Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Gene Cafe Roasters
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Gene Cafe...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 2:55pm
Subject: Re: Gene Cafe Roasters

frank828 Said:

i wouldnt be surprised if he sold them all by now.

i can vouch that he is a real person and seems legit.  i talked to him by phone and was going to pick one up locally from him.  I decided i was going to just use my behmor that i had gotten a week earlier and decided to pass.  

The details on why he had 11 to sell were a bit complicated and is probably best left to the OP to explain to you.

Posted May 18, 2012 link

Legit or not he circumvented the buy/sell rules and I am surprised this has slipped through the cracks of the Mods.
 View Profile Link to this post
jefft

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Kyocera...
Vac Pot: Stove top - Bodum
Drip: Melitta manual pour-over,...
Roaster: Behmor; Air Popper - Poppery...
Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 4:36pm

frank828 Said:

i wouldnt be surprised if he sold them all by now.

i can vouch that he is a real person and seems legit.  i talked to him by phone and was going to pick one up locally from him.  I decided i was going to just use my behmor that i had gotten a week earlier and decided to pass.  

The details on why he had 11 to sell were a bit complicated and is probably best left to the OP to explain to you.

Posted May 18, 2012 link

The guy who tried to scam me actually sent me a cashiers check written from a college.  They FedEx'd the check and everything.  This guy had almost every red flag in the book, from "I need to blow these out", to a comment that he does not have time for ten posts.....and it was his first posting on the forum. This guy said he had tenants, so he was a "business man" just like my guy was.  The last thing, which finally made my guy go away, was the mention of Paypal.  

Like I said, I may just be jaded because of my experience, but there was nothing legit sounding about this post.  Buyer beware.
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 5:00pm

i too was pretty skeptical, especially after seeing the price he was asking.

i saw his ad on CL and ran through my typical CL seller check...mainly meaning i googled the phone number.  ha

his number was definitely associated with what he claimed to be.  he has tenants and he also has a presence in seattle.  actually i think it was a seattle phone number.

in my case, since it was a CL sale, i had the opportunity for a cash transaction in person.  so yeah...not too much scamming possible.   even if the thing was broken, at the price he offered it, it would have been worth it.
jefft

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Kyocera...
Vac Pot: Stove top - Bodum
Drip: Melitta manual pour-over,...
Roaster: Behmor; Air Popper - Poppery...
Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 5:53pm

frank828 Said:

i too was pretty skeptical, especially after seeing the price he was asking.

i saw his ad on CL and ran through my typical CL seller check...mainly meaning i googled the phone number.  ha

his number was definitely associated with what he claimed to be.  he has tenants and he also has a presence in seattle.  actually i think it was a seattle phone number.

in my case, since it was a CL sale, i had the opportunity for a cash transaction in person.  so yeah...not too much scamming possible.   even if the thing was broken, at the price he offered it, it would have been worth it.

Posted May 18, 2012 link

Interesting.  I guess you did your homework, I won't argue with you there.  I wonder why Paypal was not an option?  Most of the time the buyer just pays the 3% and that solves the problem.
Shrimpman

Posted Mon May 21, 2012, 12:14pm

Wow, more attention then I get at home. The deal was exactly as laid out. I was quite transparent about how I got the machines and the build date. All sold, none with pay pal, mostly pick up with cash at my business office or prepaid with cashiers check. The no Pay Pal thing was due to the fact that this was a one time thing and I lack any sophistication regarding such things. In fact I didn't list on eBay due to not wanting to affect the seller there and spoke with him regrading this. In fact I bought a large chaff collector for mine from him. Several were sold to roasters, one being Melody Coffee in northern CA. He can confirm. He was kind enought to send me some wonderful coffee after. Good stuff, far better than my burnt and under roasted experiments! I own many buildings, one in which I also have my offices. The tenant was conitnually late, so in lieu of last months rent he just gave me the machines he'd had for 5 years on a rack. I sold for the exact money owed and didn't look to profit from the deal, thus offering a great deal for those here whom I have gotten toms of info from over the years. Mods were patient and I appreciate that, So sales came form this forum. I am in Los Angeles and did also put in CL Seattle due to the obvious reasons...someone was going to buy Facebook at the IPO and would need the discount! Anyway hope this clears up the mystery and preserves my cred for anything going forward. Just be thankful I wasn't selling roasted coffe, then you would really be unhappy!
Dooglas
Dooglas

Espresso: Vibiemme Junior
Grinder: Ascaso, Baratza
Drip: Bonavita, Bodum press
Roaster: GeneCafe, Behmor
Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 10:34am

I deal through CraigsList and eBay quite a bit - buyer and seller. After being burned a few times early on - I have a couple inflexible rules. Over the internet, I deal only through PayPal primarily because of the buyers guarantee and instant payment features. I like eBay because the seller rating system tends to keep people honest (I realize some can try to tilt those ratings but they are generally quite useful). My one exception is CraigsList purchases or sales where buyer and seller meet, examine the item, and pay cash. This has worked well for me and those who don't wish to work this way, don't deal with me. We each make our own choices, and these serve me well. In this instance (no reflection on Shrimpman - actually a comment on CG), I am puzzled by why the buy/sell rules here were not followed.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Gene Cafe...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.283418893814)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+