Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
The Economics of Roasting Coffee
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > The Economics of...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 11:58pm
Subject: The Economics of Roasting Coffee

Hello Everyone.

Currently, I spend about $16 for a 1 lb bag of espresso blend from a very well known roaster here in town. They do an amazing job. Another roaster here sells 1 Kilogram bags (2.2 lbs) for about $35 each, they're coffee is pretty good as well, but they're very secretive about the blend they use.

Now I absolutely love the smell of roasting coffee.

So, I'm lightly contemplating the idea of buying a Behmor 1600, since it'll roast a pound of coffee at a time and they're somewhat inexpensive, at least compared to a Hot Top.
Considering that the Behmor roaster sells for about $350 here, I kind of wonder how much cheaper it would be to roast my own coffee instead of buying it pre-roasted?

Realistically I only go through about a kilogram of coffee about once a month, so a 30 lb bag from Costco would take me just over a year to plow through. (That still complies with the law of 15's!)

Has anyone done the math to figure out how cost effective it is? How long would it take for a Behmor to pay for itself?

I only have about two drinks a day usually with the occasional amount of company over, so I'm wondering if it is even worth it to consider this.

The only other thing, my garage isn't heated, but it is insulated. I wonder how well a Behmor would take to being left in a cold garage when it is -35 C (-31 F) outside? I'm guessing it could also double as a space heater!
I wouldn't even dare think about leaving the coffee in the garage, only because frozen coffee beans probably don't roast very well. :)

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 2:40am
Subject: Re: The Economics of Roasting Coffee

I guess the math on this matter is pretty complicated, because you'll have to take into consideration a lot of different factors, that might even differ from region to region: the initial cost of the Behmor, the price of green beans, energy costs etc. In Germany, for example, there's a special tax on roasted beans that you save when you roast at home. Also, it'll probably take a while and you'll waste quite some coffee before your roasting results match your expectations.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
 View Profile Link to this post
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 5:01am

I roast Sweet Maria's (espresso) Monkey Blend for my son.

I pay $63.76 for 12 lbs from Sweet Maria's (to fill a small USPS carton) and the shipping costs come out to be around $30 to Thornhill, Ontario.  There is no HST.  It arrives quickly via Canada Post XpressPost.  So far, the cost per lb is $7.81.  However, I lose around 17% in the roasting (moisture, etc) and that increases the cost to $9.41/lb.

I do not roast a pound at at a time.  The Behmor will do it but the roast time is too long and I feel I don't get the best out of the bean.  I do 10 oz roasts that nets out to a bit more than 1/2 lb as roasted.

For coffee I roast for myself, as a single user in my household, 1/2 lb lasts around 2 weeks.  I let it rest for 3 days and consume it over the next 2 weeks.  I roast again when I have 3 or 4 days left  (to allow for the resting time).

Here at my local supermarket, premium Illy sells for around $15 for 8.2 oz and pound of (say) Bay Street Dark from Java Joe's is around $25.  I feel that my costs are a lot cheaper, even paying the high shipping costs from Sweet Maria's.

Nevertheless, you must consider that there will be 'experimental' costs with different greens and, above the cost of the Behmor, you should invest in a Kill-A-Watt meter ($20) and a high quality scale ($50) and if you have an iPhone or iPad the wonderful App 'Roastmaster' to help you with record-keeping.

I hope this helps.

Jerry
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 5:02am
Subject: .

oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 6:32am

I buy 10 pounds at a time. Ten pounds will easily fit in a USPS, medium, flat-rate box. At $15.00 The flat-rate box is a big part of the expense. I buy from Gary Burman, GBBC, and direct from a Thai importer. I usually pay $40.00/10 pounds  for Thai Huey Hawn, and up-to $65.00/10 pounds for some of the CoE's.

Last year my average expense for beans + shipping was $68.00/10 pounds. The average yield was 8.4 pounds. So $68/8.4 =  $8.10/pound. Fifteen months ago I built a 500 gram, fluid-bed, coffee roaster. My cost was (not including my labor) $520.00. The roaster has 'cooked' 150 pounds of beans. So $520/150 = $3.47.

Summary - Average cost to roast one pound of beans has been $11.57/pound. Not exactly a huge savings over the $16.00/pound I can buy them for, but its fun, and the results are very good...

oldgearhead: DSC_9153.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Woody
Woody

Espresso: La Spaziale Vivaldi I
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Vac Pot: Hoover
Drip: yuck
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 9:31am

Your question was about economics, and in the long run roasting your own will save money.  I think for most of us the issue is the ability to have fresh roasted coffee when we want it.  In other words, sometimes roasting your own is more convienient than mail order.  And of course as geeks there is the "do it yourself" factor.

Jon
strfish7

Espresso: Cremina, Europiccola,...
Grinder: HGOne, Pharos, Vario
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 11:03am

I have a slightly different situation, and here's how it shakes out:  I live down the street from a local roaster, whose beans are $11.00-16.00/lb. (yes, that's a pound, not 10 or 12 ounces).  I've been paying about $4.00-6.00/lb for Costco 30 lb boxes of various single origins, whose quality I am completely satisfied with. So, for me, the difference is probably close to $6.00-10.00/lb.  YMMV.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
johnboddie

Espresso: MCAL, Brasilia Mini Classic,...
Grinder: Rossi RR45a,Rocky,...
Drip: Cuisinart (non-grinding)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 7:48pm

If it was just a question of economics, very few of us would roast our own beans.

Mind you, the economics isn't bad. I figure I'll amortize my Behmor at about 600 roasts (only a couple of hundred to go).

The value of working with green beans and finding a roast that is really yours (Mine is a Sidamo about 2.5 minutes after first crack on a Behomr 1600) provides a reward that is difficult to put in direct $ and cents terms.

JB
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 8:31pm

John, you have added important points to this thread:

When I roast my own I have the opportunity to find the kinds of beans that suit me best, learn to roast them to the capability of my roaster (and skill) and to keep myself supplied with beans in the preferred range of 3 to 14 days from roasting.  

Then it becomes a different beverage.  Not only do I get the flavour, I also get a deep penetrating aroma that seems to be everywhere in your head as I sip it.  

It took me a YEAR of failed attempts, roasting small batches and brewing them up.  Then, one day, by accident, I hit the sweet-spot ...with that aroma.  

Now, with the Behmor, I can usually find it within 3 roasts and repeat it time after time (with that specific bean).  

It is not just a question of economics.

Jerry
Dooglas
Dooglas

Espresso: Vibiemme Junior
Grinder: Ascaso, Baratza
Drip: Bonavita, Bodum press
Roaster: GeneCafe, Behmor
Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012, 5:34pm

Now, about using a Behmor in an unheated garage in a northern clime in the winter. You will find that the Behmor has a low temperature cut off so that it will not come on at below about 40 degrees. You will need to warm your garage up a bit for roasting on some chilly winter days.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > The Economics of...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.278496026993)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+