Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Roast levels in Behmor - seeking some advice
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Roast levels in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
johnboddie

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: MCAL, Brasilia Mini Classic,...
Grinder: Rossi RR45a,Rocky,...
Drip: Cuisinart (non-grinding)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat May 19, 2012, 4:44pm
Subject: Re: Roast levels in Behmor - seeking some advice

Because I'm out at the end of the grid, my voltage can vary substantially. I find the Kill-a-watt meter to be invaluable when considering how I'll go about completing the roast. When I'm roasting for my wife (She likes Columbian in a drip maker) I'll usually use P2 and if the voltage is 119 or 120, I'll let it go about five seconds into second crack before hitting the Cool button. If the voltage is 116 or 117, I'll let it go fifteen seconds into second crack for the same result, which is a FC+ (dark bean no oil no grassy smell sometimes a bit of chocolate, sometimes not).

I've done over 400 roasts on the Behmor and have experienced one fire (cleanup is a real pain) and I consider it a very good half-pound roaster. I can reliably use P3 to get my Ethiopian to FC and my Brazilian to Vienna. What I've learned is that the machine helps you significantly, but the final result involves a lot of sound, smell and practice.
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat May 19, 2012, 5:25pm

johnboddie Said:

I consider it a very good half-pound roaster. I can reliably use P3 to get my Ethiopian to FC and my Brazilian to Vienna. What I've learned is that the machine helps you significantly, but the final result involves a lot of sound, smell and practice.

Posted May 19, 2012 link

Agree with all except] the 1/2 # roaster thing.
I routinely roast 14oz by weight, SO's and espresso blends. I can easily get a 2nd crack result..if I want, with no baked beans.
My trick is to ALWAYS use the "A" profile, and making sure the beans are at room temperature.
Another well known workaround is to Start a roast, then stop it at 1minute-50 seconds.

Then restart the roaster with your normal profiling. This gives the green (and the Behmor) a little "kick-start" towards the yellowing process.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sun May 20, 2012, 7:10pm

Yes, P2 is a great profile for many beans.  Keeping track of the variables, as mentioned above, makes it pretty easy to be consistent with the down-shift of heat near the start of 1C.  Or maybe I'm just lucky.  :)

Immediately after pressing cool, I open the door and remove the chaff tray (hot mitts...) to speed up the initial cool down.  Having the door open gets lots of chaff around the roast table, but that's the only downside for my Behmor, purchased early on.

LMWDP # 010
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Sun May 20, 2012, 8:19pm

Prof Said:

Yes, P2 is a great profile for many beans.  Keeping track of the variables, as mentioned above, makes it pretty easy to be consistent with the down-shift of heat near the start of 1C.  Or maybe I'm just lucky.  :)

Immediately after pressing cool, I open the door and remove the chaff tray (hot mitts...) to speed up the initial cool down.  Having the door open gets lots of chaff around the roast table, but that's the only downside for my Behmor, purchased early on.

Posted May 20, 2012 link

I do the same...remove the chaff tray. I also have a low power small stationary fan, just enough to circulate a little cool garage air on the roast in the drum as it cools.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
godofgwar

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Single Dripper/Aeropress
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Mon May 21, 2012, 4:21pm

I second what Rob said about roasting lighter. I began roasting for espresso by going right up to or past C2, but I after comparing to some of my favorite local micro-roasters (Blue Bottle, Four Barrel, Sightglass), I noticed that they all roast espresso on the lighter side. Now I usually stop my roasts at least 20 seconds before C2 for a nice, sweet pull. Smells wonderful, not at all grassy. (I also crack the door about a minute into C1)

-Chris
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Mon May 21, 2012, 6:10pm

Thanks. It has recently occurred to me that a may be over roasting slightly (mostly FC to FC++). I'll aim for FC with many of my roasts now.
iowaboy

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia New Baby; Vev & GB...
Grinder: Preciso, Solis Maestro+
Drip: Melitta Pourover, Krups,...
Roaster: Behmor, FR8+
Posted Thu May 24, 2012, 3:23pm

IMAWriter:
What weight of greens are you roasting as per your comments on stopping x number of seconds before 2C above?
Paul
BarryR

Posted Sat May 26, 2012, 8:27pm

Time for me to start playing with P2. I've rarely used it in the past.
I usually roast 10-12 oz and when I use P3, I often select A instead of B or C.
Using RoasterThing, I can see how the profile curves line up and P2 A should get me 60-90 seconds before 1C at the time of the power drop.
Need I be concerned that it won't go back to full power on the profile for quite a while (the roast may even be done before that)?

PS: My voltage is usually 117 or so (preload) so my roasts are on the slightly slower side.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Sat May 26, 2012, 8:48pm

iowaboy Said:

IMAWriter:
What weight of greens are you roasting as per your comments on stopping x number of seconds before 2C above?
Paul

Posted May 24, 2012 link

Paul, I generally roast 14oz by weight, as my tables have been based on that amount for quite some time.
When I roast for espresso ( my green blends that have been pre-blended and allowed to moisture stabilize together for a week) I often do 12oz, as i want to assure of being able to hit 2nd crack within my expected time frame.
This often depends on how much Brasilian, or other low grown bean is in the blend.

I'm not the most scientific guy around here (prolly an huge understatement...lol0 but I've found that decent record keeping can really aid in getting closer to one's hopeful result.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
BarryR

Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 4:40am

I just roasted some SMs El Salvador Finca La Montanita Bourbon.
I used P2 A. I new (from previous roasts) that the power cut would occur about 90 secs before the onset of 1C that would have occurred with a P1 profile. What ended up happening though is that 1C didn't happen until after the power ramped back up (1C 17:27, 2C 20:00)

I think I should have used P2 C (which I realize is my plan) but my question is:
Are there ppositive effects on the roast that could be obtained from lowering the power before (but not during) 1C, or is this just likely to bake the beans?
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Roast levels in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.315629959106)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+