Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Question(s) on Toper Cafemino 1KG Roaster & Diedrich IR-1
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Question(s) on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 16 of 19 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Breeze
Breeze
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Pasquini Livia S
Grinder: Mazzer Mini/Rocky
Drip: TechniVorm/Krups MB
Roaster: Toper 1 kilo
Posted Sat Jun 18, 2011, 12:02pm
Subject: Re: Question(s) on Toper Cafemino 1KG Roaster & Diedrich IR-1

germantownrob Said:

I am in heaven now.

Posted June 13, 2011 link

Ahhh....coffee heaven.  That's a good report.  No doubt the Diedrich provides an express lane to that destination.   My Toper is plows a furrow to the same place but I'm extremely happy as well, now with needle valves on the mind.  

The greatest advance in my silly little business was cost driven.  I went from too many varieties to a big three in 60# lots to save some green on my greens.  My current inventory consists of an Ethiopian, an El Salvador and a Java, from Shrub.  My heaven is having a quantity of sameness to get my profiles refined.  Life is easier and coffee better this way.  180 lbs lasts me around three months and I'm in cruise control.  

I'm still, as far as I know, the only local roaster in the Virgin Islands.  The sketchy claims by various coffee shops here regarding "world class coffee" do not prove out, in the cup.  I do no retail, still my hand to yours on request but I did have a talk with one coffee shop about offering DonTomas.  I'm at $15 a lb. in singles and was willing to discount for five/ten lb. deliveries in bulk packaging.  My cost vs. his reality for bulk stale roasted product from "somewhere" was just too great a void to bridge.  Doan matta to me.  I know my market and will happily stick with it.  

The biggest news in my customer base consists of two espresso customers who rate the Java Sunda Garut as tops.  Blue Bottle I ain't but a happy customer is a happy customer.

DonTomas "aka" breeze
 View Profile Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Thu Sep 22, 2011, 8:12am

I missed your post Breeze, man I am still jealous. My wife is very pretty and my kids are hilarious if you would like to trade places for six months I would do it in a heartbeat, LOL.

I have not tried yet but Ken Fox emailed me he is able to do 225g sample batches with his IR-1 with good results. I do believe Diedrich had specs for the IR1 for 225g but it has changed to 300g presently. My guess is that the trier is not able to get a sample at less then 300g. I will test this out this week since I have some very expensive beans coming that I would like to do in 225g batches.
Breeze
Breeze

Posted Thu Sep 22, 2011, 1:21pm

germantownrob Said:

My wife is very pretty and my kids are hilarious if you would like to trade places for six months I would do it in a heartbeat, LOL

Posted September 22, 2011 link

My view is world class, my dog bites, my power is out three times a week and my wind blows between 0 and 150kts., this time of year.  Don't tempt me!

I'm roasting as I write and the Toper marches on.  El Salvador in the drum and true to form, with smallish bean and lotta chaff, I get a ten/twelve bean stuck against the sight glass and have to fish them out of the cooler with a spoon, post roast.  

My little business is good but all it takes is a handfull of new regular customers to lift my boat.  

Best Wishes!
Dave7779
Dave7779
Expertise: Just starting

Roaster: Diedrich IR-2.5
Posted Wed Oct 5, 2011, 3:07pm

So after reading this post and chatting to Rob on other threads I finally took the plunge and decided to order the Diedrich. They where extremely helpful and after they sent me the new price list I was a little shocked to see that the IR-1 was now nearly the same price as the IR-2.5, have you ever seen a grown man cry? well if you had been in my house that day you would have done.

So after a huge amount of fast talking to the wife I managed to talk her into allowing me to spend the cash and get the IR 2.5. The machine has arrived this week and I am well impressed, I've have completed my first few roasts mainly a Brazilian Capim Branco, Sumatra Aceh Tengah and a mountain water Sumatra decaf for the wife who is very pregnant and missing her coffee. All the roasts have turned out fairly well and I really cant wait to get in there and do some serious roasting. Part of the deal to me being allowed to spend the cash was to actually take the plunge and start selling.......... wish me luck folks lol ><
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Wed Oct 5, 2011, 4:44pm

Congratulations Dave! The 2.5 is really the way to go if you are selling beans. If I can be of any help to you send me an email.

Best of luck,

Rob
Dave7779
Dave7779

Roaster: Diedrich IR-2.5
Posted Thu Oct 6, 2011, 4:44pm

Thanks Rob, I'm still at the playing around stage but I'm sure ill be picking your brains shortly. I do have to admit the thread on the Home Barister forums by Ken fox has given me a few ideas to play around with. I was trying to follow the Diedrich method of roasting and although it wasn't turning out to bad, I think the way Ken and yourself mentioned might be the better tact.

This is the link in case anyone was interested Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Fri Oct 7, 2011, 8:55am

Dave, something you may find useful with the variety of weights you can roast. I started adjusting my drop in temps (after a pre heat to 415f) to give me similar drop in temps. So for 2lbs I drop in at 390f +/- to get a turning point of 175f,  1lbs at 360f for TP of 175f, and 340f for TP of 175f, this allows me to progress with similar profiles by using less gas pressure for the smaller size batches. However I suggest sticking to one batch size that works best for you until you get familiar with the machine.

I have not had great success with Diedrich's profile nor has Ken and not from lack of trying.
FrankieD

Posted Sat Oct 29, 2011, 5:22am

Hi Guys

I have a Toper 1kg, Brand new- done about 40 batches. Now suddenly the bloody thing started playing tricks on me. The gas supply continoulsy shuts down. It first started in the middle of a roast. It shuts down the main flame as well as the pilot then reignites. Initially at fairly long intervals then got shorter and now starts immediately when I fire up the roaster. It now shuts down & refires every 5-10 seconds and the after about the third refire does not start again. I suspect the Honeywell gas controller. Has anyone experienced this problem?
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Tue Nov 1, 2011, 5:16pm

FrankieD Said:

Hi Guys

I have a Toper 1kg, Brand new- done about 40 batches. Now suddenly the bloody thing started playing tricks on me. The gas supply continoulsy shuts down. It first started in the middle of a roast. It shuts down the main flame as well as the pilot then reignites. Initially at fairly long intervals then got shorter and now starts immediately when I fire up the roaster. It now shuts down & refires every 5-10 seconds and the after about the third refire does not start again. I suspect the Honeywell gas controller. Has anyone experienced this problem?

Posted October 29, 2011 link

You may want to start a new Topic to ask this question, I am sure there are many here that know a lot about gas that are not looking in this topic.

Does the Toper have any safety sensors that shut the gas off? My Diedrich will shut the gas off if the airflow becomes restricted through the cyclone and a high temperature limit that shuts off the gas.
Breeze
Breeze

Posted Tue Nov 15, 2011, 2:39am

FrankieD Said:

Hi Guys

I have a Toper 1kg, Brand new- done about 40 batches. Now suddenly the bloody thing started playing tricks on me.

Posted October 29, 2011 link

Yes, but after about 400 batches when the main burner failed to ignite, at all.  I pulled the chrome plate off the front of the burner housing and tweaked the prongs that are heated by the pilot to initiate burner flame and that solved the problem, for several months.  I then had ignition but repeated shutdowns.  I again pulled the plate and before I adjusted anything I fired the unit to observe the location of the prongs.  The main burner ignited and never shut down.

I've been operating without the plate for three months now and no more problems.  I don't have an explanation.
showing page 16 of 19 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Question(s) on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.346759080887)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+