get there, Good Luck.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Popper Roast...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.291337013245)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+