Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Finally taking the plunge from popper to Behmor...
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Finally taking...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Pinch
Pinch
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket evo cellini v2
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Drip: El Cheapo B&D
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Sep 5, 2011, 6:07am
Subject: Finally taking the plunge from popper to Behmor...

Well, after 9 months of using a popper to roast my coffee, the new baby should be here this week.  I was getting great results with the popper (I found out what really fresh coffee was) but the quantity wasn't there so, to me, the Behmor was the next logical step.

There aren't many retailers in Canada but I bought it from idrinkcoffee.com.  Didn't know they sold it until yesterday so I checked it out and the deal was good for me: $350 with free shipping.  I didn't choose greenbeanery even if they offered a $25 coffee credit because I think their coffee is too expensive, so not worth it for me.

Anyhow, I hope everything goes well with idrinkcoffee and the Behmor, I'll post my impressions when I get a feel for it.
Marc
 View Profile Link to this post
javanana

Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Roaster: I-Roast2, Behmor
Posted Mon Sep 5, 2011, 8:30pm
Subject: Re: Finally taking the plunge from popper to Behmor...

I think you'll love that baby! I too started with a popper, then moved to an I-Roast2. I've used the Behmor for more than 2 years. You'll notice a different flavor intensity with the Behmor since it's not an air roast. I'm not good with flavors, but to me it's mellow and richer.

There's lots of good info here on using the Behmor. I usually roast about 13 oz. on the 1# setting.

Good luck & have fun!
Pinch
Pinch

Posted Tue Sep 6, 2011, 5:27am

Hi Javanana,

Thanks for the reply and the tip. :)

Ah yes, the flavor...  I'll be able to compare the famous air roast vs drum roast.  Lot's of fun ahead!

Marc
BahLake

Posted Tue Sep 6, 2011, 2:12pm

I just switched from a popper to Behmor too, and I've noticed a huge difference. I'm not sure how much of that difference is due to the Behmor, though. I got it from the guys at OQ Coffee here in New Brunswick, and, at the same time, I switched to their beans. (I was buying from Sweat Marias.) Their coffee is fantastic, so I might just be tasting the quality of their product. I should pull out the popper and see what I get from OQ's beans with it.

One thing, though. I have trouble hitting the first crack as fast as I would like to. Any advice from Behmor using on getting there quicker?
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Tue Sep 6, 2011, 6:55pm

BahLake Said:

I just switched from a popper to Behmor too, and I've noticed a huge difference. I'm not sure how much of that difference is due to the Behmor, though. I got it from the guys at OQ Coffee here in New Brunswick, and, at the same time, I switched to their beans. (I was buying from Sweat Marias.) Their coffee is fantastic, so I might just be tasting the quality of their product. I should pull out the popper and see what I get from OQ's beans with it.

One thing, though. I have trouble hitting the first crack as fast as I would like to. Any advice from Behmor using on getting there quicker?

Posted September 6, 2011 link

Patience, grasshopper!  

Seriously, you need to adjust the amount of beans you start with to get the timing you want.  Also consider the KillaWatt which will show you what your power grid is doing.  I used it to find the best outlet for roasting in this old fusebox ridden house!

Have fun with the Behmor!

LMWDP # 010
robertl
robertl

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Baratza Preciso, Hario slim...
Vac Pot: Yama stovetop
Drip: CCD, Aeropress, Hario V60,...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Tue Sep 6, 2011, 7:10pm

BahLake Said:

Posted September 6, 2011 link

IMO the Behmor performs best with 1/2 pound batches. I try to keep my roast between 10-12 minutes and 1/2 batches will get me there.
Pinch
Pinch

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2011, 12:10pm

The Behmor is in da house!  Super fast shipping from idrinkcoffee. Got it at lunch time,  I'll hopefully have time to try it out tonight.

:o)

Marc
Pinch
Pinch

Posted Thu Sep 8, 2011, 5:36am

So after un-boxing and completing the "burn-in" step, the cylindrical fan in the back of the unit started to make a whirring noise.  I opened the plastic cover and pushed the "cool" button.  The fan seemed to spin unevenly at first.. start, stop, start, stop until it finally picked up speed but still whirring.  I stopped using it for 30 minutes and when I came back to it and tried the cooling process again, the noise was gone and the fan seemed to spin normally...  Has anyone else seen this?

Anyways, I decided to roast a batch: 1/2 pound (Kenya AA) @ the 1 pound setting (to give me more time to roast), P1, Start!  First crack @ about 11 minutes, pressed the cool button when 2nd crack started picking up I'd say about 14 minutes into the roast.  It produced a nice dark brown/reddish colored bean which seemed puffier than what I got from the popper.  It does take much longer to get to 1st crack vs popper but I feel the trip to 2nd crack is FAST and I need to really pay attention.  Oh and the whirring sound didn't come back..  Maybe the machine is "settling in".

All in all, I'm satisfied with my first encounter with the Behmor and looking forward to more roasts and really get a feel for it to start experimenting with the other profiles.

Marc
Pinch
Pinch

Posted Fri Sep 9, 2011, 5:23pm

I'm having my 2nd cappuccino using the beans from my first batch roasted with the Behmor.  WOW, there's so much more taste that I ever had using the popper.  I'm not saying the popper is no good, just "thinner" to me..  This is only my first roast so I'm hoping it's going to get even better when I get the hang of it and try lighter roasts, since this one went a bit far but still excellent!  I guess one downer is the fact that the coffee at work now tastes surprisingly bitter... a rich man's problem this is :o)

I hope I'm not boring you with my excitement but after all the reading and popper roasting, the hobby is really paying off with great taste.

Ok enough  ;o)
Lthaus

Espresso: S24
Grinder: Md40
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Sunbeam popper
Posted Fri Sep 9, 2011, 6:41pm

I just the other day started trying to use a Sunbeam popper..
I never got to first crack.  

I have to wonder if the popper has a thermal safety that is cutting the heat and letting the fan run a bit faster.

What brand of popper did you use and should I think about taking it apart to hot wire the "hot" wire.. ;)

v
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Finally taking...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.295490026474)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+