Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Do I have the only one?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Do I have the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 8:23am
Subject: Do I have the only one?

Do I have the only coffee roaster that recycles up to 50% of the hot air that escapes the roast chamber?

My 120 volt, one-pound, fluid-bed, roaster has been working perfectly for 15 months now. It is capable of roasting 500 grams of decaf beans in 12 minutes using only 1000 watts of heat input. However, I usually roast 440 grams of ‘real’ coffee like this:
Drying = 4-5 minutes at 1100 Watts + 20% hot air from roasting chamber.
Ramp-to-first crack = 4 minutes at 1305 watts + 40% hot air from roasting chamber.
Finish = 4-5 minutes at 1100 watts + 20% hot air from roasting chamber.

I constructed this roaster from: a stainless-steel air-pot brewer, a cocktail shaker, a Pyrex bread tube, a spa blower motor, an old toy chest, lots of sweat, and a few Band-aids.

How does the heat recycle work? An air-pot brewer has a flap on the top (water door) and a removable panel on the back. I use the top flap (water door) to make large adjustments to the percent of recycled air during a roast. I set the door on the back to allow less cold air into the ‘mixing chamber’ when the ambient temperature in my garage drops. Currently I have three positions for the rear door: 40F, 60F, and 80F. My goal is to maintain a temperature of 150F (+/- 10F) at the blower air inlet.

What about chaff? I spent several days working on a chaff collector, only to discover I didn’t need one. I have a 40 mesh screen over the roast chamber and a 120mesh screen over the blower air inlet. Most of the chaff ends up stuck to the bottom of the 40 mesh screen so after cooling (in the roast chamber) I tap the screen, all the chaff falls on top of the beans, and I simply vacuum up the chaff. There is very little clean up with water-processed beans. However, I do have to vacuum more with dry-processed beans.

Why do I roast 440 gram loads? Because more won’t fit in a one-quart Mason jar.

oldgearhead: DSC_8386.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
PJK
PJK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Sat Oct 6, 2012, 2:31pm
Subject: Re: Do I have the only one?

Hi Jim,

There was a fluid bed roaster which recycled its hot air. It was called a Cafferosto.  I  think is was well thought of.  I don't know why it was discontinued.
Here is a link:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.cafferosto.shtml

My "breadboard" 800 Watt Z&D roast heater shorted to the case mid roast last night.  I now have all the ceramic pieces which you gave me in front of me with Z&D pieces.  I am trying to work out my NO mica roast heater.  I'm pretty motivated as I have no decent roasted caffeinated coffee here.

Phil

oldgearhead Said:

Do I have the only coffee roaster that recycles up to 50% of the hot air that escapes the roast chamber?

My 120 volt, one-pound, fluid-bed, roaster has been working perfectly for 15 months now. It is capable of roasting 500 grams of decaf beans in 12 minutes using only 1000 watts of heat input. However, I usually roast 440 grams of ‘real’ coffee like this:
Drying = 4-5 minutes at 1100 Watts + 20% hot air from roasting chamber.
Ramp-to-first crack = 4 minutes at 1305 watts + 40% hot air from roasting chamber.
Finish = 4-5 minutes at 1100 watts + 20% hot air from roasting chamber.

I constructed this roaster from: a stainless-steel air-pot brewer, a cocktail shaker, a Pyrex bread tube, a spa blower motor, an old toy chest, lots of sweat, and a few Band-aids.

How does the heat recycle work? An air-pot brewer has a flap on the top (water door) and a removable panel on the back. I use the top flap (water door) to make large adjustments to the percent of recycled air during a roast. I set the door on the back to allow less cold air into the ‘mixing chamber’ when the ambient temperature in my garage drops. Currently I have three positions for the rear door: 40F, 60F, and 80F. My goal is to maintain a temperature of 150F (+/- 10F) at the blower air inlet.

What about chaff? I spent several days working on a chaff collector, only to discover I didn’t need one. I have a 40 mesh screen over the roast chamber and a 120mesh screen over the blower air inlet. Most of the chaff ends up stuck to the bottom of the 40 mesh screen so after cooling (in the roast chamber) I tap the screen, all the chaff falls on top of the beans, and I simply vacuum up the chaff. There is very little clean up with water-processed beans. However, I do have to vacuum more with dry-processed beans.

Why do I roast 440 gram loads? Because more won’t fit in a one-quart Mason jar.

Posted October 3, 2012 link

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
oldgearhead
oldgearhead

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 6:22am

Ah yes, Rosto, the $200 popcorn popper. Problem is, your old Z&D handles the same size load and does it better. However, I think The Green Beanery may still have a couple of Rostos.

Phil, with your skill you must build your own roaster.

oldgearhead: DSC_9153.jpg
(Click for larger image)
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 11:23am

That Rosto is one cool popcorn setup lol
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 5:16pm

oldgearhead Said:

Posted October 3, 2012 link

I don't think so (see schematic of Neuhaus Neotec roaster).

In addition, some of us home roasters who couldn't quite afford a Neuhaus Neotec roaster used to place our Poppery in a cardboard box when we roasted outdoors in winter. I don't know what the percentage of recycled heat was, but it helped a lot when the ambient temp was 10F.

andys: nn_roaster.jpg
(Click for larger image)

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Do I have the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.275314092636)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+