Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
New to Home Roasting--A newbie Question--
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > New to Home...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
ocarolina
ocarolina
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio silvia 3
Grinder: baratza preciso
Drip: french press - no drip
Roaster: behmor / iroast2
Posted Sun Apr 1, 2012, 7:41am
Subject: Re: New to Home Roasting--A newbie Question--

Unless you consume large amounts of beans, it is better to roast less beans more frequently.  I started with the Iroast2 (dont recommend it, and probably cant get it anyway) and it roasted about 1 1/2 to 2 cups at a time.  I am glad you are getting good use out of the popper - it provides agitation and heats the bean all around.  If it works, more power to you.  I dont think you have to spend $1000 on a roaster, and I am getting great roasts out of my Behmor.  Believe me, it killed me to upgrade my roaster, espresso maker, and grinder - but I can now drink espresso con panna - my new favorite - at home.  I could not do that before with my old grinder, saeco and iroast2.  The more you get into enjoying coffee, the more it becomes a hobby (or addiction) to perfect what you drink. :)
 View Profile Link to this post
Madurodave

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: Mr Coffee, perculator
Roaster: HotTop B, West Bend Air...
Posted Sun Apr 1, 2012, 1:56pm

ocarolina Said:

Unless you consume large amounts of beans, it is better to roast less beans more frequently.  I started with the Iroast2 (dont recommend it, and probably cant get it anyway) and it roasted about 1 1/2 to 2 cups at a time.  I am glad you are getting good use out of the popper - it provides agitation and heats the bean all around.  If it works, more power to you.  I dont think you have to spend $1000 on a roaster, and I am getting great roasts out of my Behmor.  Believe me, it killed me to upgrade my roaster, espresso maker, and grinder - but I can now drink espresso con panna - my new favorite - at home.  I could not do that before with my old grinder, saeco and iroast2.  The more you get into enjoying coffee, the more it becomes a hobby (or addiction) to perfect what you drink. :)

Posted April 1, 2012 link

So true! I just got a Hottop B and did my first 2 half pound roasts today! Wow - they smell great!

Dave
Harley rider, Espresso drinker, Primo XL grill
ocarolina
ocarolina

Posted Mon Apr 2, 2012, 1:24pm

Let us know how they taste.  I wanted a hottop, but it was out of my price range, having bought the Silvia and Preciso. It will be my next upgrade when I am done with the Behmor.  Let me know how it tastes.
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Mon Apr 2, 2012, 3:16pm

To the OP, congrats on the new hobby! Roasting is a lot of fun!

ocarolina Said:

Let us know how they taste.  I wanted a hottop, but it was out of my price range, having bought the Silvia and Preciso. It will be my next upgrade when I am done with the Behmor.  Let me know how it tastes.

Posted April 2, 2012 link

The Hottop does a fantastic job and really immerses the user in control. Its definitely a different experience than the Behmor, as you are in control of the variables that go into the roast. I use my Hottop once every 4-5 days doing half pound roasts and have had nothing but great coffee since my first couple roasts which were still enjoyable.
ocarolina
ocarolina

Posted Thu Apr 5, 2012, 7:52am

Good to know.  I had more control when I had a functioning Iroast2, but it did not have a large capacity, and the roast chamber cracked 3 times.  I like the Behmor, and have been getting great roasts (I am fairly consistent with the beans I roast), but once I graduate and get a job, I will have more money to spend on roasting equipment.  I could not justify spending $1000 or so on a roaster when I don't have a job (hubby has to pay for all my stuff LOL).  

I will keep that in mind when I get more cash. Thanks.
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Thu Apr 5, 2012, 7:58am

ocarolina Said:

Good to know.  I had more control when I had a functioning Iroast2, but it did not have a large capacity, and the roast chamber cracked 3 times.  I like the Behmor, and have been getting great roasts (I am fairly consistent with the beans I roast), but once I graduate and get a job, I will have more money to spend on roasting equipment.  I could not justify spending $1000 or so on a roaster when I don't have a job (hubby has to pay for all my stuff LOL).  

I will keep that in mind when I get more cash. Thanks.

Posted April 5, 2012 link

From what I hear, the Behmor is a fantastic roaster. If you are getting great roasts on the Behmor and don't mind the more hands off approach with the Behmor (compared to the HotTop), you should just stick with it! No point in spending the extra money if what you use does the trick.
OGmahatha

Posted Thu Apr 12, 2012, 11:19am

Home roasting is Awesome!! Drip Drip Drip!!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
beerANDmathematics
beerANDmathematics

Espresso: Sama Export, La Peppina,...
Grinder: OE Pharos+VDD, Lido2,...
Vac Pot: Cona B + CoffeeBoS Brew...
Drip: hario woodneck, kalita wave...
Roaster: popcorn popper but rather...
Posted Thu Apr 12, 2012, 11:55am

Still roasting on my stovetop, without a cover, and some batches are better than others....
While the coffee tastes OK to OK+ (lol), depending on the beans...
I think I will invest in a popcorn popper....

But still, I love how easy it is to get started! Just buy some green beans and gooooo! =)

I'll report back after my first air popper batch in a few weeks.

Cheers
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Apr 12, 2012, 12:14pm
Subject: .

beerANDmathematics
beerANDmathematics

Espresso: Sama Export, La Peppina,...
Grinder: OE Pharos+VDD, Lido2,...
Vac Pot: Cona B + CoffeeBoS Brew...
Drip: hario woodneck, kalita wave...
Roaster: popcorn popper but rather...
Posted Thu Apr 12, 2012, 12:26pm

oooOoOoOoOo whats that?

a quick google search yielded zilch..
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > New to Home...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.320661067963)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+