Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Quest M3 Roaster - New Asymmetric Heating?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Quest M3 Roaster...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 15 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
onthemoors

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Zassenhaus
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Hottop, Behmor
Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012, 9:10pm
Subject: Re: Quest M3 Roaster - New Asymmetic Heating?

Endo Said:

This has been discussed Ad Nauseum.  I'd like to keep this discussion on topic and free of Latin if possible. Thanks.

Posted September 10, 2012 link

So then a little Queen's English if you will. You and others are promoting the use of equipment that is unsafe.

That should be everyone's concern.
 View Profile Link to this post
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012, 9:55pm

onthemoors Said:

So then a little Queen's English if you will. You and others are promoting the use of equipment that is unsafe.

Posted September 13, 2012 link

For heaven's sake! Regulation stiffels progress. My roaster would be banned in 8 countries, but it
will roast more coffee, in less time, using a lot less energy than anything mentioned in this thread,
so far, including your Hottop and Behmor..

oldgearhead: DSC_8387.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Endo
Endo

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012, 5:37am

onthemoors Said:

Posted September 13, 2012 link

The Quest is not unsafe, only unapproved. If you have information proving otherwise, feel free to share it or stop making false and misleading claims.

Also, I am promoting nothing.
oldgearhead
oldgearhead

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012, 5:56am

I'm following this thread because I'm interested in the heating watt/gram equations for various electric roasting methods. The Quest is a very nice model of a classic drum roaster. I believe, unlike a fluid-bed roaster, it's watt/gram does not change much as larger loads are introduced. It would be very informative, for me, if the ambient temperatures were part of the information.

I'm sorry if I do get upset when some 'regulator' tries to high-jack a thread. Before retirement, I ushered several products through the maze of CE, UL, City of LA Medical, Japan Medical, Lake County IL., and etc.
It is my conclusion: 'you pay the money and you get the sticker'.....or in the Queen's English:graft..
Endo
Endo

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012, 8:22am

oldgearhead Said:

I'm following this thread because I'm interested in the heating watt/gram equations for various electric roasting methods. The Quest is a very nice model of a classic drum roaster. I believe, unlike a fluid-bed roaster, it's watt/gram does not change much as larger loads are introduced. It would be very informative, for me, if the ambient temperatures were part of the information.

Posted September 14, 2012 link

Yes. Let's get back on topic.

What do you mean by ambient temp? ET or room temp? My room temp is always 22C.

I did another roast this morning. I used 225g this time and 10A (1200W). I expected the roast to be slower than last time with 150g and 1050W, but in fact it went too fast. It took only 11 minutes this time,or 1.5 minutes faster. Seems I went to high with the amps for this 225g and I'll attempt it again next time with 9.3A (1120W) and see how it goes. I expect the 10A is better suited for the full 300g charge.

Sorry, no Artisan plot this time. I didn't have my laptop with me today.

A general comment on the roaster itself. The air circulation and chaff capture method works great. The highly flammable chaff blows out of the hot drum immediately and rests safely it the capture screen in the back near the fan. This seems to result in much less smoke and less chance of fire compared to my Behmor. It may not have CE approval, but I feel much safer using this roaster than any other I've tried so far. Of course, it is not totally idiot-proof like my Behmor or the Hotop, but then again, idiots who walk away from any roaster should not be roasting.
Snaxx

Grinder: Capresso Infinity burr
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster
Roaster: I Roast2
Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012, 8:59am
Subject: Re: Quest M3 Roaster - New Asymmetric Heating?

onthemoors Said:

These roasters are not safety approved, Caveat Emptor

You and others are promoting the use of equipment that is unsafe.

What is your determination that this equipment is unsafe?  Sharp metal edges on housing?  Brightly glowing elements that might blind you if you accidentally look at them when they're hot?  Sharp point on thermometer probe?  Small knobs or parts that could come off and be swallowed by little kids or animals?  

oldgearhead Said:

It is my conclusion: 'you pay the money and you get the sticker'.....or in the Queen's English:graft..

Agree there!!

Does everything you, me, or others do, have to have some sort of approval for safety?  Is there some safety agency that I don't know about that I need to contact before I get up on an extension ladder I've set up to paint the window trim on my home?  My welder is unsafe if I don't use protective clothing and devices while using it.  My drill press is unsafe if I try drilling a hole in a small piece of sheet metal I'm holding in my hand.  I sure don't have a problem determining at what point something is unsafe and adjusting safety requirements to make it safe, and likely the majority of us have that ability.  Apparently, a small coffee roaster may now be considered a hazardous device just for what it does, no matter that it meets current design, construction and operation standards, even if someone somewhere thinks it needs special approval.    

I reviewed the Quest webpage and I didn't see any unusual hazards associated with this roaster that would endanger the life or property of the user or anyone else within a mile of it's use that would make me consider it to be a dangerous device any more than other roasters currently in popular use. It certainly appears to be a well designed and constructed roaster, though it's rather light comparing price to capacity. It appears to be a good basic manual drum roaster that would allow unlimited control by an experienced roaster.      

http://www.coffeeshrub.com/shrub/content/quest
Endo
Endo

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012, 11:06am

So it seems the roaster is still capable of doing 300g, even with what appears to be one heater doing most of the heating. Molly said the heater on the left that burns bright orange is the new heater, and the one on the right that glows only barely visible red (even at 10A and 1200W), is the older original heater type (although they both look identical).

My only concern now is the durability of the left heater. If I'm not mistaken, the heater life is related to how bright it glows, so am I going to need to be replacing the left side heater only in 100 roasts? Also, the outer left side shell of the roaster is only 1/2" or so away from the super heater. Is it going to end up turning locally blue from all the left side heat?

Time will tell I guess.

I'm still not sure if I can simply get 2 right side heaters if I don't like the new arrangement. I'll try asking Molly in a few weeks. (I don't want to ask her too many questions this week. Yes....I'm annoying that way :-).
oldgearhead
oldgearhead

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012, 11:16am

Yes, by ambient temperature I meant room temperature. So I'll assume 22C unless otherwise stated.
Also, it looks lake your roaster becomes more electrical efficient as the loads increase, right?
Endo
Endo

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012, 12:06pm

oldgearhead Said:

Also, it looks lake your roaster becomes more electrical efficient as the loads increase, right?

Posted September 14, 2012 link

Seems that way. Do you think the right heater kicks in and heats more as you get closer to 10A? The left heater seems pretty bright orange, even at 8A. But the right heater only starts glowing red above 8A it appears and never gets orange, even at 11A.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012, 1:08pm

I would not be so concerned about the heaters, my HotTop heater glowed red plenty for the first couple of years pushing it with large batches. The element was replaced after 300 roasts, it still worked fine although it needed to be bent back into shape a few times from warping. Is there a reason you think a element glowing red reduces its life? in my mind every electric element for a home stove broiler would need replacing often if this was the case.

I personally think you have an improvement over the two identical elements, I believe in the other thread you already thought this through. Scorching beans is a problem with drum roaster and this design seems to help with the problem of heating the drum to much before surface contact with the beans there is plenty of roast guidelines for the quest at HB and once you find the offset for their posted amperage to your setup you should be able to convert your settings with little problem and soon enough most will probably convert to the higher wattage element. All else fails you can replace the element with the lower wattage element and have what everyone else has.

Good luck with your quest for excellent roasts!
showing page 2 of 15 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Quest M3 Roaster...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.351711034775)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+