Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Quest M3 Roaster - New Asymmetric Heating?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Quest M3 Roaster...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 13 of 15 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Dustin360

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2012, 8:52pm
Subject: Re: Quest M3 Roaster - New Asymmetric Heating?

Endo Said:

Thanks! Very good article. As you can read in the article "80 percent of the heat transference is via forced convection".

What side the heater should be on is another subject all together. This has much more to do with the air flow path in and around the drum and beans. I'm a lot less sure what's happening here since the air path is rather complicated on this roaster, but I suspect the testing done by Mr.Yen provides some idea.

Posted October 24, 2012 link

I wasn't trying to say radiation is a major contributor in the heat transfer on the quest, only that it is a contributor. I hope im wrong, but the fact he told you that different element was on side x for a reason seems like bs. If he would of just said, "this gives you more btu's" (or whatever)I would have much less issue with it.
 View Profile Link to this post
pngboy

Drip: chemex
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu Oct 25, 2012, 3:49am

Very nice, looks like a good profile.   Very similar looking to some of mine.   I bet that it was chalked full of some nice origin flavor.    I like the graph.  Roastlogger doesn't have a graph yet just a live viewing of the ROR numbers witch turns red when ever it goes neg.   I really like messing with the ROR at the end of the roast because you can get an ROR of 1f or 2f and stretch it out with out stalling it.   But usually I'll have a ROR of about 6 or 7f after 1C.
Endo
Endo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Thu Oct 25, 2012, 5:15am

Dustin360 Said:

I wasn't trying to say radiation is a major contributor in the heat transfer on the quest, only that it is a contributor. I hope im wrong, but the fact he told you that different element was on side x for a reason seems like bs. If he would of just said, "this gives you more btu's" (or whatever)I would have much less issue with it.

Posted October 24, 2012 link

I never denied radiation exists, only that its contribution is small compared to convection.

I wouldn't read too much into the "extra heat near the bean mass" comment. After all, if you we're going to boost heat and need to choose one side, it would be the one with the beans. No? Seems logical to me.
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Thu Oct 25, 2012, 12:02pm

The sawtooth pattern there is probably quantisation noise from the temperature probe - the temperature is probably only read out in 1F steps, so the RoR will be quantised to some degree.  Depending on the algorithm used, the sawtooth may be smoothed out to some degree.  Numerical differentiation is very sensitive to noise.
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Thu Oct 25, 2012, 10:02pm

For a good proxy of convection levels in a roaster I look at the turn-around time. A full blast fluid bed air roaster will turn-around sharply in 30-45 seconds. ( BT probe is more influenced by the air temp here) In a drum roaster with much lower air flows, turn-around is more gradual and 1.5 - 2 minutes.

The fan on the M3 looks somewhat more useful to help distribute the element heat in the roaster (much better than the Hotop here) but for better convection I would look to speed up the drum and add fins to loft the beans so they tumble more. Another option is as Arpi did on HB; add a heat gun through the trier hole.

....Not that these things are needed, but it makes a more flexible roaster.
Endo
Endo

Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 5:03am

Frost Said:

...for better convection I would look to speed up the drum and add fins to loft the beans so they tumble more. Another option is as Arpi did on HB; add a heat gun through the trier hole.

Posted October 25, 2012 link

The fins are longer than any I've seen. They go all the way from front to back. Are you suggesting a different pattern? How do you know it doesn't tumble well already? Have you seen inside?

Heat gun seems interesting. But way too ugly to make it into my kitchen (power tool free zone:-)
Dustin360

Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 10:10pm

Endo Said:

I never denied radiation exists, only that its contribution is small compared to convection.

I wouldn't read too much into the "extra heat near the bean mass" comment. After all, if you we're going to boost heat and need to choose one side, it would be the one with the beans. No? Seems logical to me.

Posted October 25, 2012 link

Gotcha, well we are on the same page then regarding radiation. As for the element... it probably doesn't really make a difference which side it sits on. But If i were to pick a side, i would probably pick the side opposite the beans. If the spinning drum is creating a draft spinning the same direction, then putting the element on the opposite side would extend the time the hot air stays at the bottom. Hot air entering the bottom of the drum is more likely to touch the beans, vs it entering in the top. Though its probably so negligible that wouldn't matter either way.

Whats your reasoning for the bean side being better?
Endo
Endo

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012, 7:04am

I agree it likely doesn't make much difference. But if you look at the ET (right side) and BT (left side) temps in the drum during warmup, you do see some difference. Still, we should think of it as a heat boost, pure and simple.

I'd like to determine how many extra BTUs it adds and at what price in terms of MTBF. I will be able to see what effect it will have on roast time when I make the swap back to dual 116v next week. But I will never know the effect on reliability, unless all my 100v elements start routinely burning out. So far, it's going strong so the worries may be premature. I don't see any safety issue here since the element will simply stop heating if it fails (I assume).
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012, 12:38pm

Endo Said:

I'd like to determine how many extra BTUs it adds and at what price in terms of MTBF. I will be able to see what effect it will have on roast time when I make the swap back to dual 116v next week. But I will never know the effect on reliability, unless all my 100v elements start routinely burning out. So far, it's going strong so the worries may be premature. I don't see any safety issue here since the element will simply stop heating if it fails (I assume).

Posted October 27, 2012 link

In order to do that you probably need another pice of information, the resistance of each heating element.
To do that you will need a device capable of measuring very low ohms. This type of ohmeter is usually found only in an electric motor repair shop, not at Lowes Home Improvement.

My best guess is:
116v element@ 116V = 600watts x 3.412 x 1.0 = 2053 BTU/hr
100v element@ 116V = 696 watts x 3.412 x .93= 2209 BTU/hr

In other words if someone else wants to duplicate your roaster, all they need to do is install an old-fashioned 60 watt light bulb....
Endo
Endo

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012, 7:47pm

oldgearhead Said:

In other words if someone else wants to duplicate your roaster, all they need to do is install an old-fashioned 60 watt light bulb....

Posted October 27, 2012 link

I see what you're saying, but from the colour of the elements it seems a bit hotter than that. Maybe 2 x 60W bulbs?:-)

In any case, the why I look at it, as long as it doesn't break, I'll take what ever extra heat they'll give me. You don't have to use it all, and it certainly seems to help for roasts over 200g.
showing page 13 of 15 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Quest M3 Roaster...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.360472917557)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+