Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Quest M3 Roaster - New Asymmetric Heating?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Quest M3 Roaster...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 14 of 15 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Sun Oct 28, 2012, 6:16am
Subject: Re: Quest M3 Roaster - New Asymmetric Heating?

Endo Said:

>snip<

In any case, the why I look at it, as long as it doesn't break, I'll take what ever extra heat they'll give me. You don't have to use it all, and it certainly seems to help for roasts over 200g.

Posted October 27, 2012 link

I don't understand "extra heat". Isn't the amount of heat wattage totally dependant on the dial?
 View Profile Link to this post
Endo
Endo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Sun Oct 28, 2012, 8:49am

oldgearhead Said:

I don't understand "extra heat". Isn't the amount of heat wattage totally dependant on the dial?

Posted October 28, 2012 link

If so, then what would be the point of the "frigid zone" Quest? I would simply turn up the regular model? No?

To be honest, I'm not clear on this, since I'm also running at higher amps as well (between 9 and 10A mostly), and it seems I could go up to 12A (1400W) if I wanted. (Though I've decided to stay below 1200W for now, until I more clearly understand what's going on in my roaster).

What is the typical amp range and max amps on the regular dual 116v Quest? It says 7.5A to 8.5A in the manual if I'm not mistaken. Can you go much higher?
Dustin360

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Oct 28, 2012, 10:35am

Mine maxes out at about 11 amps. And ive been preheating the roaster (til 500 met) at max amp/max fan for over 600 roasts. I keep the maximum heat in check though and rarly go above 500(MET). If you dont have an MET reading, maxing the roaster is a craps shoot.
Endo
Endo

Posted Sun Oct 28, 2012, 2:08pm

Dustin360 Said:

Mine maxes out at about 11 amps. And ive been preheating the roaster (til 500 met) at max amp/max fan for over 600 roasts. I keep the maximum heat in check though and rarly go above 500(MET). If you dont have an MET reading, maxing the roaster is a craps shoot.

I've used a MET for testing as well. (I removed the upper right front cover bolt and installed a wire thermocouple outside the drum).

I noticed my MET goes up to around 270C after my usual 15 minute warmup at 1050W and min fan setting. This seems to be right in line with your 500 (deg F, I assume) MET max. As you can see from the graph, the MET is actually about 75C higher than ET all the way to drop time. (Note: (ET is actually MET in my graph and BT is actually ET inside the drum where since there are no beans during warmup). Of course if you play with the fan or amps, you can easily change this offset (note how the max fan acutally cools the MET by bringing in cold air at 5 min and 8 min marks in my graph....hence the need to always use the fan, as Mr. Yen clearly states).

Another intersting fact; my amps max out at exactly 12.5A (1500W) and at the 50% point on the knob I get about (1000W). In other words, it's not linear. The regular Quest seems to max out at 11A or about 1300W I assume. This is consistant with the fact my Quest needs about 1.5 more amps when roasting.

Endo: warmup.png
(Click for larger image)
oldgearhead
oldgearhead

Posted Sun Oct 28, 2012, 4:58pm

What type of circuit is used to control the heaters? Is it:
1)  % pulse-type, like sn SSR in manual mode where the output is full on for a % of the time?
2) Mechanical-analog, like a stove-top burner control?
3) Something else?

I think the only way to make comparisons between different Quest roasters is to use watt readings from Kill-A-Watt meters.
Endo
Endo

Posted Sun Oct 28, 2012, 5:16pm

oldgearhead Said:

What type of circuit is used to control the heaters? Is it:
1)  % pulse-type, like sn SSR in manual mode where the output is full on for a % of the time?
2) Mechanical-analog, like a stove-top burner control?
3) Something else?

Geez....wish I knew. Not % pulse though since watts are constant.

oldgearhead Said:

I think the only way to make comparisons between different Quest roasters is to use watt readings from Kill-A-Watt meters.

That's what I'm using. Although I have it on the VA setting (apparent power), not the Watts (real power) with the 0.60 power factor (or whatever it is). I assume others here are comparing VA as well? Are you suggesting we should be using this lower version of Watts (real power) for an accurate comparison? (Funny enough, this is kind of where my problems began, when I was trying to understand which watts reading I should be using. See the link below).

"Watt the F#%$#?"
Endo
Endo

Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 7:28pm

Just curious, do the regular Quest roasters also have a Power Factor of 0.60? I assume this is the way the triac controls the power?
Endo
Endo

Posted Sun Nov 4, 2012, 7:10am

If I understand this correctly, since my Quest does not operate on a pure resistive circuit like other roasters, and I have a PF of 0.80 due to the triac controller, the real power in watts my heaters are seeing is only 80% of the VA value. In other words, when I'm drawing 10A (as I often do for 200+g roasts), my apparent power (or VA) would be 10A x 120V=1200VA but my real power the heaters see would only be 10A x120V x 0.80=960W (as is indicated on my kill-a-watt when I'm drawing 10A).

This is well below the max wattage rating of 1050W written on the roaster dataplate and well below the combined wattage of 1200W for both heaters.

If so, this would mean I would need to draw roughly 11A to get close to the 1050W max rating. And since my roaster only goes to about 12.5A when dialed all the way up, I need not worry (as Mr.Yen has said numeous times...but without explanation).

Can some electrical person (tech or engineer) confirm this for me?
oldgearhead
oldgearhead

Posted Sun Nov 4, 2012, 6:16pm

Triac? I thought you didn't know how it was controlled? My guess would be a more up-to-date method like'PWM'. In either case I think both the pulse width and the number of pulses in an interval would need to know before a .60 can be assumed.

Most roasters are NOT resistive, but rather SSR controlled. Many SSRs are driven by temperature controllers that use a 10 second pulse. If the controller is set for 80% then the pulse will be on for 8 seconds and off for 2 seconds. A PWM control might use a 90 pulse interval every 10 seconds, then vary the width of every pulse to achive the desired control. Older electric ranges are resistive controlled.
Endo
Endo

Posted Mon Nov 5, 2012, 5:06am

I didn't see anything inside that looked like a SSR. And on my kill-a-watt I see no pulsing and a clear 0.80 for the PF at 1100W.

On the Quest website they say; "Power control: Traditional frequency transistor circuit (not IC) instrument level VR".
showing page 14 of 15 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Quest M3 Roaster...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.374191045761)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+