Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Watt the F#%$#?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Watt the F#%$#?  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Endo
Endo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Fri Sep 7, 2012, 4:55pm
Subject: Watt the F#%$#?

I ran my Quest roaster for the first time today and got some VERY strange results.

I did the warmup to 190C and dropped in 150g of beans. The fan was set to 4 (minimum) and I turned the amps to 7.5 amps as specified in the manual, but the roast never got beyond 175C BT (or ET), and never hit 1C, even after 19 minutes.

Funny thing is, the amp meter on the Quest and on my Kill-a-watt both read 7.5 amps as per the Quest manual. The Kill-a-watt also read 119V (which should give me about 900W I figure). But for some strange reason, it only reads 560W on the Kill-a-watt? WTF?  This kind explains the slow roast....but whats going on? I'm sure my volts are 119 roughly. Could the amps be wrong on both the Quest meter AND the kill-a-watt? Why is my Kill-a-watt not calculating watts correctly (A x V = W).. right?

Just to check, I plugged the kill-a-watt into my toaster oven. It gave me 119V x 13.1A = 1550W. Perfect. Repeated again on the Quest. STILL, the watts read way too low. Now I'm really confused.

Could the kill-a-watt be providing watts RMS, but only when used with my Quest???? (RMS is about 65% and would explain the reading but not the slow roast time).

It must be something silly and obvious, but I'm totally baffled. Help me electrical guys!
 View Profile Link to this post
Endo
Endo

Posted Fri Sep 7, 2012, 5:07pm
Subject: Re: Watt the F#%$#?

Ahhh....think I discovered the problem. The heater on the right hand side is not glowing red like on the left.

Time to talk to Quest customer support. This should be fun.
Endo
Endo

Posted Fri Sep 7, 2012, 5:35pm

Right heater. Definitely not working.

I think I read about others who have replaced heaters. Can anybody comment?

Endo: 2012-09-07 011 (300x200).jpg
onthemoors

Grinder: Zassenhaus
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Hottop, Behmor
Posted Fri Sep 7, 2012, 6:16pm

You do realize you've purchased a product that has no safety approvals?
Endo
Endo

Posted Sat Sep 8, 2012, 5:23am

Same day response from Quest. Molly is sending me a new heating element and instructions to install. Can't ask for much more than that.

Like all things on the Quest, looks easy to fix by only removing a couple of bolts.
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Sun Sep 9, 2012, 8:07pm

Hi Endo,

In an AC circuit:  power = Voltage X Current X Cosine (phase angle).  In a purely resistive circuit the current and voltage are in phase (0 degrees) hence the power factor ( Cosine of the phase angle) is unity.

Your Kill A Watt will read VA as well as Watts.  There is a button which toggles between Watts and VA.  There is also a button which toggles between Hz and PF (power factor).  At least that is so if you have the same model Kill A Watt as mine.  The number you get for Watts should be the product of the reading for VA and the PF.

Phil

Endo Said:

I ran my Quest roaster for the first time today and got some VERY strange results.

I did the warmup to 190C and dropped in 150g of beans. The fan was set to 4 (minimum) and I turned the amps to 7.5 amps as specified in the manual, but the roast never got beyond 175C BT (or ET), and never hit 1C, even after 19 minutes.

Funny thing is, the amp meter on the Quest and on my Kill-a-watt both read 7.5 amps as per the Quest manual. The Kill-a-watt also read 119V (which should give me about 900W I figure). But for some strange reason, it only reads 560W on the Kill-a-watt? WTF?  This kind explains the slow roast....but whats going on? I'm sure my volts are 119 roughly. Could the amps be wrong on both the Quest meter AND the kill-a-watt? Why is my Kill-a-watt not calculating watts correctly (A x V = W).. right?

Just to check, I plugged the kill-a-watt into my toaster oven. It gave me 119V x 13.1A = 1550W. Perfect. Repeated again on the Quest. STILL, the watts read way too low. Now I'm really confused.

Could the kill-a-watt be providing watts RMS, but only when used with my Quest???? (RMS is about 65% and would explain the reading but not the slow roast time).

