Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
looked for a roaster , built my own 2KG all steel video of first roasts attached
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > looked for a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
moreshots

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cimbali DT1//Jura Z5
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Pharos
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Made my own 2KG roaster
Posted Wed Nov 23, 2011, 8:31am
Subject: Re: anyone know of a used San franciscan sample roaster for sale??

Yes will document it using an infrared burner from a Solaire portable grill
Should work great but should have a test roast in the next week or two

I am just deciding what to do with the flow between the cooling box and the top pipe that extracts from the heating chamber
Bill

germantownrob Said:

Great! I hope you will document your build, i am sure there will be many that will want to build there own and as you know there is a lot of research into coming up with a plan for this project. I will be very curious as to your final costs and hours in the build, my gut tells me it can't be cheap but the savings is in all the man hours it takes to build. Keep the details coming!

Posted November 19, 2011 link

View Profile Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Wed Nov 23, 2011, 8:51am

moreshots Said:

Yes will document it using an infrared burner from a Solaire portable grill
Should work great but should have a test roast in the next week or two

I am just deciding what to do with the flow between the cooling box and the top pipe that extracts from the heating chamber
Bill

Posted November 23, 2011 link

The IR Diedrich's use one motor for air flow through the cooling bin and roast chamber, 80/20, 50/50, or 20/80. The air flow going through the roast chamber is pre heated with heat syncs. Other machines have a seperate motor for chamber and cooling tray.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Wed Nov 23, 2011, 11:09am

moreshots Said:

initial pics of roaster

Posted November 19, 2011 link

You should throw the picture over to the folks at homeroasters.org .  They would love to see what you are doing.  (We do too, of course).

Looks like great work.  Nice to see.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
hankua
hankua
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Salvatore One Black
Grinder: Major, Rossi, Tanzenia,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, CCD
Roaster: Feima 800n
Posted Wed Nov 23, 2011, 3:48pm
Subject: Re: looked for a roaster decided to build my own

Great work Bill! Looks very professional. My little Yang roaster has a similar design as yours and I can email you detailed photos as well as another album from a roaster builder in Taiwan.

My top tube has flangs on both sides for removal/cleaning. There is an air valve in the top tube, just a round flap with a knob on one end. The fan on the top tube has a heat resistant motor, with a cyclone chaff collector attached. The gas controls are simple and precise, a gate valve for gross adjustment followed by a needle valve for normal adjustment, then a very sensitive pressure gauge for tracking gas adjustments. In my second album are some pics of a home built burner pipe you could make yourself. My burners are on an adjustable bracket and can be raised or lowered. The drum has a unique adjustment for fine tuning the travel forward/backward that I can't quite figure, something simple would work fine.

Yang roasters have variable speed drum motors, and I'm discovering that's a nice feature to have especially when roasting small batches. I like having the air and gas control within easy reach of each other and learning how to use both together. A variable speed drum motor on your setup would really be sweet.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
moreshots

Posted Sun Nov 27, 2011, 5:42am

worked on the gas system and will install it today , propane is 2500 btu's/ scfh. for better understanding I installed a flow meter to measure gas flow. last night the test showed that the 3 positions were low 2 scfh , med 3 scfh high 5 scfh and is needed you could push down the regulator dial and get 7 scfh . all these would be x 2500 for btu value. also the solaire burner I am using is infrared and takes say 2-4 minutes to get to temprature then its fine.
connected the drive motor box and fan controls but have to make the fan variable speed for better control.

anyhow moving forward, bought a smal cyclone for the chaff collection should be here next week.

Bill
moreshots

Posted Mon Dec 5, 2011, 12:24pm

I have had the oportunity to build and now have a first roast for this unit, if you are thinking about making a  unit for your self I would highly recommennd it . I have had a great time working on it here and there duiing the last 3 months and now its done. you will learn a lot in the process and most importantly you will know your maching better than anyone.
I completed mine this weekend and also just completed the first roast this morning . I have a lot to lean and also got a great product of the first 2# roast .

Thanks for everyones help and support in answering questions. this roaster has the capacity from 1 to 5 pounds a roast/.

also cost approx $2,000.00 all in

Bill

moreshots: coffee roaster 1 011.JPG
(Click for larger image)
moreshots

Posted Mon Dec 5, 2011, 12:27pm

another pic

moreshots: coffee roaster 1 018.JPG
(Click for larger image)
thehubbell
thehubbell

Espresso: Moka Pot
Grinder: KA Proline
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: #2 Pourover Filter
Roaster: Popper Modded w/ switch...
Posted Mon Dec 5, 2011, 3:25pm

This is really great.  I would love to do something similar.  What degree of skill do you have with welding and machining?
moreshots

Posted Tue Dec 6, 2011, 10:14am

I have sound mechanical judgement but prior to this I had NO welding experiance at all . so this was the learning curve . for the most part you can get away with heavy tack welding but after some practice and setting of the maching correctly beads will become easy to do .

machining was for the drum only everthing else cut on a bandsaw then ground.

Bill

t

thehubbell Said:

This is really great.  I would love to do something similar.  What degree of skill do you have with welding and machining?

Posted December 5, 2011 link

moreshots

Posted Tue Dec 13, 2011, 10:31am

We have roasted 3 loads this morning of different blends at 2.5# per batch with great sucess. the machine is working great.
the first crack is comming at around 10 munutes and the second out at 14 to 15 minutes.

moreshots Said:

I have sound mechanical judgement but prior to this I had NO welding experiance at all . so this was the learning curve . for the most part you can get away with heavy tack welding but after some practice and setting of the maching correctly beads will become easy to do .

machining was for the drum only everthing else cut on a bandsaw then ground.

Bill

t

Posted December 6, 2011 link

showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > looked for a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.364953994751)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+