Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Question(s) on Toper Cafemino 1KG Roaster & Diedrich IR-1
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Question(s) on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 17 of 21 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
FrankieD

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Nov 16, 2011, 8:30am
Subject: Re: Question(s) on Toper Cafemino 1KG Roaster & Diedrich IR-1

Thanks for the feedback. I have solved my problem though. I am assuming that dirty gas may have been the problem and that a piece of debris got stuck somewhere in the system playing havoc with the gasflow. I cranked up the gasflow from 30mBar to 40mbar and the problem suddenly disappeared. I subsequently adjusted the pressure down again and the everything is still working fine.
 View Profile Link to this post
chiheng
chiheng
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: LM GB5 MP 2
Grinder: Anfim Super Caimano
Vac Pot: hario TAC 3
Drip: Hario V60
Roaster: Toper Cafemino E 1kg
Posted Thu Dec 22, 2011, 8:34pm

Whale Said:

I have installed potentiometer controled SSR's to control the heat input and also installed external heating. There was no means to control the heat input with the basic electric Cafemino. I am surprised to read that the gas Cafemino has not heat control either. It should not be too difficult to modify it by adding a needle valve and either a flow meter  or pressure meter. It is not much more complicated that a barbecue... I think that the Diedrich IR-1 uses a needle valve and pressure gauge. Rob could confirm.

And like Rob, On the first roast, I pre-heat the drum, to 250C and then adjust the charge temperature.

Posted May 11, 2011 link

Hi Whale

Just found your post on Google. Great to find there are people using Toper Cafemino E and got Mod. I am new to roasting and using the same Cafemino E 1 kg. I bought the Cafemino early this year and so far are quite satisfy with it except the heat control.

I find it difficult to control the heat input expect simply switch on and off the burner after 1s crack to prolong the roasting time. However, it require a lot of anticipation and not always reproducible

I read you have mod with a SSR, is there any posts about how to do the modification ?
Million Thanks.
Smokey_Joe_from_UK

Expertise: Professional

Posted Sun Jan 1, 2012, 5:47pm

Hi all,

I have a Toper 3Kg and I also didnt realise there was no flame control :(

Has anyone else made the modification yet?

I have a 'gas control valve' (see pic) but I assume its a safety cut off valve rather than a flame control?

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/5215/toper2.jpg

And if you want a long read about all the crap I went though to get the thing powered up, have a read here Click Here (www.pistonheads.com)

Best wishes

Chris

http://www.smokeybarn.co.uk//products/coffee
http://www.smokeybarn.co.uk/content/wholesale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9-m3hDPXXw
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Whale
Whale
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vivaldi II, MCal, EP, Fiore...
Grinder: MXKR, K10 Fresh,Major,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex
Drip: Press only, I don't do drip!...
Roaster: Cafemino E and Poppery 1
Posted Wed Jan 4, 2012, 10:52am

chiheng Said:

Hi Whale

Just found your post on Google. Great to find there are people using Toper Cafemino E and got Mod. I am new to roasting and using the same Cafemino E 1 kg. I bought the Cafemino early this year and so far are quite satisfy with it except the heat control.

I find it difficult to control the heat input expect simply switch on and off the burner after 1s crack to prolong the roasting time. However, it require a lot of anticipation and not always reproducible

I read you have mod with a SSR, is there any posts about how to do the modification ?
Million Thanks.

Posted December 22, 2011 link

Sorry for the very late reply. I have had issues with login on Coffegeek lately not sure what was happening...

Anyway, No there is nothing posted on this. Just being lazy. I will post something soon on my whole roasting setup.  

Here is the device I use.
Click Here (cgi.ebay.ca)
They are really easy to use, simple plug and play really. Just install the Load terminal on one of the line to the heat elements which are connected in parallel. I have had this PWM installed and used for well over 150 roasts with no problem.  

The old Toper Cafemino (mine) came with 2 resistive elements mounted inside the drum and connected in parallel giving out about 1500 watts. The new Cafemino now has the elements outside the drum and I believe a whopping 4500 watts.
If you have the newer unit you will have to pay attention to the current rating of the devices that you use.
FrankieD

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jan 5, 2012, 11:15am

Unfortunately the problem I had reappeared a few days later an since I have not been able to get it to work again. The entire vave control system has been replaced by Toper but the problem persists. Any suggestions would be welcome
chiheng
chiheng

Posted Sun Jan 8, 2012, 6:36pm

Whale,

Great to hear from you!! Many thanks for your information.

I am using the new toper cafemino which is 4500W

I ordered the PWM and will try to install it to my toper 1kg after it arrive.

Please keep it touch and let share each other's roasting experiencere of Toper Cafemino

Cheers,
Keith
skastdk

Espresso: GS/3
Grinder: Mazzer
Roaster: Cafemino Electric 2008
Posted Sat Jan 14, 2012, 1:33pm

Hi , guys I have been folowing this thread for little time now, thank you for all the info that has already been posted.  We are at least two owners of an electric cafemino i Denmark

I just got mine in December (Second hand) and it was very dirty, never been cleaned at all. Im just now getting finished with the cleanup and its looking very good, everything works.

Hoping to find a lot of usefull tips/information in here about the roasting,
skastdk

Espresso: GS/3
Grinder: Mazzer
Roaster: Cafemino Electric 2008
Posted Sat Jan 14, 2012, 1:57pm

dirty Cafemino, removing everything for a throughout cleaning

skastdk: img0872ms.jpg
(Click for larger image)
chiheng
chiheng

Posted Thu Jan 26, 2012, 8:15pm

Hi guys,

With the help and advise from Whale, I've  just finished the installation of PWM to my 1kg Cafemino  (2011 version)

In the 2011 version, there are four heating elements with about 1200W each and connected parallel from the contactor.

since the max flow of my PWM is 18A, I split up the heating group into two, one with 3 elements and another with one only. So

With the PWM control, I could have more control on the heating power to the drum from 25% to 100%, rather than just switching on or off the heating elements.

chiheng: IMAG1487.jpg
(Click for larger image)
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013, 11:31am

Ok Rob I have been kicking around the idea of getting back into roasting. Initially it will be for my own consumption but I retirement is starting to come into sight at least from a planning perspective.  I have no desire to make a second carrier from roasting coffee but I might become a shop keeper that has a small coffee bar as an after thought to the main business. If roasting became another part of the puzzle that would be cool to. Pretty much a place I want to hang out in, drink coffee, read and write if the place pays its own way or even gets anywhere close to paying I to own way that would just be a bonus.

With that in mind and knowing what you know now what progression would you recommend on gear? Hottop B, IR-1 if warranted/desired? Or would you go straight from a hotdop into the IR-2.5 or similar? If there are any other steps or models you think I should consider that would be great to know.  We go threw about a pound a pound a week so I would want something to start with that can handle that need with ease.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
showing page 17 of 21 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Question(s) on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.322285890579)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+