Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Behmor profile for drip?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behmor profile...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
coffee_lui

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-e type B
Vac Pot: Cona D
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 10:26pm
Subject: Behmor profile for drip?

I'm currently roasting for esspreso.  I recently got a Cona Vac Pot but there's really no wow factor so far so my question is.  Is there a specific profile or roast level that might give me more suitable results ?
 View Profile Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Posted Fri Sep 21, 2012, 7:41am
Subject: Re: Behmor profile for drip?

It may be a question of roast level rather than profile. Since vac pot coffee is more about clarity and definition of flavor layers, if your current roasts are on the darker side, you're leaving less of the bean flavor (and more of the roast flavor) to discern in a vac pot. I'd say try roasting City or City+ for vac, if you've been roasting darker.
coffee_lui

Posted Sat Sep 22, 2012, 11:44am

Thanks for your reply GVDub... So based on this information, what coffee/region suits itself better for the kind of roast level necessary for a good cup of drip coffee?
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Sat Sep 22, 2012, 12:48pm

If you’re looking for good flavor for drip I would recommend a bean with some fruity tones to offer in a light roast.  I have only roasted JBM so far with my Behmor but a light roast IMO is always ideal for drip. GVDub is right, darker roasts just burns the taste away.   Try Harrar.  If you’re willing to buy JBM a C-C+ gives you amazing milk chocolate tones both with drip as well as espresso.  Add cinnamon and rum and you got a true JBM beverage! :D
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
coffee_lui

Posted Sat Sep 22, 2012, 9:53pm

Awesome ... I do have some green JBM at home.  How many days of rest do you think I need for a C, C+. roast for it to be good in my Cona?
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Posted Sat Sep 22, 2012, 9:55pm

With Behmor roasts, I find a little more rest is better. I would say 3 days minimum.
coffee_lui

Posted Sat Sep 22, 2012, 10:30pm

Ok, thanks!!
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Sun Sep 23, 2012, 7:22am

Give it 3 days. 2 Days you will still taste the outgasing.  C+ I find is perfect.  FC will taste more like dark chocolate.   :)
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
frankthecrank

Posted Sun Jan 19, 2014, 6:09am

I have been roasting in the Behmor 1600 for about a year. For some reason my roasts were coming out tasting burnt or flat. Actually non drinkable. I have done a lot of reading and I notice that much of the advice online, including this site, is written by espresso drinkers--and geared toward roasting the bean for espresso. Well, I use a Chemex each morning and I find that P1 and P2 were not getting me where I could get a drinkable cup, so I experimented a little. I tried 10oz, set at the 1 lb setting, and hit P5. This roast was much more mellow, drip-appropriate, and actually delicious. It needs at least 2-3 days to degass properly but even 24 hours later was great. I think P1 and even P2, at least on my machine are too powerful, hot, and just like a blow torch on the beans. Incidentally, I roast Colombian and sometimes Mexican Chiapas. For drip lovers we have to be aware that most of the comments on these coffee forums regarding home roasting are from espresso folks and their advice on roasting may not be appropriate for drip brews.
RandomTask

Grinder: Barratza Encore
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Posted Mon Jan 20, 2014, 7:52am

Personally I like trying a few different levels on a roast to see what I think is best for the bean. I tend to buy my beans in larger quantities, most of them at least 5 lbs at a time, so I get a chance to experiment. I do normally start light (I aim for a City - City+ on the first roast) and then push it a little darker next time. On the 3rd roast or so I get the idea on where the bean works the best and roast to that. Some regions I enjoy darker than others. I only roast for drip, thought that doesn't mean that suggestions for roasting from people who drink exclusively espresso are wrong, they're also trying to get a great cup. If these boards have taught me anything, it's that coffee is a highly personal experience. Everyones tastes and what they taste are unique. The whole point isn't brewing an ideal cup of coffee, it's brewing what you think is the best cup of coffee. Take suggestions, experiment and see where you end up.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behmor profile...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.232410907745)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+