rarebear Senior Member Joined: 13 Dec 2009 Posts: 213 Location: Rex. Georgia USA Expertise: I love coffee
Espresso: Fiorenzata Bricoletta Grinder: Mazzer Major Vac Pot: Yama 8C Roaster: Hot Top B2
Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012, 6:26am Subject: Re: A search for the 10 best Coffee's!
Coffee changes ever growing season.. Check the scores at Sweet Maria's or read the opinions..
Expensive doesn't always mean good it can mean a small supply..
Take JBM (Jamaican Blue Mountain) Japan buys 80% of what they make, that leaves 20% for the rest of the world.. Yes it's good but if Jamaica was a huge county not an island I think the price would be significantly lower..
andrewbird Senior Member Joined: 27 May 2010 Posts: 10 Location: Youngstown, OH Expertise: I love coffee
Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012, 12:29am Subject: Re: A search for the 10 best Coffee's!
discovering new favorites is arguably the best part of this hobby!
i would nominate:
kenya (brightness and complexity...undertones can range from peaches, grapefruit, lime, blackberry, black tea...) yemen (so wild! a little earthy and bitter, but exotically fascinating. undertones of chocolate, fruit, and herbs) sulawesi (earthy, but not as much as sumatra. full body, low acid, cherry and black pepper undertones!) ethiopia harrar (clean and so sweet and a good one is full of blueberry flavor! such a neat coffee.)
Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012, 1:44am Subject: Re: A search for the 10 best Coffee's!
#10. Italian espresso -- everything else is crap (if this were still the 1980s)
#9. Jamaican Blue Mountain -- everything else is just mediocre (if this were still the 1990s)
#8. Jamaican Blue Mountain -- the mega-lot that got shipped to Japan -- everything else from Jamaica is a ripoff (if this were still the 2000s)
#7. The highest ranking coffee on coffeereview.com or anything that tastes like blueberries (if this were still 2005)
#6. Anything a skilled barista makes on a Clover (if this were still 2010)
#5. Kopi Luwak -- everything else is... hey, stop me if you've heard this one (if this were still last year)
#4. Anything that tastes like lemon (if this were still one minute ago)
#3. Anything that arrived at your local roaster in a micro-lot and is now sold out (just now, I checked)
#2. Anything that peaks in 5 more days but tastes like crap today because you opened the bag right at the 4 day mark on everyone's advice (and you just finished off the last of the bag)
#1. That chocolate plum hazelnut bomb from Roney Villela's farm in Brazil that will not be repeated for another hundred years due to unstable weather patterns and global warming (but I must say, it was delicious while it lasted)
Symbols: = New Posts since your last visit = No New Posts since last visit = Newest post
Forum Rules: No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards. No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum. No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek. No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum. Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards. Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics. Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies. Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies. Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts. Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.