Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
solving variability in Turbo Crazy
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > solving...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
hoangelos

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 10:34am
Subject: solving variability in Turbo Crazy

I use a Sunpentown SO-2002, a 10" springform pan, and a WB Stir Crazy with the heater turned off.  I've made the mod replacing the plastic shaft.  And have put like 5 barrier strips on each arm.  I just did the barrier strips mod this weekend.  I'm going to do my first roast on it.  However, I took a look at how the unit push around green beans, and was disappointed.  It really just pushed them and didn't really circulate them much.

The problem I've had so far is variability in the roast.  And I'm afraid to roast to 2nd crack, because some of the beans seem dark and some don't.  I'm goign to guess that when I roast tonight that won't change.  Has anyone seen this is a Turbo Crazy before and if so how did they solve it?
 View Profile Link to this post
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 10:45am
Subject: Re: solving variability in Turbo Crazy

Here are some suggestions:

1. Reduce the number of barrier strips on each are to 2 or 3
  2. Experiment with the charge (amount of green), to find out if more or less will stir better
  3. Take control of the heating element on the Sunpentown
  4. Use a BBQ or meat roasting thermometer to measure bean mass temp during roasting

When I used the SCTO setup...

I used a Variac to control the Turbo Oven with the turbo oven's normal thermostat disabled or set to max.  This allowed me to control the heat input much better.  

I also experimented with the amount of coffee so that the stirring arrangement would agitate and turn the beans nicely.  Too much and the beans wouldn't move around...too little and the beans would just get pushed around without being agitated to turn and mix.  

Also, I found a nice digital thermometer with a probe that would rest over the edge of the springform pan so that the tip was setting in the bean mass as the roast progressed.  This was a great help to me getting consistent roast profiles.  

Cheers,
Jon

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
sea221

Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: French Press/Bunn
Roaster: SC/TO and 2 Kilo gas Drum...
Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 11:28am

The Digital temperature meter is a must with probe in the bean mass. Two important readings that I need is pre heat to 350 deg dump in beans when bean temp gets 350 I count down 3 min then I bump it up to 440 Deg the first sign of second crack I dump. The only reason I use the temp meter is so my bean temp never gets above 435 - 440 this assures me that I get a nice roast. I have found that using 1/4" copper tubing about 5" long slid over the stir arm wire works the best. Hope this makes sense to ya. this method I have found is the best.
hoangelos

Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 11:29am

Thanks for the tips, and so quickly.  My concern is thermometer (the K-type thermocouple style) plus a Variac is more than I would have paid for the setup so far.  I'm looking for the most cost effective way of doing a weeks worth of coffee in one go.  And so, I hope that I don't have reduce so much to roast more than a couple of times a week.  I mean at this price to get rid of the variability I could have purchased a Behmor.  Wish someone would have just told me that originally :-D
hoangelos

Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 11:32am

sea: how many beans do you typically use?  I have a friend that I think may use the copper tubing.  Haven't thought of that.
sea221

Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 11:59am

Copper tubing works great,  I load 14 oz, if bump it up to a pound I switch on the SC bottom heat just to get things going, allot of mass for a big load, this get things going. I use a GG 1400 watt turbo oven 1'1/2 spacer 3/4 inch hole drilled in the spacer. I found some little round louvers that I insert into the hole seem to work good for chaff ejection. I do have a screen that I put around the SC just to control the chaff from blowing around, no mess in the garage that way. My roast last about 13 to 14 min Just a thought!  heating elements wear out over time/use, the older they are the more voltage required to get optimum output.. I love this way to roast, with time and practice you will get to a point were sound color and smell will be your control method oh yes don't let temps get to high. I hate oily burnt beans.
sea221

Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 12:13pm

The Behmor is a nice machine however over time you will soon realize the TO/SC is the best and most cost effective way to roast and it's a hoot trying defferant things. You are limited in a few ways with the Behmor, don't get me wrong for the person who wants to just push a button and roast coffee  the Behmor is the only way to go for the price.  gotta go
hoangelos

Posted Thu May 24, 2012, 7:20am

Well, the variability seems better. I went to 3 barrier strips.  And went from cold machine to try to prolong the drying phase.  It seemed to first crack about 10 minutes or so.  First crack stopped about 12 minutes or so.  I stopped the roast at about 17 minutes or so.  I didn't hear a second crack.  I'm anxious to retry.  I'll try to preheat.  I really need to get a thermometer for sure to ensure I'm not going to high with them.  I realize without it I'm really shooting blind.

The roast doesn't taste burnt nor tipped.  It doesn't taste as fruity as I'd expect, so I think I'm probably somewhere between FC+ and Vienna, but we'll see as I let it set a bit more.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > solving...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.242415189743)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+