Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Home Coffee Roasting Safety
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Home Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Mar 29, 2012, 3:40am
Subject: Home Coffee Roasting Safety

Public service announcement worth repeating:

1) Get a fire extinguisher. Even if you never roasted coffee, a fire extinguisher is the best insurance you can buy for less than 20 bucks. If youíre a coffee roaster, it may just be your best friend. Choose a fire extinguisher intended for kitchen or garage useÖ more specifically, a dry chemical model thatís rated for oil, electrical and wood fires.

2) Mount that extinguisher near your roaster. Note that I donít say *above* your roaster, but *near* it. Youíll want to be able to grab that extinguisher without having to reach over a burning roaster. Better still, get two, and place one near, and one on the other side of the room. (While Iím not exactly paranoid, I have three extinguishers strategically located in my garage where I do most of my roasting.)

3) Never leave your coffee roasting unattended. Never ó ever! ó walk away with a roast in progress. Iíll admit itÖ I used to have a laissez faire attitude toward roasting. Iíd start a roast and wander off to do other things for 10 or 15 minutes while the roast progressed. I got an attitude adjustment one day when roasting a batch of Yemen coffee ó a batch that had some odd-sized and curiously-shaped beans ó some of which wedged between the seams and completely jammed up the drum in my roaster. I was lucky. I was just the other side of the garage when I heard the jam occur. If I hadnít been on the scene it may have been only a matter of moments before those beans ó no longer happily tumbling ó burst into flame.

4) A clean roaster is a happy roaster. Not only does a clean coffee roaster do itís job more efficiently, itís also far, far safer. No matter what kind of roaster you have, regularly clean-up the chaff ó the papery skin thatís released by roasting coffee beans. I clean chaff from my roaster between each and every roast. Bonus tip: Donít vacuum chaff out of a hot roaster! Smoldering bits of chaff that would probably be of no consequence at all left in your roaster until it cools could ignite in dramatic fashion should you fuel them with a lot of wind. While your roaster can probably take the heat, chances are your shop-vac wonít.

5) Donít disable your home smoke-alarm just because your coffee roasting sets it off. Get better ventilation, roast outdoors, or just learn to enjoy the occasional test of your smoke alarm. That way you can rest assured itíll be there if you need it.

Reposted from the following site:
Click Here (www.bloggle.com)

You can do what you like, but the near-inevitability of combustion is why I roast outside - it's not a "right" answer, it's just my personal choice.
 View Profile Link to this post
jmrmotorhead

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Delognhi ec310
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Roaster: Popery 2
Posted Thu Mar 29, 2012, 8:40am
Subject: Re: Home Coffee Roasting Safety

Good post. Being a firefighter AND a home coffee roaster has led me to take a cautious approach. These tips are essential, and you will thank Net if you ever have a roast burst into flames. Especially those (including me) who use a popper should pay close attention to these tips. A modified popcorn popper reaches coffee roasting temps quickly, and can over heat and cause a fire very easily. Do yourself and your family a favor, roast outdoors!

Matt
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Mar 29, 2012, 9:08am

Tip #2: It should be added that the fire extinguisher should be located near the exit (of the room or of the structure). You always want to be fighting a fire with yourself located between the fire and the exit so that an escape route is readily available.

FIRE -----------------  YOU ----------------------- Fire extinguisher -- EXIT

Many local fire departments have classes or are glad to give instruction on proper use of a fire extinguisher.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Mar 29, 2012, 9:35am

Great topic, and tyhanks for posting this.  
In additoin to being a career engineer, I'm also an industrial safety trainer.  Safety is very important to me.  

So, I roast at the front of the garage, just inside the door line, with the door open.
There is a huge exit path all around me and a fire extinguisher very close at hand if required.  
The fire extinguisher gets checked regularly, and I look at the tag every weekend to make double dog sure.  

In addition to the fire safty, one should be aware of hazards for your eyes (flying chaff, sometimes hot).  I usually wear glasses for dumping and cooling the roast.  And of course please always remember that roasters have HOT surfaces that will burn you if you touch them.

Again - thanks for the safety note.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
rarebear
rarebear

Espresso: Fiorenzata Bricoletta
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Vac Pot: Yama 8C
Roaster: Hot Top B2
Posted Thu Mar 29, 2012, 7:03pm

Big Box Of Baking Soda is also a  fire extinguisher..

If your Indoor Roaster catches fire DON'T PICK IT UP!!!

Get some Baking Soda and or Wet Bath Towels and Smoother it

Then Take it outside..
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Mar 29, 2012, 8:14pm

rarebear Said:

Big Box Of Baking Soda is also a  fire extinguisher....

Posted March 29, 2012 link

Box of baking soda works ell from about two or three feet. A fire extinguisher works from ten or fifteen feet. You choose.

The wet towel can work, but you have a burning electrical appliance and you have a wet towel in your hands... Hmmm...

If a person hasn't been trained and isn't experienced in fighting fires, it is quite astounding how panic takes over and bad decisions are made. Even firefighters make bad decisions, but when on scene they are properly protected by gear designed for such eventualities.

The stories I could tell about people doing stupid things with gasoline.. including one trained firefighter!  (No, it wasn't me).  ;-)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
Snaxx

Grinder: Capresso Infinity burr
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster
Roaster: I Roast2
Posted Thu Mar 29, 2012, 8:54pm

Get some Baking Soda and or Wet Bath Towels and Smoother it

Beware of wet towels, water sprayers, wet hands, any form of water molecules contacting hot glass as the thermal shock will do a number on it.  

Also, beware of opening the door of a roaster such as the Bemor, to dump baking soda in it, as a large amount of air entering the roaster could cause a flash fire in the roaster and the heat and flames could exit the roaster and engulf your hand, singing your hairs off your hand and stink up your house with a hair fire.  

I use a woodstove with glass doors that loads from the top.  If I've just recently added wood and it is just smoldering, and I open it up to add more wood, I'll sometimes get an immediate ignition of the gases built up in there which exits the stove quite violently.  If I don't have a glove on for hand protection, I'll have one of those hand hair fires.  Luckily, gravity shuts that door right away, so it doesn't continue outside the woodstove.

Of course to put out a roaster fire you need to remember to eliminate either heat, fuel or oxygen.  Even if you turn off the roaster to stop that heat, there will be heat produced by the burning chaff or beans, and that will become your fuel source for heat.  So then you'll need to either quickly get the beans out so your fuel is removed, or cover the roaster with a dry fireproof welding blanket or other suitable cover to starve the fire of oxygen.  Perhaps a square galvanized washtub would be a good size and could serve to cover the roaster and eliminate the oxygen leg of the fire triangle.    

Ken
rarebear
rarebear

Espresso: Fiorenzata Bricoletta
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Vac Pot: Yama 8C
Roaster: Hot Top B2
Posted Fri Mar 30, 2012, 1:10am

I was just trying to give folks other suggestion that still has not bought one..
I know ever house hold has Bath Towels do you have any other alternate  suggestions?
Joel_B
Joel_B

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Fri Mar 30, 2012, 3:50am

rarebear Said:

do you have any other alternate  suggestions?

Posted March 30, 2012 link

Another suggestion is to discontinue roasting until you've purchased a fire extinguisher.  Even if you don't roast, every home ought to have a fire extinguisher!
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Mar 30, 2012, 4:10am
Subject: .

showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Home Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.309799909592)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+