It must be something silly and obvious, but I'm totally baffled. Help me electrical guys!

Posted September 7, 2012 link

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Endo
Endo

Posted Mon Sep 10, 2012, 3:29am
Subject: Re: Watt the F#%$#? - Quest Heaters?

PJK Said:

Hi Endo,

In an AC circuit:  power = Voltage X Current X Cosine (phase angle).  In a purely resistive circuit the current and voltage are in phase (0 degrees) hence the power factor ( Cosine of the phase angle) is unity.

Your Kill A Watt will read VA as well as Watts.  There is a button which toggles between Watts and VA.  There is also a button which toggles between Hz and PF (power factor).  At least that is so if you have the same model Kill A Watt as mine.  The number you get for Watts should be the product of the reading for VA and the PF.

Phil

Posted September 9, 2012 link

Thanks Phil. I'll try again with the kill-a-watt with this new understanding.

By the way, I got an answer back from Molly at Quest. She said she talked to the designer Mr.Yen and he said he now uses 2 different heating elements ( though they look identical to me). The element on the left ( bean side) is a higher power heater and glows bright orange. The heater on the right is lower power element that will look only red in comparison. She said they used to use the dark red type on both sides on earlier Quest models. So basically, my Quest is fine and I only need to crank up the amps to 9A or so to work as designed. (Not 7.5A as stated clearly in the manual).

This is the first I heard of this. Does it make sense? It seems quite odd I would need to go to much higher amps than other folks to get hot enough. It also seems a little weird to have so uneven heat ( though I do understand the bean side needs more heat due to the thermal mass of the beans on that side).

Can anyone comment?
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Mon Sep 10, 2012, 8:34am

Hi Endo,

I am not very familiar with the Quest roaster, in fact all I know about it is what I found from an Internet search  this morning.  

I am a bit puzzled at the low PF you are seeing with your Kill-O-Watt.  The motors and electronics are a trivial part of the load in most home roasters so the power factor should be near unity.  I don't know how the Quest controls the heater current.  I am guessing that it uses phase control (triac) control as opposed to a variable transformer (Variac) for cost (and weight) reasons.  The phase control approach gives a lot of distortion to the current.  The Kil-O-Watt may not have the processising speed to accurately calculate the power at low duty cycles.
I have an 800 Watt heater in my roaster and the Kill-O-Watt calls it about 800 Watts at full power but I have not checked through the entire range. I use a Harbor Frieght Router speed control which is a triac type.

My guess is that you may be getting a good bit of power into your roast heaters but the air flow is excessive so that it is wasting too much heat.

Phil

Endo Said:

Thanks Phil. I'll try again with the kill-a-watt with this new understanding.

By the way, I got an answer back from Molly at Quest. She said she talked to the designer Mr.Yen and he said he now uses 2 different heating elements ( though they look identical to me). The element on the left ( bean side) is a higher power heater and glows bright orange. The heater on the right is lower power element that will look only red in comparison. She said they used to use the dark red type on both sides on earlier Quest models. So basically, my Quest is fine and I only need to crank up the amps to 9A or so to work as designed. (Not 7.5A as stated clearly in the manual).

This is the first I heard of this. Does it make sense? It seems quite odd I would need to go to much higher amps than other folks to get hot enough. It also seems a little weird to have so uneven heat ( though I do understand the bean side needs more heat due to the thermal mass of the beans on that side).

Can anyone comment?

Posted September 10, 2012 link

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Endo
Endo

Posted Mon Sep 10, 2012, 7:53pm

Thanks Phil. Your comments were very helpful.

As you guessed, I was reading Watts rather than VA. I pushed the button a second time and the VA value came up. I also looked at the PF reading which was 0.62. It varied quite a bit as I played with the power knob.

All seems good now. I cranked the roaster up to the max rating of 1050W (8.75A x 120V) and got a very nice city roast in about 15 minutes.

I suppose I should have read the kill-a-watt instructions more closely! Thanks for your help.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Watt the F#%$#?  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.335517883301)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+