Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Behmor profile for a geisha ???
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behmor profile...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
coffee_lui

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-e type B
Vac Pot: Cona D
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012, 7:08pm
Subject: Behmor profile for a geisha ???

Has anybody found a good profile for a geisha(Panama Hacienda Esmeralda) that has given good results ?
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 6:53pm
Subject: Re: Behmor profile for a geisha ???

coffee_lui Said:

Has anybody found a good profile for a geisha(Panama Hacienda Esmeralda) that has given good results ?

Posted October 15, 2012 link

truthfully, with what that bean costs, and even with like 5-6 years with my behmor, I'd be scared to death to even suggest!
Could be "grounds" (sorry) for a law suit! :>D
Keept it on the light side, is as far as I'd go, but you didn't hear it from me.

FWIW, I LOVE the lighter roasts i get from the Behmor. Remember to wait at least 48 hours before grinding. If possible store the fresh roasted in a 1 way valve bag.

I'm sure one of our pro roasters, or veteran home roasters will venture in here.
ENJOY that wonderful coffee.

EDIT...BTW, that coffee will be magnificent in your Cona D or BraZen...just noticed you had BOTH!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 12:16pm

coffee_lui Said:

Posted October 15, 2012 link

It has been a vary long time since I roasted on a Behmor but I have roasted lots of Esmeralda. It roasts the same as most of the higher grown Panama beans which means it can handle fast heat to get it going to first crack. this would translate to P1 however once you get close to first crack you would want to slow down the roast by cracking the door. City (end of 1C) to City+ are ideal with at least 2min from the start of first. FUll city is also good but if it is your first time roasting it the truest flavors are before FUll City.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 2:41pm

germantownrob Said:

It has been a vary long time since I roasted on a Behmor but I have roasted lots of Esmeralda. It roasts the same as most of the higher grown Panama beans which means it can handle fast heat to get it going to first crack. this would translate to P1 however once you get close to first crack you would want to slow down the roast by cracking the door. City (end of 1C) to City+ are ideal with at least 2min from the start of first. FUll city is also good but if it is your first time roasting it the truest flavors are before FUll City.

Posted October 18, 2012 link

EXACTLY as i would have posted, if I had the the guts! LOL
Seriously, I was just curious to see what others suggested first, as there are several ways to get pretty much the same roast degree on a behmor, the KEY being how quickly you want to get to 1st crack.

My normal Behmor technique, posted on CG many times does Rob suggests, opening the door at the onset of 1st for a few seconds, closing and azt the very end of 1st, opening again, to slow things down in a P1/A.1# roast.
If you're going to a city +, allow the roast to progress another 30 seconds after 1st crack ceases, open the door again for 4-5 seconds, close, allow another 20 seconds of roast, hit the COOL button, and open the door fully.

MY GENERAL BEHMOR MODUS OPERANDI
I'd measure 12oz of green by weight, and if you have the drum with the larger holes, use it. If you have a kil-o-wat, measure the voltage at the plug. You want 120v, or at least 118 before you start.
The object of 120z as opposed to the usual 14oz I use is to try and get a slightly faster rise to 1st crack.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 5:01pm

IMAWriter Said:

EXACTLY as i would have posted, if I had the the guts! LOL
Seriously, I was just curious to see what others suggested first, as there are several ways to get pretty much the same roast degree on a behmor, the KEY being how quickly you want to get to 1st crack.

My normal Behmor technique, posted on CG many times does Rob suggests, opening the door at the onset of 1st for a few seconds, closing and azt the very end of 1st, opening again, to slow things down in a P1/A.1# roast.
If you're going to a city +, allow the roast to progress another 30 seconds after 1st crack ceases, open the door again for 4-5 seconds, close, allow another 20 seconds of roast, hit the COOL button, and open the door fully.

MY GENERAL BEHMOR MODUS OPERANDI
I'd measure 12oz of green by weight, and if you have the drum with the larger holes, use it. If you have a kil-o-wat, measure the voltage at the plug. You want 120v, or at least 118 before you start.
The object of 120z as opposed to the usual 14oz I use is to try and get a slightly faster rise to 1st crack.

