Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Should I Upgrade to a Hottop?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Should I Upgrade...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
garyhow

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Premium Plus
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Baratza...
Drip: Technivorm MoccaMaster
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 5:52pm
Subject: Should I Upgrade to a Hottop?

I've got the upgrade itch.... I'm currently using a Behmor and planning a move to the Hottop for a little more control and the desire to try something new... Any Hottop owners want to weigh in?
 View Profile Link to this post
randychar813
randychar813
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: 95% of time: Izzo Alex...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E type A;...
Vac Pot: french press
Drip: no
Roaster: SF 6 lber; Hottop
Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 6:55pm
Subject: Re: Should I Upgrade to a Hottop?

I bought the first hottop model made in 2003 and it worked great.  I still have it and sometime get nostalgic and pull it out especially when sampling 250-300 g coffee. In 2004 I was roasting very often so upgraded to a 6 lb roaster.  

You probably know it smokes a lot so roasting outside is a must.  The hottop will burn you badly if not careful.  Electrical power pull is also a consideration.  I added an extra 50 amp circuit to my patio so the hottop had all power ceiling it needed plus the extra circuit on the patio has various uses.  

I like mine it does not have all the profiles but after roasting as much as I have over the past 9 years with the hottop and the 6 lber creating coffee profiles is like playing music.  Its all in what you feel like at the time, and what you want to drink.  Coffee is a big tasty world.
frcn
frcn

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 8:21pm

randycha813 might have the first model, but I have the first pre-production unit sent into the US [no insult intended.]. I reviewed that first unit and subsequently, about one year or two later, they became a client of mine. I created the USA website for them, including all the repair procedures, as well as the owners manual. I have been an advocate of theirs, not because of that, but because it is the only roaster I use, and have since that first model, other than testing other brands for review purposes. (I do not get paid by sales and I do not sell them, BTW).

Unless you want to spend more then the Hottop, it is the logical next step after the Behmor. I do suggest the "B" model and NOT the "P" since you are an experienced roaster. Additionally, down the line, there is now a way to add two after-market boards and two thermocouples to control the machine and monitor the roast on a computer.

I have net seen a commercially-available roaster under $1000 (or even more now) that offers the control of the Hottop KN-8828B-2K. The only alternative in that price range would be a stainless drum in a BBQ.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
garyhow

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Premium Plus
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Baratza...
Drip: Technivorm MoccaMaster
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 4:12pm

How about the smoke?  The Behmor puts out smoke, even with the suppression built in when taking the coffee into the second crack.... I've been roasting in our laundry room beneath a window. After the roast is completed, usually after the first few pops of the second crack, I hit the cool button on the Behmor and then turn on a small fan attached to the window.... This pushes the smoke out of the window...  I always roast a pound of coffee btw...

Should I expect more smoke from the Hottop?
randychar813
randychar813

Espresso: 95% of time: Izzo Alex...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E type A;...
Vac Pot: french press
Drip: no
Roaster: SF 6 lber; Hottop
Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 6:02pm

No insult taken.   I defer to your expertise with this roaster.  I aggree with you it is an excellent roaster for the money.  As I recall I paid around $600- $650 for the model I bought.  It has served me well.
gregr

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Livia 90
Grinder: Moka
Drip: CCD
Roaster: Huky
Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 7:58pm

I had a Behmor for a couple years then moved to a Hottop. Love them both and both manufacturers offer outstanding customer service.
The Hottop smokes more. I roast in the kitchen with a window open nearby- no oven hood or anything. Within about 3 hours there's no smoke smell in the house.
I think a pound in the Hottop would be pushing it. But if you want to get more control over the roast the Hottop is great. I know most people roast for coffee and I do once in a while but mainly I make espresso and with the Behmor it was tricky stretching out that final stage- not so with the Hottop. Very repeatable results... and very tasty results :)
Madurodave

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: Mr Coffee, perculator
Roaster: HotTop B, West Bend Air...
Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012, 10:05am

I agree with the posts. I bought the Hottop B since it offers great control for roasting. It is obviously more expensive than the Behmor, but the tradeoff is the ability to make changes while running your roast, plus the dump and pan cooling of the beans!

Dave
Harley rider, Espresso drinker, Primo XL grill
steamer
steamer

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Wed Nov 7, 2012, 12:47pm

I have had most of the roaster seen on these pages, only one got me to come back and buy it a second time, that was the hottop. Now then, I still have my Behmor, but I use that for roasting nuts, thats all. My roasts out of the htottop smell and taste the same as my local roaster, and that is what matters to me.
frcn
frcn

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:40pm

We provide arabica civet coffee from Aceh Gayo guaranteed 100% authentic.We provide kick-bans to all spammers... go away

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Should I Upgrade...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.272017002106)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+