Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Need advice on decaf green for acid reflux issues
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Need advice on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
nennafir

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Bunn LPG-2E
Drip: Bunn Axiom DV TC
Roaster: RK Drums
Posted Wed May 16, 2012, 8:42pm
Subject: Re: Need advice on decaf green for acid reflux issues

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Hello Phil.  Looks like an old thread that got active again.  Since my original post I drink just regular coffee again, no decaf.  I try to stick to no more than 4 cups a day. Also I have found that, believe it or not, a cup of mint tea about an hour before bed stops any nightime acid reflux issues.  I was in to a TUMS kick, but found out that caused other digestion issues.  

Len

Posted May 16, 2012 link

Oops...sorry for the necromancy...I saw dates of May but of course neglected to note :D that they were in 2006.

Mint tea, huh?  Mint is supposed to relax the LES valve, so it is interesting that this works for you.
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Wed May 16, 2012, 9:16pm

nennafir Said:

Oops...sorry for the necromancy...I saw dates of May but of course neglected to note :D that they were in 2006.

Mint tea, huh?  Mint is supposed to relax the LES valve, so it is interesting that this works for you.

Posted May 16, 2012 link

I believe that an excess amount of it may; however a moderate amount (not overly strong) helps alot in digestive issues.  Spearmint tea have been used for eons for such:

Click Here (www.livestrong.com)
http://www.helpforibs.com/supplements/peppermint.asp

Lots more on the net.  I swear by it.  I used to use prilosec, axid, tums, and the others, but wanted to stop using them and go a more natural herb route.  Tums killed my lower digestive tract, gave me horrible gas/diarrhea.  The spearmint tea did it for me.  

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Wed May 16, 2012, 10:56pm

Hi Len,

I feel better now, even if you are at near abstinence it is better than no coffee at all.  Faced with that prospect I would consider the surgery which nennafir mentioned even though the thought of knives applied to my body makes me shudder.

Phil

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Hello.  I have that freakin' acid reflux issue that hits alot of us coffee drinkers.  I had it in the past, before I started roasting.  Now I have it again and it really stinks.

The problem is that I cannot drink caffeinated coffee.  It is the caffeine that causes the reflux, believe it or not.

So I guess what I am asking is do any of you know a great decaf blend that tastes super?  Again, no caffeine, real low in acid, tastes great.

Please let me know.  I am on my 4th day with no coffee at all.  I am past the major headaches, however I have to do a 2 week stretch here.  And afterwards I do not want to go through this again.

NEED GOOD DECAF BAD.  HELP ME ~~~~~~~~~...........

Len
CoffeeRoastersClub.com

Posted May 18, 2006 link

Philip J. Keleshian
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu May 17, 2012, 8:39am

PJK Said:

Hi Len,

I feel better now, even if you are at near abstinence it is better than no coffee at all.  Faced with that prospect I would consider the surgery which nennafir mentioned even though the thought of knives applied to my body makes me shudder.

Phil

Posted May 16, 2012 link

Phil, have you ever tried peppermint tea?  A glass a day before bed has helped me out alot.  I don't even take antiacids anymore.  I get my tea loose at coffeebeandirect.com.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
atalanta
atalanta
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia
Grinder: Braun burr grinder
Drip: Capresso Grind & Brew,...
Roaster: Fresh Roast
Posted Thu May 17, 2012, 4:44pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Phil, have you ever tried peppermint tea?  A glass a day before bed has helped me out alot.  I don't even take antiacids anymore.  I get my tea loose at coffeebeandirect.com.

Len

Posted May 17, 2012 link

For bulk herb purchases I like www.herbalcom.com I have been buying tea from them for years. Peppermint is under $5/lb. They have a flat handling fee of $7 (free shipping) so I try to make sure I buy a couple pounds at once.
 View Profile Link to this post
gregr

Espresso: Livia 90
Grinder: Moka
Drip: CCD
Roaster: Huky
Posted Sun May 20, 2012, 2:03pm

I read somewhere that using a paper filter helps with the acid issue. When I'm not drinking espresso I make coffee with a Clever Coffee Dripper and paper filter- both available at SM's. Haven't had any acid trouble since I started making coffee that way. FWIW.
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 1:20pm

Hi Len,

I got some Stash Herbal Tea Bags of Peppermint tea.  There may be something to this. I had a cup last night. I was feeling generally lousy and it seemed to help.  It isn't hard to drink.  Is it OK for a Coffeegeek to admit this?  I'm not a tea person. Are tea bags the abomination that we would consider instant coffee crystals?

Phil

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Len

Posted May 17, 2012 link

Philip J. Keleshian
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Need advice on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.345816135406)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+