Thanks for posting the how to part on the Behmor Rob.

If this is the Esmeralda from SM and you only have a pound then do 8oz batches and do them back to back making improvements from what you learned from the first roast. Luis, if you are hesitant to trust yourself to roast it right away may I suggest you get a pound or two of another Panama bean that is SHB and practice the same batch size and record the times to first and testing stopping before second crack, times won't be exact but they sure will be closer then if you used an Ethiopian bean, lol.

I will never forget the first time I roasted and then drank my first cup of Esmeralda at city+, it completely changed how I approached everything about roasting and brewing. I like to get some every year and even picked up 5 lbs of the Don Pachi dry processed last year but nothing compares to your first. If you like it RoastMasters has some second harvest for $24 per lb with a 15 lb limit.
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 5:17pm

I've been roasting the Panama Esmeralda Boquete Geisha with 8 ounce batch sizes on the 1/2 pound setting and stopping before first crack completes.  I do open the door after about a minute in the cool cycle to speed cooling.  I'm going for City or City- as opposed to City+ with this one and waiting five days to drink.

For me, I really like the time to first crack that a 1/2 pound batch on a 1/2 pound Behmor setting gives, I'm using this as a default setting lately.

I do a bit of the door dance as first crack starts to stretch it out a bit, I use a Variac so I have at least 118 V for the initial drying phase and I don't do any pre-heat with our without the beans, but probably because I have an old 2007 Behmor 1600 with the old style chaff tray, I've heard that users with the new Chaff tray can benefit from a minute to 2:00 of pre-heat with the chaff tray in and the roasting drum out before starting the roast.

This coffee is really nice in the Brazen.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 7:34pm

germantownrob Said:

Thanks for posting the how to part on the Behmor Rob.

If this is the Esmeralda from SM and you only have a pound then do 8oz batches and do them back to back making improvements from what you learned from the first roast. Luis, if you are hesitant to trust yourself to roast it right away may I suggest you get a pound or two of another Panama bean that is SHB and practice the same batch size and record the times to first and testing stopping before second crack, times won't be exact but they sure will be closer then if you used an Ethiopian bean, lol.

THAT is a great idea. Plus, you get more tasty Panama!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 7:40pm

yakster Said:

I do a bit of the door dance as first crack starts to stretch it out a bit, I use a Variac so I have at least 118 V for the initial drying phase and I don't do any pre-heat with our without the beans, but probably because I have an old 2007 Behmor 1600 with the old style chaff tray, I've heard that users with the new Chaff tray can benefit from a minute to 2:00 of pre-heat with the chaff tray in and the roasting drum out before starting the roast.

This coffee is really nice in the Brazen.

Chris. that's some REAL longevity with your Behmor...2007!! Well done.
I have 2 1600's, my original Beta tester, and another one about 4+ years young.
I have the newer chaff tray...highly recommended for visual improvement. I preheat my 1600 a minute 50 seconds with the empty drum in.
I stop the roaster, glove handle the drum, and pour the measured beans in. I rotate the drum so the slightly below room temp beans get warmed up a bit.
Then proceed as usual. works great in the cold months.

EDIT...whoops, apologies to our OP and the other posters for my drift off topic.
Please let us know how your roasts turn out. A photo or 2 would be nice.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
coffee_lui

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-e type B
Vac Pot: Cona D
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 8:28pm

No need to apologize, I enjoy every minute of it.  I'll try tommorow with a 8oz batch at P1 A.  I guess I can tale pictures, I haven't really post picture here but I'll start with a treat.  I just went to Panama on vacation 2 weeks ago and went to a lot of places, including the Boquete area.  Got tons of coffee there.  Anyway let's see if you guys who's on the picture with me!! I'm the one on the left.  Enjoy.  Oh yeah, and for the record, somebody mentioned that I had a Brazen but I don't have one ........ YET!!

coffee_lui: Panama Trip.JPG
(Click for larger image)
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 9:01pm

That was me, I must have misread?

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behmor profile...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.364613056183)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+