Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
ROASTING... should I bother to give it a shot?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > ROASTING......  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Daptin
Daptin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rocky, of course...
Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012, 7:07pm
Subject: ROASTING... should I bother to give it a shot?

Please don't roast me... I'm a fellow espresso lover. My grandmother had green coffee shipped from Congo, then roasted it in her oven to brew a decent Melitta cup. I followed the traditional route: first I got a Rancilio Sivla, soon followed by a doserless Rocky grinder, then I installed the thermostat. I live in the Republic of Panama where I can get decent roasted Arabica. Just as good as the Colombian Juan Valdez, but Costa Rica's beans are slightly more impressive. For an occasional treat, I purchase Italian beans from Danesi, roasted to perfection (as only Italians can). Should I try roasting? I don't want to spend $1000 + for one of these machines. Your suggestions are highly welcome.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012, 8:51pm
Subject: Re: ROASTING... should I bother to give it a shot?

If the beans you get are less than two weeks roasted, then maybe not.  A Behmor at $299 (US) will let you learn more about roasting to the point where you will make roasts that you like better than what you are buying now.

Spend $900 for more control (Hottop) and you might have a shorter learning curve.

Then you can ramp up your hobby with a better grinder and then a better espresso machine.  Yes, it could be an ever expanding obsession.  :)

LMWDP # 010
 View Profile Link to this post
dorkroast
dorkroast
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cheapo Melitta pourover
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn Pumper
Posted Sun Oct 28, 2012, 6:28pm

I'm totally a newbie to the roasting world so my advice might not be the greatest....

But I'm telling you I just started roasting and it's turned out pretty awesome so far.

I followed the advice on Sweet Maria's and I easily found a hot air popper at a local thrift shop for $4. I bought green beans for $8 a pound from a local shop (which may be a bit high, not sure yet).

I brewed two different types of coffee and I just finished off both of my first two attempts tonight. I must say it turned out pretty amazing.

The coffee was at least as good as what I would have bought roasted locally and I know exactly when it was roasted and it was exactly the level of roast I wanted.

I figure for basically a $12 investment I got to try something really great....and it turned out amazing.

If you can get a cheap popper you should definitely try it, you really have only a small investment to lose if you don't like it. It's nice to know my beans were less than a week old and that I roasted them myself.

If you hate it, you can probably resell the popper for the price of your investment if not more. I paid $4 locally, but I could easily resell for $35 on the internet if I wanted.

Let us know how it works out.
Daptin
Daptin

Posted Sun Oct 28, 2012, 7:43pm

Thank you Prof, I'm still figuring out if I should dip my toes in the water. Silvia and Rocky are just fine, at least for me... this is an expensive hobby already. The Behmor looks a bit big for me. The Hottop is a bit expensive. Think I'll wait. The problem in Panama is that any beans you find at your local supermarket have been toasted one or two months earlier. I went to the "beneficio" (the factory where they process coffee) of Café Durán for a couple of months, where I would buy a 5 Lbs package at the Durán store, then exchanged it fresh from the factory line, but it was a big hassle.
Daptin
Daptin

Posted Sun Oct 28, 2012, 7:49pm

Thank you Dorkroast, this sounds like a less expensive alternative. I've yet to locate the advice on Sweet Maria's, but it sounds like I could use a popcorn popper. Is that it? I might try that route, if only to find out if I get better results than the local roasters.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Oct 28, 2012, 8:46pm

Make sure the popper has the air grills on the side, not the bottom, or a chaff fire could occur.
At least 1250 watts best.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Mon Oct 29, 2012, 2:07pm

Daptin Said:

Thank you Dorkroast, this sounds like a less expensive alternative. I've yet to locate the advice on Sweet Maria's, but it sounds like I could use a popcorn popper. Is that it? I might try that route, if only to find out if I get better results than the local roasters.

Posted October 28, 2012 link

If you have green beans then you just need to add heat. A pot on the stove while stirring with a spoon or whisk has worked for the Ethiopians since the dawn of roasting coffee, might work for you as well and I bet you already have the equipment. As mentioned popcorn poppers are a great low budget setup and with some modding they can work very nicely. Another low budget for larger batches is the bread machine/Heat gun (BMHG) setup that does over a pound a roast and can be rigged with bean mass temperature probes and good control over the roast. There really are many DIYer setups that are very affordable that will compete with any commercial machines roast.
Daptin
Daptin

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2012, 5:03pm

Thank you IMAwriter and GermantownRob, I'm defiintely willing to explore low-budget alternatives. Any recommendation to search for modding and DIY? Are some popcorn popper brands more suitable than others?
dorkroast
dorkroast

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cheapo Melitta pourover
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn Pumper
Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 9:26pm

Yep, it's as easy as buying an old air popcorn popper. I purchased a "Popcorn Pumper" for $3.99. So far I've roasted about 2 pounds of coffee in it and it has turned out great.

Hopefully you can find the videos on Sweet Marias. It really is as easy as it looks.  It only took me once to figure out how to do it without setting off all the smoke detectors in the house. :)

As others have said, it can be as simple as roasting them in a pan or even in a basket over open flame.

Best of luck, hope you find something that works for you.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > ROASTING......  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.434764862061)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+