Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Is the Behmor for me?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Is the Behmor...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
alnica

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Porlex Mini
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 12:41pm
Subject: Is the Behmor for me?

Hi,

Firstly sorry if what follows is a basic question already answered before. I have read many threads and reviews on the Behmor and canīt seem to get a definite answer to what i am looking for.

I am interested in roasting batches of (at least) 1/2lb of coffee on a weekly basis and I will be using nearly always strictly hard bean / high altitude single origin coffee. I drink espresso almost exclusively, so am looking at dark, dark roasts. The voltaage in my house varies from about 110 to 116v.

I will be travelling to the US in the coming months and hope to bring back a roaster (home roasters non existent where I live). The question is: Is the Behmor for me? If not, what alternative could I go for at a similar (or lesser price)?

I should say I live in Nicaragua, where my supply of green coffee comes from (almost all decent coffee here is SHB, and I would buy directly from the producers). Apart from a few attempts at roasting (aka burning) coffee on an earthenware plate over an open fire, roasting is new to me.

Al
 View Profile Link to this post
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 w/PID,...
Grinder: Forte, Lelit PL53, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Yama TCA-5 Siphon
Drip: V60 (A red one!)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 1:17pm
Subject: Re: Is the Behmor for me?

Hey Al,
   I roast about the same 1/2 pound batch sizes perhaps twice a week and the Behmor is great for those amounts. I do roast quite a few espresso profile beans, but I don't roast them dark, just a bit slower. It isn't designed to roast past (or into) 2nd crack, and the manual (and Joe) repeatedly warn against doing so. If you're willing to experiment with lighter espresso profiles, I'd recommend it 100%.

By the way, enjoying the Silvia immensely!

~Nick

Edit: One other thing, the Behmor seems really impacted by electricity available. I don't normally roast a full pound, but the few times I've roasted batches that large, the roaster struggled to get past 1st crack. Hope that helps.

There's a big difference between drinking coffee to wake up and waking up to drink coffee.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 7:11am

I agree.  I was in the exact same boat.  Espresso drinker 1/2 batches per week.  Once I learned that dark roasts burn away most of the flavour when roasting I stick to light to medium roasts. The darkest I go is FC which is what the Behmor is made to handle.  If you're stuck on dark roasts I would consider a fluid bed roaster like the fresh roast or something more expensive like the Hottop.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 7:57am

I must be blessed with great electricity - maybe living in the city helps - but I can take a half pound roast through second crack using the P3 A 1/2 lb setting by adding only a little extra time. I had a SHB bean mass roasting in there that I thought would stall so I bumped the plus button and added max time. If i had left it alone then FC, FC+ for sure but instead I have some expensive dark oily Gesha on hand now - oops.

The moral to the story: this roaster will take the beans where ever you want them to go just like the other more expensive options. It is a great roaster.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
Burner0000

Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 9:12am

Eric is right.  I say it's built for FC because if your constantly roasting dark you will have to clean the sensors and the internals if the Behmor more often.  Tricking the machine (Roast 1/2lb on the 1lb setting will also allow you to roast past FC.  Keep in mind that once you hit C2 your gonna get a lot of smoke.

alnica,  If you decide to purchase the Behmor and you are roasting Vienna or darker I would just to a Simple Green clean & Dry burn every 2-3 roasts and take the after burner casing off and make sure things are clean say every 3 months or so and you should be fine.
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 w/PID,...
Grinder: Forte, Lelit PL53, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Yama TCA-5 Siphon
Drip: V60 (A red one!)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 11:08am

I suppose I should mention, the wiring of the house I was renting until recently was really shoddy. Somehow the kitchen was on the same breaker as my upstairs room, so who knows what else might have been running from the same line? When my PID was cycling, the lights in the whole house would flicker... it was a scary place to live. Either way, I still didn't mind because the Behmor got the job done. So I guess that refutes my last edit :D

There's a big difference between drinking coffee to wake up and waking up to drink coffee.
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 11:09am

The Behmor is a great value for it's price.

I roast 10 oz (green) set for 1 lb. and that yields a bit more than half a pound 'as roasted'.  I have no trouble getting well into the 2CR.  My line voltage is usually 120.  

You might discover, after using a good, well-designed roaster, that you prefer a lighter roast, perhaps 30 seconds into the 2CR, dark brown with a slight sheen of oil.  That was my experience.

Jerry
alnica

Espresso: Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Porlex Mini
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 8:30pm

Thanks to all for your insight. As I will be a complete novice roaster I hadn't even given much thought to anything other than a dark-dark espresso roast, so great to know there are other slightly lighter options out there for espresso short of full city. That and the option to roast less weight on a full pound setting seems like part of the experimenting I will soon be getting in to. There doesn't seem to be any other similar priced roasters out there on a par with the Behmor, so it looks like I might go down that route and start experimenting.... very soon :)

Nick, great to know the Silvia has worked out for you!
Burner0000

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 5:42am

I confirmed what EricBNC said.  I roasted an espresso blend last night 1/2lb (227g) on P3 full 15min roast.  I had to kill the roast over 2min early because I had already hit 2C with around 2min to spare.  If I had left it I would have had a very dark roast.

Burner0000: IMAG0189.jpg
(Click for larger image)
hankua
hankua
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Salvatore One Black
Grinder: Major, Rossi, Tanzenia,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, CCD
Roaster: Feima 800n
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 6:40am

One big plus in your situation is parts availability. Here in the US Behmor has great customer support and I assume it would be the same for you. It might be a good idea to check with them about international parts shipping.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Is the Behmor...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.286669015884)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+