Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Blending start tips?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Blending start...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
David23
David23
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi II, Pasquini...
Grinder: Mahlkoenig K30 Vario,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 5:50pm
Subject: Blending start tips?

I've been roasting a few of Sweet Maria's espresso blends for a while now, and decided it was time to begin roasting my own blends for espresso.  I sourced green beans from a very helpful, but far away supplier, and am now begining my journey into more personal roasting. The trouble is, I am a bit lost right at the beginning.  With help from my bean supplier, I purchased some Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, Sumatra Manheling, El Salvador San Francisco Natural, Brazil Bob-o-link, and also smaller amounts of  Guatemalan Hunapu and Sumatra Peaberry. I thought I would start with a blend of the Ethiopian, Sumatra Manheling, at 50/50, then half of those amounts of the El Salvador and Brazil, making a blend of all 4. Thoughts on this blend as a start? We like brighter, fruity, sweeter and bold enough for capps.  

I have a Behmor, with no data logging, and rely on using the set programs in the Behmor just to try and simplify what appears to be very complicated.   In the past I roast on program P1 or P3, and usually hit "cool" as first crack tapers off or ends completely, but before 2nd crack. Seem reasonable?  Can I roast any of these beans together, or need I roast each of the 4 beans individually, then blend them together?  

Ok, that's where I am now.  I'm anxious for tips that will help me make reasonable progress towards our desired end of getting good, interesting espresso blends at home.  I know data logging etc. is really the only way to definitively repeat roasts, but I don't know anything about the equipment needed or process to use it.  I'd prefer to work on basics now, rather than get too wrapped up in technology. Thanks in advance for any guidance.
 View Profile Link to this post
rarebear
rarebear

Espresso: Fiorenzata Bricoletta
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Vac Pot: Yama 8C
Roaster: Hot Top B2
Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012, 6:29am
Subject: Re: Blending start tips?

You roast beans separately..
You may have better luck roasting for pour overs than for an espresso..
Its an real art to do that but roasting for a vac-pot is pretty easy..
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012, 7:33am

My strategy has always been to start by learning the individual beans, roasting small batches to different degrees and cupping for flavor, to determine which roast level treats which beans the best. Think of what flavor profile you want the blend to have. Do you want a comfort blend, with strong cocoa and caramel notes? A more 3rd Wave espresso that brings brightness and fruit more to the fore?

Start with blends of just two beans and learn how the flavors complement each other. Sometimes it's in a good way, sometimes not so much. Vary proportions and roast degrees to learn how those things affect the final taste. Then start adding other beans.

Also, take a single origin, roast to different degrees and blend those (a melange blend). This way, you can create a blend that maximizes the taste experience of everything that bean has to offer. If it has great fruit at a lower roast, but a really deep chocolate note when roasted to FC+, you can get both qualities in a single cup if you do a melange.

Thom Owen has some good basic blending info in the coffee library on SM's website. After several years of experimentation, I came up with a blend of 40% Brazillian natural process, 40% Central (generally, for me, Guatemalan), and 20% Sumatran that I found quite nice. Reading Thom's blending piece, I realized I'd stumbled on one of the classic espresso blends. Nice to have validation, but also a little peeved to realize that I could have just found and followed that recipe somewhat earlier, sparing myself some, shall we say, less than delectable blends alont the way.

I've been experimenting recently with adding just a little bit (no more than 10-12%) of quality robusta to my espresso blend. Makes it a very traditional Italian-style, although I don't roast quite that dark other than taking the robusta to somewhere in the land between FC+ and Vienna, and adds a little extra richness and crema without being enough for the less desireable robusta flavor characteristics to kick in.

Of course, another approach is to grab handfulls of beans at random, throw 'em in the drum, roast to 2nd crack, and see what you get. As you might expect, repeatability becomes difficult at that point, but there are happy accidents.
genecounts

Espresso: LaSpaz, Olympia Cremina
Grinder: Zass, Baratza Vario,...
Vac Pot: Bodum
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012, 7:35am

Actually roasting for espresso, drip, french press, etc., is easy.  Just keep meticulous notes.  Full City roast is the same whether for drip or espresso.  FC+, vienna, etc, likewise.

Just go to Tom's roasting levels on Sweet Marias and try to meet his parameters as you roast.  I have logs on over 1000 roasts.  I currently enjoy Tom's Liquid Amber blend and have joined http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/  to get some variety to do some of my own blends.

If you go to GCBC check out BoldJava's new offering specifically for blends.  Hint, it is found in Sweet Marias Liquid Amber.
Good luck!
genecounts

Espresso: LaSpaz, Olympia Cremina
Grinder: Zass, Baratza Vario,...
Vac Pot: Bodum
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012, 9:24am

Great stuff there from GVDUB.  That helps to understand blending basics.

