Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Lack of depth in coffee, new to roasting
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Lack of depth in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
badmajon

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012, 7:37am
Subject: Lack of depth in coffee, new to roasting

Hello, I am pretty new to roasting. I've only done a few batches. I am using an air popper (west bend air crazy, modified to bypass the thermostat) and a thermometer to roast my coffee.

Although I am happy in general with the coffee I have roasted, some guatamalan and some rwanda (sorry, don't have bags here so I'm not sure exactly what they are), the coffee seems a bit tart for my tastes. Not really sour, but a sort of 'front of the mouth' tangy kind of flavor. It just doesn't have a lot of body. I have tried roasting to full city to city +, and although the beans taste different depending on roast style and variety, I'm still not getting that deep body I am looking for.

I usually get to my target roast level in 3-4 minutes and I am letting the beans rest for 24 hours before grinding. Like I said, the coffee still tastes much better than the usual stale crap I get in the store, but I have yet to really say "wow!" to anything I've roasted.

Any ideas? Perhaps slowing down the roast time by adding a dimmer to the circuit (or doubling up on extension cords)? I also heard that drum roasters give more body, but I really don't know if I want to throw down 3-400 dollars yet. My wife might kill me... although she does like a good cup of coffee I think I need to woo her a bit with the freshly roasted stuff before I propose that!
 View Profile Link to this post
gimpy

Espresso: Old repaired Starbucks...
Grinder: Zassenhaus
Drip: the AeroPress, Clever Coffee...
Roaster: Behmor 1600 replaces (still...
Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012, 10:21am
Subject: Re: Lack of depth in coffee, new to roasting

Couple of thoughts. It might take a couple of more days of rest to mellow the taste a little. Also, 3-4 minutes is a very fast roast. Try to lengthen that out by 3-4 more minutes (at least). There are several suggestions that you can try, if need be. Some coffees just naturally have a "brighter"/more acidic taste than others. Possibility these are some of those?

Some ideas to extend the roast:

I used a 100' extension cord.
I tilted the popper to allow some of the hot air to bypass the beans.
I also twisted every second or third air vent open more. Keeps the air a tad cooler.

Best of luck.

Frank, "Still the one"
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012, 4:50pm

gimpy Said:

Couple of thoughts. It might take a couple of more days of rest to mellow the taste a little. Also, 3-4 minutes is a very fast roast. Try to lengthen that out by 3-4 more minutes (at least). There are several suggestions that you can try, if need be. Some coffees just naturally have a "brighter"/more acidic taste than others. Possibility these are some of those?

Some ideas to extend the roast:

I used a 100' extension cord.
I tilted the popper to allow some of the hot air to bypass the beans.
I also twisted every second or third air vent open more. Keeps the air a tad cooler.

Best of luck.

Posted August 10, 2012 link

+1

I got a variac for my popper roasts and it worked wonderfully to lengthen the roast times to get a better roast.

LMWDP # 010
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012, 9:25pm

And there you go.
These are all great suggestions.

Did you say you had "by-passed the thermostat?"

Usually, folks separate the blower from the heating element, and use a rheostat type device to be able to manipulate the thermostat up or down.
Is that what you did?

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
badmajon

Posted Sat Aug 11, 2012, 3:24am

Hello, thanks for all of your replies. I ended up using 100' of extension cord, and tilting the popper slightly and managed to increase roast time to about 5:30. Still not enough... the idea of a variac is interesting and easy, but, for $100, I may as well buy a real air roaster or even go for the $300 Behemor drum roaster (which will probably be a christmas present to myself).

I bypassed the thermostat completely by cutting off the wires leading to it, splicing them with an appropriate wire splicing nut, and then moving the connection to the bottom of the roaster as people discussed on the long aircrazy post on sweet maria's coffee forum. BTW, I could not get to first crack at all before I modified it.

Next I think I'll try to modify the air vents, and if need be, look into that dimmer switch.

Thanks! At least I know the roast should be longer and that's what I'll aim for.
mrbjvb

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Anita, Rancilio...
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch, Rocky...
Vac Pot: Yama 8 cup
Drip: Behmor BraZen, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Aug 11, 2012, 7:18am

Most of the "stale crap" you get at the store will be a blend. Single origin fresh roasted coffee will be much more brighter, and have a different flavor.
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Sun Aug 12, 2012, 2:06pm

Cooler weather will help slow down the roast in your unbridled popper. Many years ago when I roasted with them, I found ambient temps of 60-70F worked best.  Try to aim for about a 10 minute roast with at least 3 minutes to finish after first crack starts. ..... that's a tough recipe for an 'uncontrolled' corn popper but will bring more depth of flavor and body to your coffee.
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Wed Aug 15, 2012, 6:04am

Have you tried stovetop roasting?  You have good roast control without all of the mods.  I used a regular Tfal for a while.  It allows up to 1lb roasts.  I would allow at least 4 min just to get to the browning stage.  I have roasted both stovetop and popper for over a year.  The popper I never allowed the inner bean to fully roast.  Fr stovetop the Whirlep pop poppers are awesome and cheap.

Click Here (diyroasting.com)
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
bekeld
bekeld

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Macap 4; Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: Aeropress; Sowdon SoftBrew
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Aug 15, 2012, 6:56am

I really like heat gun dog bowl (HGDB). I'm using a basic 4-4-4... 4 minutes to yellow the beans, 4 minutes to first crack, 4 minutes to finish. For me, this was a good starting point.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Lack of depth in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.27859210968)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+