Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Behmor Fire
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behmor Fire  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Ian
Ian

Espresso: Euro2000,Rancilio
Grinder: Mazzer,La Cimbali
Vac Pot: Cona-->CraigA
Drip: Belgique for emergencies
Roaster: Primas with variac
Posted Thu May 31, 2012, 11:35pm
Subject: Behmor Fire

So, this is the third fire Iíve had with the Behmor. The first two had exactly the same cause Ė poor welds on the drum catch failed allowing the drum to slew off its axis.

The cause of the third fire is unknown.  I have the roaster set up in an old chicken house that is now used as a shed and  it is visible from the back of my house and I usually observe the roast from there or the garden depending on the weather.

6-7 minutes into the roast and there was smoke issuing from the shed, visible flames in the roaster so opened the door with a short stick at arms length.(I wouldnít recommend this if youíre not prepared) The beans were well alight, so on with the welding gloves and removed the drum to the bottom of the garden.

After cooling, the roaster is dead -  Nothing on the display and no response from the buttons.

Current options seem to be:

a) Try and repair the roaster

b) List it on ebay as it is.

c) Convert it to manual operation with maybe a PID or variable transformer controlling the heating elements

d) Fill it with concrete and use it as a boat anchor

Suggestions welcome.

http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/worldregional/uk/660580  - Green Coffee List
 View Profile Link to this post
microb

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Saeco Aroma w/ Naked...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jun 1, 2012, 5:04am
Subject: Re: Behmor Fire

Hi Ian,

I think you can send it back if it's within the 2 years warranty? Repair/replacement will be 50% the price of a new one... Ask the Behmor guy :)

I had one fire in mine, and it started as a chaff fire that I didn't notice; and for some reason there was a chain reaction and everything burned. Luckily, the Behmor still runs fine.

Otherwise,

d) Fill it with concrete and use it as a boat anchor

seems like the best option :)

good luck!

Michel
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Jun 1, 2012, 9:26am
Subject: .

oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Fri Jun 1, 2012, 12:27pm

Old suggestion from Joe:
REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Fri Jun 1, 2012, 2:17pm

oldgearhead Said:

Old suggestion from Joe:
REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!

Posted June 1, 2012 link

Not sure it would ever fly with Joe's attorneys but it was an old chicken coop,lol.

I had a fire while standing in front of my Behmor and while it did keep the fire from getting worse the results where the same, dead roaster. This is a real issue and something that never got answered satisfactory for me since neither of my fires where operator errors (ie roasting beyond second crack) I stopped using the Behmor and have not had a fire since. The Behmor is a plug and play and this forum is full of reports of fires, given none have been serious enough to go beyond the roaster thankfully, but how much user error can there be with a plug and play when following the guidelines? For me it is just unacceptable, at least some changes where made and I have seen far few reports of any fires here.

Ok a BiG disclaimer... Never leave your coffee roaster unattended...crap happens even when it shouldn't.
sea221

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: French Press/Bunn
Roaster: SC/TO and 2 Kilo gas Drum...
Posted Fri Jun 1, 2012, 2:26pm

I think for those that prefer to leave any kind of coffee roaster unattended maybe consider a Halon fire suppression system lol. Joe would be very kind to rebuid your roaster for half price! if he does.
sea221

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: French Press/Bunn
Roaster: SC/TO and 2 Kilo gas Drum...
Posted Fri Jun 1, 2012, 2:38pm

sea221 Said:

I think for those that prefer to leave any kind of coffee roaster unattended maybe consider a Halon fire suppression system lol. Joe would be very kind to rebuid your roaster for half price! if he does.

Posted June 1, 2012 link

I wonder if keeping it clean and not let oils to build would help in reducing fire risk. Also isn't there a over temp circuit designed into the system. I don't have a Behmor roaster so I don't know a hole lot about them other then I do know basic roasting practices.
scrutinizer

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Vario, Rocky
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Alpenrost, Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Jun 2, 2012, 8:04am

Ian Said:

So, this is the third fire Iíve had with the Behmor. The first two had exactly the same cause Ė poor welds on the drum catch failed allowing the drum to slew off its axis.

The cause of the third fire is unknown.

Posted May 31, 2012 link

You didn't say what the bean load was and what roast settings were used.  Seems like it would have to be a small charge to catch fire after 6 minutes if the roaster were working correctly.  Perhaps the drum stopped turning but if that were the case you would have noticed it if you were properly monitoring the roast.  

You really have to be next to the roaster and WATCH what is happening to the beans as the roast progresses.  Doing it this way allows the person roasting to understand if the roast is progressing too fast or going too dark too fast.  It also allows the person roasting to identify any mechanical/electrical problems early before they get out of hand and turn off/unplug the machine.  The cause here is unknown because you were not paying attention to the roast.

Opening the door when you see flames is a bad idea as it provides fuel to sustain any fire that has started...with the door closed and the machine off the fire should consume the oxygen in the chamber and go out.

Pat
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600+
Posted Sat Jun 2, 2012, 7:46pm

Ian, considering your post seriously:

I wonder if you were close enough to see/hear that the drum was rotating normally.  

I wonder if it was the higher UK voltage and insufficient clearance (somewhere) that arced over and fried the control circuit.

If the fire occurred 5-6-7 minutes into the roast it would be most likely that the motor stopped, for some unknown reason.  It might have even been a gear-train failure.  

I can understand why you might want to find a different brand of roaster.  Yet, this news forum is full of posts extolling the virtues of the Behmor roaster and very few about concerns that Joe could not easily fix.  It is a competent roaster at a good price-point.

Jerry
Ian
Ian

Espresso: Euro2000,Rancilio
Grinder: Mazzer,La Cimbali
Vac Pot: Cona-->CraigA
Drip: Belgique for emergencies
Roaster: Primas with variac
Posted Thu Jun 7, 2012, 12:20am

I think you're generally right, if someone has never roasted before it is probably a good introduction but for anybody who has roasted before it can be a frustrating machine.

Cheers

Ian

http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/worldregional/uk/660580  - Green Coffee List
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behmor Fire  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.321635961533)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+