Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
looked for a roaster , built my own 2KG all steel video of first roasts attached
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > looked for a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
Author Messages
moreshots

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cimbali DT1//Jura Z5
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Pharos
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Made my own 2KG roaster
Posted Sun Jul 31, 2011, 3:24pm
Subject: looked for a roaster , built my own 2KG all steel video of first roasts attached

looking for a professional sample roaster like Probat, San franciscan, dedrich
Thanks
Bill
 View Profile Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sun Jul 31, 2011, 4:00pm
Subject: Re: anyone know of a used San franciscan sample roaster for sale??

These are not all that easy to find, I ended up buying new since ones for sale where only about $1000 less then new.
moreshots

Posted Sun Jul 31, 2011, 5:23pm

Could I ask what the Dedrich cost you  new?
Thanks

germantownrob Said:

These are not all that easy to find, I ended up buying new since ones for sale where only about $1000 less then new.

Posted July 31, 2011 link

germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Sun Jul 31, 2011, 6:07pm

moreshots Said:

Could I ask what the Dedrich cost you  new?
Thanks

Sure. Sit down, take a deep breath and let it out slowly. $8550, that includes a custom table, SS hopper (which i believe is included now at no cost) and crating and shipping. So call the roaster around $6500. Diedrich roaster are one of the more expensive machines and the Ir-1 just came out this year so I doubt you will find a used one available yet, my serial # is 008.

I saw a used price for the San Fransican 1lb for $5500 this year but it is already sold. http://www.coffeed.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&p=31550
JonR10 has a 1lb Us Roasting Corp machine that sells new for around $5k, the Toper Cafemino 1kg roaster is around $5500. Feima out of Taiwan makes some very nice roasters and their 1 lb is under $3000 and their 1 kg is around $5000, the 1 kg was my second choice for a roaster. http://www.feima.com.tw/en/product.html#b

There are other options for less money like the Sonofresco air roaster but it really has no control over the roast and there is building your own if you have the time. I will say that the Diedrich are worth every penny but understand that it is built to roast all day long and go for years and years, not exactly what a home roaster will put the machine through. If you are thinking about selling coffee I would seriously consider a 2-5kg machine otherwise you will put many hours a day just into roasting and not into business and they cost a small fraction more then a 1-2 lb machine.
moreshots

Posted Sun Jul 31, 2011, 6:33pm

So for say 10K you come close to a 2-5 kg Diedrich??
not all that bad that is if you end up selling some to offset the cost?
Thanks for the info where did you have your shipped from and would you have a contact at Diedrich you recommend?
there is a used Diedrich IR# for 12K on ebay??
Thanks Bill

germantownrob Said:

Sure. Sit down, take a deep breath and let it out slowly. $8550, that includes a custom table, SS hopper (which i believe is included now at no cost) and crating and shipping. So call the roaster around $6500. Diedrich roaster are one of the more expensive machines and the Ir-1 just came out this year so I doubt you will find a used one available yet, my serial # is 008.

I saw a used price for the San Fransican 1lb for $5500 this year but it is already sold. http://www.coffeed.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&p=31550
JonR10 has a 1lb Us Roasting Corp machine that sells new for around $5k, the Toper Cafemino 1kg roaster is around $5500. Feima out of Taiwan makes some very nice roasters and their 1 lb is under $3000 and their 1 kg is around $5000, the 1 kg was my second choice for a roaster. http://www.feima.com.tw/en/product.html#b

There are other options for less money like the Sonofresco air roaster but it really has no control over the roast and there is building your own if you have the time. I will say that the Diedrich are worth every penny but understand that it is built to roast all day long and go for years and years, not exactly what a home roaster will put the machine through. If you are thinking about selling coffee I would seriously consider a 2-5kg machine otherwise you will put many hours a day just into roasting and not into business and they cost a small fraction more then a 1-2 lb machine.

germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Sun Jul 31, 2011, 7:56pm

http://www.diedrichroasters.com/index.cfm?page=Home
Diedrich is located in Sandpoint Idaho and the roaster was crated and shipped to Philadelphia Pa. Shawn Countreras who is director of sales at Diedrich answered all my many questions and took me seriously even though I was just a home roaster, after many emails and a very long phone conversation I knew I had found the roaster I wanted.

Do take into account that an IR-12 weights 960lbs and would almost certainly need an after burner and commercial gas supply and one day I want one! If you do consider buying a used roaster you will want to know all you can about the machine, for instance the Toper Cafemino does not have control over the gas pressure (heat level), only air flow, there are posts about modding it for control through.
moreshots

Posted Mon Aug 1, 2011, 2:22am

Keep me in mind if you ever sell the IR1
I will be looking for a local used one as I have no need to hurry but want a quality unit .
Thanks
Bill

germantownrob Said:

http://www.diedrichroasters.com/index.cfm?page=Home
Diedrich is located in Sandpoint Idaho and the roaster was crated and shipped to Philadelphia Pa. Shawn Countreras who is director of sales at Diedrich answered all my many questions and took me seriously even though I was just a home roaster, after many emails and a very long phone conversation I knew I had found the roaster I wanted.

Do take into account that an IR-12 weights 960lbs and would almost certainly need an after burner and commercial gas supply and one day I want one! If you do consider buying a used roaster you will want to know all you can about the machine, for instance the Toper Cafemino does not have control over the gas pressure (heat level), only air flow, there are posts about modding it for control through.

moreshots

Posted Sat Nov 12, 2011, 4:10am

I decided to build my own and to date its going well. this will be a 2 kg roaster based off of a Probat design.
here is a link to the pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/coava/sets/72157623823638937/
I made mine using a 10" diameter drum and bought all of the materials on line

will post pics later

Bill
moreshots

Posted Sat Nov 19, 2011, 1:29pm

initial pics of roaster

moreshots: Coffee Roaster 016.JPG
(Click for larger image)
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Sat Nov 19, 2011, 1:57pm

Great! I hope you will document your build, i am sure there will be many that will want to build there own and as you know there is a lot of research into coming up with a plan for this project. I will be very curious as to your final costs and hours in the build, my gut tells me it can't be cheap but the savings is in all the man hours it takes to build. Keep the details coming!
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > looked for a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.331709861755)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+