Just ordered 10# of Robusta and 3# Monsooned Malabar from GCBC.  Someone that really knows blends speculates that Thom Owen has a 15% mixture of Robusta and unknown ratio of Monsooned Malabar in SM Liquid Amber.  I take my roasts on that one just past second crack a few snaps.  Talk about smoke!

I have been shipping fresh roasts to Afghanistan.  My son tells me one of the favorites is SM Liquid Amber 10 days post roast(takes exactly 10 days from roast to his hands.  Perfect..   With 18 hour days, 7 days per week, the extra caffeine makes them perk up.  His prob is trying to find the one grinder at 4AM in his unit as it floats around.

I plan to start out with 5-8% Robusta to get started.

Thanks to GVDUB, BoldJava, Thom Owen, and many et al.
GVDub

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012, 9:56am

A couple more thoughts:

Find the right base coffee - A good base is going to be something that's well-rounded and smooth, though it might be a little bland, but still tasty when pulled as a single-origin espresso. You want something that you can add flavor to with beans that might be too aggressive in some flavor qualities to stand alone, but adding those notes to the base will make an interesting shot.

Think about balance the same way you do in cooking. After all, coffee is cooking. If you're a creative cook, you think about the way flavors blend in a recipe. Same thing applies to coffee - a little note of something, say a heavily fruited African, might add just the brightness and cut the heaviness of a big-bodied Brazilian to make a balanced blend with personality.

Being a musician, I tend to think in musical terms when blending. Attack, decay, sustain and release, Bass, Middle, Treble, etc. I think of Sumatrans and the like as bass notes, bright, high-altitude Centrals and Africans as treble, and Brazilians and Costa Ricans as Mids, then try and blend for harmony and a nice taste envelope. The analogy might be different for other people, depending on their background, but, in the end, it's all about balance, at least for my palate.
David23
David23

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi II, Pasquini...
Grinder: Mahlkoenig K30 Vario,...
Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012, 12:36pm

GVDub Said:

A couple more thoughts:

Find the right base coffee - A good base is going to be something that's well-rounded and smooth, though it might be a little bland, but still tasty when pulled as a single-origin espresso. You want something that you can add flavor to with beans that might be too aggressive in some flavor qualities to stand alone, but adding those notes to the base will make an interesting shot.

Think about balance the same way you do in cooking. After all, coffee is cooking. If you're a creative cook, you think about the way flavors blend in a recipe. Same thing applies to coffee - a little note of something, say a heavily fruited African, might add just the brightness and cut the heaviness of a big-bodied Brazilian to make a balanced blend with personality.

Being a musician, I tend to think in musical terms when blending. Attack, decay, sustain and release, Bass, Middle, Treble, etc. I think of Sumatrans and the like as bass notes, bright, high-altitude Centrals and Africans as treble, and Brazilians and Costa Ricans as Mids, then try and blend for harmony and a nice taste envelope. The analogy might be different for other people, depending on their background, but, in the end, it's all about balance, at least for my palate.

Posted August 20, 2012 link

Thanks everyone, this is all very helpful (and encouraging).  GVDUB's post above in particular helps me more clearly understand the concept of the blending process. I'll be starting right away.
rarebear
rarebear

Espresso: Fiorenzata Bricoletta
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Vac Pot: Yama 8C
Roaster: Hot Top B2
Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012, 11:22pm

Most Espresso blends are mainly Brazilian I read some place..
GVDub

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 7:02pm

rarebear Said:

Most Espresso blends are mainly Brazilian I read some place..

Posted August 20, 2012 link

That used to be true, but roasters who are catering more to the 3rd Wave shops are stepping beyond a lot of the older traditions in blending. A lot of modern espresso blends are brighter, roasted lighter, and less dependent on commodity Brazilian, at least when it comes to many of the roasters who sponsor CG. You're more likely to find blends that give the Brazilian coffees a miss altogether, chasing a lighter, fruitier flavor profile.
farmroast
farmroast
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Strega,Cremina, MCAL...
Grinder: Majors, Dienes
Vac Pot: Hellem10
Drip: CCD, and more
Roaster: 1kg. DreamRoast
Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 8:05pm

You could roast a light c-c+ DP Ethiopian(fruit, a fc+ Sumatran, A just into a couple snaps of 2nd PN Brazil, and a FC-FC+ Central. Keep them separate and measure and blend per cup/shot adjust.
Use the Brazil and/or Sumatra sa base
Centrals mids.
Ethiopia fruits citrus highs

Ed Bourgeois... LMWDP #167
please visit my blog
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Blending start...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.309689044952)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+