Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Hottop v. Behmor
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Hottop v. Behmor  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 7 of 13 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
gregpullman
gregpullman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Minore III
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Roaster: Hottop B&P, redundant Gene...
Posted Wed Jun 20, 2012, 7:34pm
Subject: Re: Hottop v. Behmor

Interesting Randy... what did Joe have to say about which market the Behmor is aimed at vs the Hottop? In any product Some people seem to think whatever they use is THE product for all people so it would be interesting to hear what the guy who made it sees as its market.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Jun 20, 2012, 9:28pm

We didn't get into the specifics of that, but I think it is at least somewhat obvious based on the price points. Based on the general function, the control level of the "B" is unmatched )(in my somewhat-prejudiced opinion, if only because I have been using them for so many years and am on fairly intimate terms with the workings of them) , and for the price and capacity, the Behmor is a very good value. I have never used one, but from what I have heard and read, the Behmor would drive me nuts. Call me a control freak..  ;-)

We actually spent much of the time talking about his new brewer which when it arrives will give me more excuse to run the Hottop more! Coming soon to a home coffee shop near you... "WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE"  ;-)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
gregpullman
gregpullman

Espresso: Expobar Minore III
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Roaster: Hottop B&P, redundant Gene...
Posted Wed Jun 20, 2012, 10:26pm

thanks. It's bizarre, if someone dared suggest on a certain AU forum the behmor's evident lack of control meant it was less capable of professional results than a hottop you'd be crucified, accused of commercial bias, howled down by people who don't sell the  hottop and so on. Nice to read a bit of self-evident common sense. I've got a behmor and its value for money is indisputable, but control, experimenting and consistent results across batch variations are not its strong points.
Ian
Ian

Espresso: Euro2000,Rancilio
Grinder: Mazzer,La Cimbali
Vac Pot: Cona-->CraigA
Drip: Belgique for emergencies
Roaster: Primas with variac
Posted Thu Jun 21, 2012, 12:02am

frcn Said:

I have never used one, but from what I have heard and read, the Behmor would drive me nuts.

Posted June 20, 2012 link

I think it would as you know how to roast and more specifically, what you need to do to get the results you personally want.

I think the Behmor is more suited to those who haven't roasted before to get used to the sights and sounds etc. of roasting. In which case, it's probably a good introduction and in most cases, a step up from buying supermarket beans.

Call me a control freak..  ;-)

You're a control freak.

Like me obviously ;)

http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/worldregional/uk/660580  - Green Coffee List
 View Profile Link to this post
gucciago
gucciago
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: 07 La Marzocco Linea...
Grinder: MAZZER Major with doser
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: N/A
Roaster: Custom Gas Drum Roaster/PID...
Posted Fri Jun 22, 2012, 1:08pm

Yeah I should have explained more before posting... lol My point was in my case, at 8 oz id be roasting everyday just to keep my family satisfied... lol I have a Behmor and of course no experience with a hottop and it does look like a nice machine... I roast on a custom made sample roaster and it works fantastically and the behmor I use occasionally , Im currently in the market for a Dedrich 1kilo or similar for my local roasting business , however Ive been roasting for about 12 years and can get some fantastic roasts with the Behmor that even though different than the batch roaster, are great... 8 oz just to me seems like such a small roast for 1000$ after tax... so comment was not to badmouth the HOTTOP.. but to show frustration on the exuberant price ... I remember when it was around 600 maybe less it seems I remember and I thought it was too expensive then also! maybe I need try one.. maybe its Gods gift to small roasters! lol
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Fri Jun 22, 2012, 2:11pm

gucciago Said:

Yeah I should have explained more before posting... lol My point was in my case, at 8 oz id be roasting everyday just to keep my family satisfied... lol I have a Behmor and of course no experience with a hottop and it does look like a nice machine... I roast on a custom made sample roaster and it works fantastically and the behmor I use occasionally , Im currently in the market for a Dedrich 1kilo or similar for my local roasting business , however Ive been roasting for about 12 years and can get some fantastic roasts with the Behmor that even though different than the batch roaster, are great... 8 oz just to me seems like such a small roast for 1000$ after tax... so comment was not to badmouth the HOTTOP.. but to show frustration on the exuberant price ... I remember when it was around 600 maybe less it seems I remember and I thought it was too expensive then also! maybe I need try one.. maybe its Gods gift to small roasters! lol

Posted June 22, 2012 link

If you need more coffee, it's as simple as doing a couple batches in a sitting. By removing the bean chute cover, rear filter, and face plate and running it through its cooling cycle, it gets down to the appropriate temperature pretty quickly.
Endo
Endo

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Fri Jun 22, 2012, 4:05pm

Why pay three times as much for a machine that you need to run twice? Just doesn't make sense.

If they make a 1lb hottop like they have been promising for years ( and keep the price the same)....I may consider trading in my Behmor.
jammin
jammin

Grinder: Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: manual
Roaster: quest m3
Posted Fri Jun 22, 2012, 4:40pm

gucciago Said:

so comment was not to badmouth the HOTTOP.. but to show frustration on the exuberant price ... I remember when it was around 600

And just what would be a fair price?  How do you figure it is such a bad deal?  ....... I remember when gas was $1/gallon

Endo Said:

Why pay three times as much for a machine that you need to run twice? Just doesn't make sense.

If they make a 1lb hottop like they have been promising for years ( and keep the price the same)....I may consider trading in my Behmor.

It's all about gaining control over the roast.  You'd be surprised how much small changes in roast profile can affect the cup.

roast your own
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Fri Jun 22, 2012, 6:35pm

Endo Said:

You pay for the control over the roast. That includes the cooling process. I'm not arguing against the Behmor either. I think that they both have their niche in the market and are both fantastic roasters.
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600+
Posted Fri Jun 22, 2012, 7:28pm

I think this thread is really about 'control'.  However, that is not the only criterion:

My Behmor looks good in the kitchen.  As I live in a condo, that's the only possible place for indoor roasting.

Under the stove hood with the fan on low it does not set off smoke alarms.

After I 'peg' the best spot for a bean (usually 3 roasts) I can reproduce that result time after time.  As I usually buy 10-15 lbs at a time it is more a production roaster than an experimental machine.

For 1/3 the price of a Hottop I get 80% of the bean potential.  It's an economical solution.

Jerry
showing page 7 of 13 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Hottop v. Behmor  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.345451831818)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+