Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
How to prevent voltage drop with Behmor without using a Variac
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > How to prevent...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
kboom1
kboom1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Sun Oct 16, 2011, 9:08am
Subject: How to prevent voltage drop with Behmor without using a Variac

Being new to home roasting and the Behmor, I am looking for a few recomendations on how to prevent voltage drop with out the use of a Variac. My house has a 200 amp service and although I'm not a electrition I am comfortable running a new dedicated line just for my  Behmor.The reason I chose the  Behmor is so I can roast a pound of coffee at a time but apon further research I have seen alot of post where peeps have to reduce their charge to get to 2c.
I see alot of peeps recomending a Variac, but if using a dedicated line would stop or reduce the voltage drop I would prefer to do this. My line run to my roasting station would be less than 10 ft. from my fuse box.I have 3 days untill my Behmor arrives so I am trying to get prepared for my new adventure.
 View Profile Link to this post
Jeff_Fla
Jeff_Fla
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Absolutely
Drip: Yes drip!
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sun Oct 16, 2011, 10:09am
Subject: Re: How to prevent voltage drop with Behmor without using a Variac

I have a Behmor with over 400 roast to date and I do not use a Variac or have a dedicated line to roast on. I do roast in the garage which is on a seperate breaker and I also have a 200 amp service. I have been able to maintain consistent roast by not running anything in the house that uses a 220 line to power it. AC, Dryer, Stove/Oven. As long as these are off for the 10-20 minutes the roasting is in process I do not not have any major power fluctuation problems. And the basic 110 lights and TV in the house do not effect my roast times. I roast by sound and smell so unless you are one that will be charting your roast on a computer program trying to achieve absolutely identical times. I don't feel a variac is needed. My roast times are usally within 10 seconds of each other which may vary due to the actual air temp of each roast as I use the open door method for 15 sec. to extend 1c times. Getting to 2C with 1 pound roast is no problem using P1.  My coffee roast levels are very consistent and the coffee always gets compliments from family and friends.  Good luck with your new Behmor.
kboom1
kboom1

Posted Sun Oct 16, 2011, 2:22pm

TY,Thanks for the help  I'll mainly be roasting for espresso blends or so's for espresso (northern Italian) a few secs in to 2c so I would like to experiment with p2 also until I get a system down. The main thing is being able to do 1pnd at a time, is this possible for you with the other profiles p2,p3 ect or is that why you prefer to use p1 and crack door to ajust profile. I have 20 pds of  various greens to practice with but would hate to bake or under roast any. Right now I go thru about 7 pnds in 2 weeks so I guess I'll have to sep up to the learning curve quick.
kboom1
kboom1

Posted Mon Oct 17, 2011, 7:32pm

ok I've decided to run a dedicated line but not sure on the breaker (I'm no electrition) should I use a 15a or a 20a breaker.I'd  like to have a 20a line to my roasting station for future use but not sure if the 15a behmor will be ok on it.
so far I bought a 15a and a 20a breaker? 25ft of 10/2 type NM-B romex cable (went with heavier cable to help with voltage drop) and a 20a spec grade duplex outlet,and a kill-a-watt ez ( not sure if any diff from reg kill-a-watt).
Hopefully I can get it all together by tomorrow.
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Tue Oct 18, 2011, 6:58am

Well, the Behmor 1600 is 1630 watts you must install a 20 or 25 amp breaker with the receptable and wire you purchased. If your Kill-A-Watt is 1875 VA it will probably handle it.
Pinch
Pinch

Espresso: Rocket evo cellini v2
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Drip: El Cheapo B&D
Posted Thu Oct 20, 2011, 3:52pm

Just to clear this up, 120V x 15A = 1800 Watts so 15 Amps is fine
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Oct 20, 2011, 4:26pm

Pinch Said:

Just to clear this up, 120V x 15A = 1800 Watts so 15 Amps is fine

Posted October 20, 2011 link

Hi Marc,

The two quartz tube/nichrome wire heaters are 525 watts each. The afterburner is 500 watts going by memory. The times that the afterburner is on also is 525+525+500 watts = 1,550 watts.

It depends on your supply line voltage, & in the summertime with all the draw down on the local power grid of neighbourhood A/C running (ours off when I measured) was 116 volts. Currently I have 118 volts.

I= P divided by E so 1st senario voltage, the max current would be 13.36 amps, 2nd voltage the max current would be 13.14 amperes. This/my house was built in 1956 & has standard 15 amp branch circuits & my Behmor works just fine. I haven't looked or measured the 2 WIRE ONLY cable wires but I'm sure it's only 14 gauge wire max & only 100 amp service.

I did do some measurements a few months ago with my DVM & there's a noticable voltage drop when the elements turn on, & also the afterburner. My Behmor is roasting fine within its design parameters & my standard roast is 12 oz/340 grams.

CraigA: ohmtable.gif
(Click for larger image)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Fri Oct 21, 2011, 6:18am

The OP asked for a 20 amp line, bought 10 ga wire, 20 amp receptable, and a 20 amp breaker.
So why choose anything but a 20 or 25?

oldgearhead: DSC_9153.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Pinch
Pinch

Espresso: Rocket evo cellini v2
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Drip: El Cheapo B&D
Posted Fri Oct 21, 2011, 9:56am

kboom1 Said:

... but not sure if the 15a behmor will be ok on it.

Posted October 17, 2011 link

I wasn't suggesting to use the 15A breaker, I just wanted to clarify this for him.  If you have 20 Amps available, the roaster will use only what it needs so yes it will work.
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri Oct 21, 2011, 10:04am

Pinch Said:

I wasn't suggesting to use the 15A breaker, I just wanted to clarify this for him.  If you have 20 Amps available, the roaster will use only what it needs so yes it will work.

Posted October 21, 2011 link

+1 , and with less of a voltage drop as in my house scenario when you're pretty much maxing out one of an old homes 14 gauge wire 15 amp branch circuit.

That 20A wiring nowadays would be what, 12 gauge wire minimum? Sorry, I don't have an electrical wiring code book handy at the moment lol.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > How to prevent...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.349919080734)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+