Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Data Logging
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Data Logging  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Chris_S

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: rancilio silvia, moka,...
Grinder: rocky
Vac Pot: no
Drip: aeropress and press pot
Roaster: hottop & poppery II
Posted Wed Jan 18, 2012, 8:13pm
Subject: Re: Data Logging

I'm having some trouble getting the code to verify. I've tried reading through the step by step instructions and also the notepad instructions for the bourbon software. I tried several times to make sure I had the right folders are in the appropriate places. I am using the arduino 1.0 (also tried 0023) to try and verify sketches, but both seem to have problems with the LCD. I guess I don't have an LCD hooked up at this time and don't know what I should do next.

I ran pBourban through processing and it seemed to start fine but I couldn't do anything with it. I pressed a key on the keyboard and nothing started.

I then decided to try Artisan and when I tried to verify the sketch it had a problem with the "extern boolean Cscale;"

I've tried fiddling with this the last couple days just trying to understand things and kind of ran into a wall. Any thoughts?
 View Profile Link to this post
JGG
JGG
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Wed Jan 18, 2012, 8:43pm

Arduino 1.0 is not compatible with the TC4 libraries.  Version 0023 should work...but 0022 will work for sure.

Jim

EDIT:  The TC4 libraries were updated to be compatible with Arduino 1.0 (and older versions) as of January 26, 2012
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Chris_S

Posted Wed Jan 18, 2012, 10:04pm

0022 worked for both Bourbon and Artisan. One thing to note is that I'm using the Arduino Uno R3. Not sure if the rev 3 would have something to do with 0023 not working.

Next step is learning how the software works. I get my thermocouplers within the next few business days.
JGG
JGG

Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012, 7:08am

Chris_S Said:

0022 worked for both Bourbon and Artisan. One thing to note is that I'm using the Arduino Uno R3. Not sure if the rev 3 would have something to do with 0023 not working.

Posted January 18, 2012 link

If the problem is occurring while verifying the code, then it must be something else.  But as long as 0022 is working OK, I probably won't bother trying to troubleshoot 0023.

Arduino 1.0 broke all kinds of applications because they made fundamental changes in a few core libraries.  I'm going to wait until the dust settles before releasing revised TC4 libraries.

Jim
Chris_S

Posted Tue Jan 24, 2012, 9:53am

How in the world did you get a 24 gage thermocoulpler wire with the insulation to fit into the 1/8" tube. I think its possible but the glass insulation frays so easy and the pressure pushes the insulation back. I'm just wondering if you had a trick to doing it?

I was wondering if you ruin the insulation on the end, is there a way to cut it back and refuse the wires together. I was trying to see if there was any solder that would withstand the heat of the roaster and if that would be an option?
JGG
JGG

Posted Tue Jan 24, 2012, 10:10am

It's not a pretty process.

I fuse the tips together and then trim the fiberglass as well as I can.  A pair of small sharp wire cutters (dikes) works as well as anything else I have tried.  

I leave around 1/2" (plus or minus) of the bare wires extending past the end of the insulation.  Then push the wire through the tube, past the other end by an inch or more.  Smear epoxy (I use JB Weld) all along the insulated wires that are extending past the end of the tube.  Try and fold the frayed fiberglass back in place and let the epoxy help hold it down.

Then draw the gooped-up wire back into the tube.  A lot of the epoxy will be pulled back into the tube with the wire, but some will form a bulb at the end of the tube. Dip your fingertips into soapy water so the epoxy doesn't stick.  Manually form the epoxy blob into a cone at the end of the tube.  Just kinda revert to your kindergarten skills and do what looks right ;-]

When you are done, you'd like to have somewhere between 1/4" and 1" of *bare wires extending from the end of the tube, with at least 1/8" of insulation/epoxy sticking out past the end of the tube to insulate the wires from the tube.

Jim

• length depends on whether you are making a BT sensor or an ET sensor
Chris_S

Posted Tue Jan 24, 2012, 1:23pm

When you say you are fusing the tips together do you mean melting them together or using more of a conductive adhesive like solder? I would think fusing (reaching melting point) would require high temperature. I have access to an Oxy/Acetylene torch if needed, hopefully with a small enough tip.

As you know the thermocouplers come fused. I completely messed one of the insulation ends up so I was snipping it down just to test what the best way would be to thread it through the tube. If I have to snip another wire down can I somehow fuse the ends back together without ruining the wire's sensitivity?

I noticed that the wires have 2 insulating sheaths around them. 1 on the individual wire and then the outer one wrapping both the wires together. When I was testing I cut the outer insulation off. This allowed me to run the wire through the tube easier and still kept the insulation around each wire. Would this be sufficient?
tonyanj

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Posted Fri Mar 2, 2012, 10:59am

We were looking for a roast logger for our Ambex YM10 and found this NI USB-TC01 Thermocouple Measurement Device from National Instruments for $100 (without a probe).

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/208177

It's an instant plug and play unit for any computer with Windows. Researched it, just ordered it, haven't tried it yet.
They have a more expensive untit for $500+ which handles 4 different probes.

You can get a more extensive program and hookup instructions from:
How to Connect a Coffee Roaster to a Computer - YouTube

John
farmroast
farmroast
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Strega,Cremina, MCAL...
Grinder: Majors, Dienes
Vac Pot: Hellem10
Drip: CCD, and more
Roaster: 1kg. DreamRoast
Posted Fri Mar 2, 2012, 3:08pm

tonyanj Said:

We were looking for a roast logger for our Ambex YM10 and found this NI USB-TC01 Thermocouple Measurement Device from National Instruments for $100 (without a probe).

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/208177

It's an instant plug and play unit for any computer with Windows. Researched it, just ordered it, haven't tried it yet.
They have a more expensive untit for $500+ which handles 4 different probes.

You can get a more extensive program and hookup instructions from:
How to Connect a Coffee Roaster to a Computer - YouTube

John

Posted March 2, 2012 link

Did you check out the tc4 mentioned earlier in this thread. It's ability to monitor and graph bean temp rate of rise is a huge help. Has 4 inputs too.

Ed Bourgeois... LMWDP #167
please visit my blog
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
Chris_S

Posted Tue Mar 13, 2012, 5:45pm

I have roasted I think 6 batches of beans now with the TC4. The setup has worked really nice. I've had some really good coffee turning out with the roaster setup. I have been using the Artisan software and really like it.

This morning I had some left over Sumatra that wasn't enough for a cup of coffee so I mixed the other half with some Brazil that I'm trying to finish up, and the blend actually turned out to be one of the best tasting cups. I've been roasting 1 or 2 batches of 225 grams each weekend and then testing them throughout the week with the french press and espresso machine. My goal is to come up with my own espresso blend. Its really nice to have the profiles saved where you can open them and add notes for each roast. The one thing I thought was really cool with the software was the export to an html page that shows your roast graph, notes, cupping and many other things. I'm not sure what I would really do with it at this point but I still think its really awesome.

I really appreciate the work that the group of guys put into this setup. I couldn't of asked for anything better. Especially for the price. They made it very functional and affordable.

Recently I've been wondering if there is a way to set it up on my espresso machine to record data.
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Data Logging  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.294694900513)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+