Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
how to tell when 1st crack has started
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > how to tell when...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
carsonc

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: bravile
Drip: chemex
Roaster: behmor
Posted Thu Sep 27, 2012, 9:31pm
Subject: how to tell when 1st crack has started

I was roasting some jamacian blue mountain "style" beans, I got them when I bought the Behmor. I was using 10 oz of beans p3 c   1 lb on the machine. At 4 min from the end of the timer I heard 1 pop then it was quite for another min and then 2 or 3 pops then nothing for 30 sec and then it started to pop regularly and I backed off the time for 1 & 1/2 min.  They came out looking ok maybe not as dark as I would have liked but ok.
 My question is which pop should I use as the actual start of 1 st crack.
 After the roast is done and the beans have cooled I put them in an airtight container, would this (being airtight) stop the beans from outgasing or whatever it is they are doing while they rest.
I am very new to bean roasting.
Thanks
Carson
 View Profile Link to this post
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Fri Sep 28, 2012, 4:11am
Subject: Re: how to tell when 1st crack has started

I've never roasted with a toaster oven, but with hot-air roasters I wait for multiple 'snaps' before reducing the input energy. After cooling I fill a quart Mason-style jar with the beans and leave the lid loose overnight,
then seal it the next morning.

oldgearhead: DSC_8379.jpg
(Click for larger image)
carsonc

Posted Fri Sep 28, 2012, 7:50pm

thanks Oldgearhead thats what I would have thought,
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 3:44am

I have found that with the Behmor P2 for that type of bean works best. It allows a clear gap from 1c to 2c.  If they are JBM beans (Hard Beans) they don't roast quickly.  P1 meshes the cracks together so it's harder to tell.  P5 which is ideal for JBM I have to add time to the roast due to the temp ramp.  If you are stuck on using P3 then I would consider pre heating your Behmor.  Use gloves. 2min exactly will bring it to 300F.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
carsonc

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 8:18pm

burner0000 I will try the p2 and see if I can hear the different cracks

one of my problems is that I do not know what each "type" of bean is, let alone how it should be roasted.

I also have a low voltage problem, while the heaters are on in the behmor the voltage drops to 112 (fluke meter)
I moved everything to the garage as it is closer to where the power comes in but it still dropped to 114.

I tried using a 20 amp variac and could get the voltage up to 120 but it was not stable and had to be adjusted too much.

I am now trying to find an old surplus "sola" constant voltage power transformer, but so far all have been to small.

Everything is a process
Carson
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012, 4:45am

I usually do research on each green bean I buy.  Thereís lots of resources online that explain each origin of bean.  Hard beans are grown at high altitudes and soft are grown at lower or ground level. GreenBeanery.ca has a great selection as well as a good description for each bean incl bean type and roast recommendation.  Sweetmarias is also a good place to get some bean and insight.  

For roasting I would do 2 things.  Check your power box and see if you can locate a plug on a circuit that is not being used or turn everything off when roasting.  If you canít I would roast only 1/2lb of green on the 1lb setting.  Youíre still getting a good 1300W-1500W at 112V so you shouldn't have a problem doing that.  2. If you have a larger voltage output like a stove or dryer you can get step down converters that will give you consistant voltage.  Just make sure your stepping it down. :)
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
carsonc

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012, 7:35pm

That's a good idea with the 220 v circuit and a step down. I will see if I have one, the dryer is gas but there might be a plug there also.
Carson
kboom1
kboom1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012, 5:37am

I ran a direct line with 10/2 wire, a 20a breaker,and a 20a duplex recptical off a 200 amp service. I run 2 behmors at the same time and mine never drops under 118v during roasting
carsonc

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012, 8:13pm

I would be happy with a steady 118 v, I have found a 240 to 120 transformer that will drive 1.5 kva which is a little small but should work maybe a little hotter than should be but for the time required and constant supervision I think it will be ok. Have to find one of those odd plugs that 220 v 1 ph requires, Home depot was out of them.
carson
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > how to tell when...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.265102863312)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+