Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > .  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012, 5:58am
Subject: .

View Profile Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012, 11:34am
Subject: Re: Anyone Look at JavaMaster Coffee Roaster 3002?

Looks like the 5002 gives full control over the roast.The real question is how much money for one of these? Air roasting is quicker but when done by someone that knows their machine it will be of the same quality as a drum roaster. I suspect the 5002 is around what I paid for my Diedrich 1kg roaster.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012, 12:36pm
Subject: .

CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012, 1:21pm

Netphilosopher Said:

These have popped up in a few locations locally.  They are essentially large-capacity forced hot-air roasters with pre-set profiles for bean varieties.

I'm not completely sold on them because they roast so rapidly - approximately 6 minutes to finish a roast (even well into 2C).  Samples from their roaster are definitely superior to much bagged coffee, but has a somewhat harsh character to it, especially noticeable on Guats and other decent centrals as well as African varieties.

They do have a great selection of green coffee, though, at very good price.

http://javamasters.com/the-roaster.html

Posted July 24, 2012 link

I can never figure out why some manufacturers of hot air roasters push the fact that their roasters can roast 6 minutes to over 2nd crack when the optimum is around 12 minutes for a full city + roast (as far as the data I have seen).  Why don't they just turn the juice down a bit to achieve a better roast??

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 4:41am

From the appearance (and colour ...red) I think the Longo's Store at Bathurst and Rutherford in Thornhill Ontario Canada has had a 5002 in service for around a year.  

The guy that runs it seems to know very little about coffee.  He says ...he goes on temperature only.  He pulls the roast at this temp or that to get this level or that.  He seems to know nothing of the process.

So I'm thinking it's a Commercial Appliance, designed to operate safely in a supermarket, without a professional roaster (person) to manage it.

Jerry
gregus

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 9:49am

hmmmmmm
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 10:16am

JKalpin Said:

From the appearance (and colour ...red) I think the Longo's Store at Bathurst and Rutherford in Thornhill Ontario Canada has had a 5002 in service for around a year.  

The guy that runs it seems to know very little about coffee.  He says ...he goes on temperature only.  He pulls the roast at this temp or that to get this level or that.  He seems to know nothing of the process.

Posted July 25, 2012 link

O.T. Hi Jerry, not a JavaMaster Coffee Roaster at my local Fortinos at Hwy 27 & Rexdale Blvd (they have a 12kg Probat drum roaster), but the same situation. It was a girl I was talking to 5 years back & she/they/staff that roast know absolutely ZERO about the process. They have the green coffees weighed out in 12kg tubs with a "cheat sheet" on it, so they're only trained to follow the instructions for that particular bean., as you say "goes on temperature only. He pulls the roast at this temp or that to get this level or that"

The roasts at the Fortinos were way too light, grassy, & not even out of 1st crack by the look & taste of them. Very sad & it shows in the flavor of the coffee, lousy! {:'-(

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 1:33pm

Also O. T. Craig, the interesting part is the bins of coffee around the roasting station.  The prices range from $4 to $8 /100g for specialty coffees.  That's expensive, even considering that sealed Illy on the adjacent grocery shelf sells for $12 for 8.5 Oz (240 gm).

Nevertheless, one of my sons (not Adam) buys there when he's 'stuck'.  He prefers my roast.

Jerry
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 2:11pm

JKalpin Said:

Nevertheless, one of my sons (not Adam) buys there when he's 'stuck'.  He prefers my roast.

That's great that he prefers your roasts Jerry!

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 2:13pm

CraigA Said:

O.T. Hi Jerry, not a JavaMaster Coffee Roaster at my local Fortinos at Hwy 27 & Rexdale Blvd (they have a 12kg Probat drum roaster), but the same situation. It was a girl I was talking to 5 years back & she/they/staff that roast know absolutely ZERO about the process. They have the green coffees weighed out in 12kg tubs with a "cheat sheet" on it, so they're only trained to follow the instructions for that particular bean., as you say "goes on temperature only. He pulls the roast at this temp or that to get this level or that"

The roasts at the Fortinos were way too light, grassy, & not even out of 1st crack by the look & taste of them. Very sad & it shows in the flavor of the coffee, lousy! {:'-(

Craig, did they measure temp of bean mass?  I have been using the time and temp section of a guide that Tom has on the SM website and have found it to be pretty much on the money.  I go for a Full City+ with a single origin and at 11:50 @ 454F (sea level), roasting 5 lbs. at a time, and I'm hitting it all the time.

Click Here (www.sweetmarias.com)

I gather that one is to likely use the guide as a general reference, but its been working well for me.  I'm measuring temp of bean mass.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > .  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.445785045624)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+