Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
How do gas roasters affect the flavor of the coffee?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > How do gas...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
joshuamurphy75
joshuamurphy75
Expertise: Professional
Posted Sun Jul 3, 2011, 7:30pm
Subject: How do gas roasters affect the flavor of the coffee?

I am planning on starting to roast coffee with my next pay check. I am starting with a popcorn popper but I am thinking of building a larger scale roaster in about a year. I like the idea of a drum roaster heated by gas burners but I was wondering if they impart any off flavors into the coffee. If so, what is a good way to avoid this?
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sun Jul 3, 2011, 7:34pm
Subject: Re: How do gas roasters affect the flavor of the coffee?

I've never found gas roasters to impart any off flavors.  Are you anticipating using a gas grill for your roasting?  If so, I would recommend that if you use the grill for other stuff like grilling meat to just make sure that no fats are left after the grilling.  Easily done with a high temp burn off prior to roasting the beans.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
joshuamurphy75
joshuamurphy75
Posted Sun Jul 3, 2011, 8:25pm

Yes and no. I am thinking of building a gas grill just for roasting. I plan to use burners that are sold as replacement burners for grills, with a more insulated casing, possibly a barrel shaped brick oven design.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Mon Jul 4, 2011, 8:43am

joshuamurphy75 Said:

Yes and no. I am thinking of building a gas grill just for roasting. I plan to use burners that are sold as replacement burners for grills, with a more insulated casing, possibly a barrel shaped brick oven design.

Posted July 3, 2011 link

I don't think you'd have any taste influence issues from the gas.  I would just make sure that the barrel you use (if using one) has no kind of lining in it, just plain metal.    Either that or I'd get a darn good fire going in the barrel prior to you working on the project to rid it of any paint or other residue.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Mon Jul 4, 2011, 9:34am

There is a on going debate of cooking with charcoal vs gas and the main difference is that gas does not impart any flavor. I like hardwood charcoal for cooking and gas for roasting.

Diedrich advertises their IR burners as very efficient compared to atmospheric burners, I really can't comment on this. I can say that I do not get any tastes from my roasts using NG and I would think I would notice something after 4+ years of using electric roasters nor have I seen any home roaster make any comments of off or added tastes from using gas as their heat source.

There are a few threads at HB on home built gas roasters.

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

There are some more as well.
joshuamurphy75
joshuamurphy75
Posted Mon Jul 4, 2011, 11:28am

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

I don't think you'd have any taste influence issues from the gas.  I would just make sure that the barrel you use (if using one) has no kind of lining in it, just plain metal.    Either that or I'd get a darn good fire going in the barrel prior to you working on the project to rid it of any paint or other residue.

Len

Posted July 4, 2011 link

Good point, I am still not sure of what to use. If I can find it, I will probably just use stainless steel sheets and a welder. I will still do a burn with nothing in it, then roast some cheap coffee to season it and learn the roaster before putting in any of the expensive stuff.
joshuamurphy75
joshuamurphy75
Posted Mon Jul 4, 2011, 11:30am

germantownrob Said:

Diedrich advertises their IR burners as very efficient compared to atmospheric burners, I really can't comment on this. I can say that I do not get any tastes from my roasts using NG and I would think I would notice something after 4+ years of using electric roasters nor have I seen any home roaster make any comments of off or added tastes from using gas as their heat source.

Posted July 4, 2011 link

I have never looked into IR burners but I will read up on them. I will save the charcoal and the wood for grilling, smoking and baking in the pizza oven (next project).
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Mon Jul 4, 2011, 11:46am

joshuamurphy75 Said:

I have never looked into IR burners but I will read up on them. I will save the charcoal and the wood for grilling, smoking and baking in the pizza oven (next project).

Posted July 4, 2011 link

Got ribs on the smoker now ( oak charcoal and some cherry and pecan chunks for smoke) and about to roast some beans on the Diedrich.

Click Here (www.bbqsource-forums.com)

http://www.red-ray.com/technology.htm
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Mon Jul 4, 2011, 2:35pm

germantownrob Said:

Got ribs on the smoker now ( oak charcoal and some cherry and pecan chunks for smoke) and about to roast some beans on the Diedrich.

Click Here (www.bbqsource-forums.com)

http://www.red-ray.com/technology.htm

Posted July 4, 2011 link

Slow smoked about 4 lb. homemade natural casing german frankfurters and BBQ'd 3 pork shoulders a couple days ago.  14 hour slow and low on the shoulders, using all oak logs.  Brined the shoulders for about 3 days prior to BBQ in homemade brine made from a ton of leftover key lime skins , apple juice, pineapple juice, salt, brown sugar, cloves, pepper.  After my wife and I put the shoulders in the BBQ we brought the leftover brine to a boil and used it as a mop.

Started smoking it at 1:30pm, took out at 3:30pm, wrapped in foil, went to bed, woke up about 7 hours later and pulled the shoulders.  We then put in zip lock baggies and freeze.  Left one bag to consume that day.

Put a tiny bit of Goya hot sauce on it, with butternut squash, peaches, pears, and olives on the side.  AWESOME barely proclaims how great it was.

Last night had some Key Lime pie my wife made (we found a low carb way to make an awesome one).  Instead of using sweetened condensed milk (super high in carbs) she used a mixture of evaporated milk/dry milk/stevia in the raw (new from Sugar in the Raw); and instead of traditional graham cracker crust (also high in carbs), she made an almond flour crust.  Homemade whip cream sweetened with Stevia in the Raw.  Compared to traditional Key Lime Pie (which we have made many a time), you could hardly tell any difference.  

Personally I like splenda better than the new Stevia in the Raw.  Stevia has a bit of a bitterness that I don't really care for.

Len

CoffeeRoastersClub: smoker1.jpg
(Click for larger image)

joshuamurphy75
joshuamurphy75
Posted Mon Jul 4, 2011, 7:10pm

Sounds good, except for when you mentioned splenda. I can't stand the stuff.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > How do gas...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.371199131012)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+