Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Question(s) on Toper Cafemino 1KG Roaster & Diedrich IR-1
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Question(s) on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 19 of 21 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 11:52am
Subject: Re: Question(s) on Toper Cafemino 1KG Roaster & Diedrich IR-1

Happiest Said:

I'd like to revive this post to find out if any of the participants have any further info....?

I'm in the market for a small batch unit and have been directed to look at an Ambex unit. Has anyone seen an Ambex machine in the GTA, I'm trying to get a real review....Also, I'll be needing a roaster that can run on propane...

Posted August 3, 2013 link

Ambex's website has been under construction for a very long while now. When I started this thread there where some posts around the web about people not being able to get in touch with them and they had paid for and waiting for their machines. I have since seen people get an Ambex so I don't know, I just knew I didn't want a machine from a company that may or may not be answering their phones.

There are many choices for 1lb plus machines that have come to the market since this thread was started, many are being discussed at HB presently.
 View Profile Link to this post
Breeze
Breeze
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: TechniVorm/Krups MB
Roaster: Toper 1 kilo
Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013, 3:33am

I haven't been on the site for a while, logged in this morning and what pops up but the Cafemino/Diedrich thread!

+1 with Rob on Ambex.  Last news I heard wasn't good but they may be back up and running.  If their web site is functional and you can get a prompt reply for info. that would be a good sign.  I can't offer any information on the quality of their product....

Still blasting away with my 1 kilo gas Cafemino down here.  The economy is shot to hell but my volume has held up.  I'm doing a little retail and also supplying The Bistro with a fresh local roast for one of their drip lines.  The bulk of my sales remain, my hand to yours, word of mouth.  A lot of discussion revolves around capacity and I understand the complexity of solving that riddle before you write that check.  Anything less than 1 kilo is too small if you are going to be producing and anything larger needs to be weighed carefully given the up front cost.  A good week for me is 30 pounds so fifteen batches does not slow me down.  It actually averages more than that because roasting only to order, I do a fair number of 1/2 kilo runs.  

Sometimes at night I dream that Rob's Diedrich is sitting on my stainless table but the Cafemino is an old school workhorse.  I discovered that some beans were being trapped above the drum when I dump and would later fall into the drum resulting in a few under-roasted beans I had to pluck out of the cooling bin.  Now I open and close the dump arm a few times to make sure all the beans go down the hatch and I've solved that problem.  When the temp reaches the point where a lot of chaff is created I also need to open up the drum air or I get a blockage in the depression created by the sight glass.  After purging the chaff I can close her back down with no problems and my profiles have evolved to take this into account.  

I guess doing this is a bit like baking, the longer I do it the more dignified and relaxed it has become and the results please my customers.  Of course it's not like they have any other option for fresh coffee down here but I do have folks that travel and sample mainline roasts in the NW and even they are pleased.  I've gone with fifty pounders from Shrub, exclusively and that works well from a quantity, price per pound, and shipping cost stand point.  The inland freight from Oakland to Miami is around thirty bucks on a bag with ocean and customs, another twenty-three dollars, about a dollar per pound shipping, Oakland to the Virgin Islands.  

Cheers to all and I'll try to check in more frequently.

Tomas
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Sat Aug 10, 2013, 5:12am

Good to hear from you Tomas, I hope you do check in more frequently, I like that island breeze you bring, lol.

Glad I got my Diedrich when I did, it now cost $12k.

One day soon I need to visit the Virgin Islands, I think it will have to be your island so I can make sure to get good coffee!
Breeze
Breeze

Posted Mon Aug 12, 2013, 1:32am

germantownrob Said:

One day soon I need to visit the Virgin Islands, I think it will have to be your island so I can make sure to get good coffee!

Posted August 10, 2013 link

Ouch....12K?  I have no idea what Toper gets these days for the Cafemino but the price is up, I'm sure.

Come on down!  We'll be here because as they say, "We're all here because we're not all there".
amhas
amhas
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vivaldi II
Grinder: Barazta Forte
Roaster: Behmor 1600 Plus
Posted Thu Oct 23, 2014, 10:32am

germantownrob,

I'm looking at the IR-1 as we speak.  I am also weighing the San Franciscan SF1 too...  My concern is what I will be able to produce with both.  The IR reportedly can run 2.2lb/1K max but I don't know if that's realistic. However, it looks like the SF1 is limited to 1.3LB max.  Need to confirm if that's realistic too.  I know a IR 2.5 or similar SF6 would be better for production I am concerned it would not be so good for profiling as I would not really want to blow through 2.2 plus LB on each attempt to profile.  Realistically the price for a IR 2.5 or SF6 is just more than I am comfortable spending but if it is the better option then I will wait and or look for a used unit.

Any thoughts here or suggestions from your experiences with your IR1?  

I'm struggling with the decision here...

P.S. I read this entire post today from start to finish and it was very enlightening and I felt like I was reading a good book, excited for you as you received and began learning on your IR-1.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Sat Oct 25, 2014, 8:14am

The Diedrich IR-1 fits my needs perfectly. It roasts 1kg and 900-1000g is what I normally roast but being maxed out hitting target temp is important. Roasting 450-500g allows a lot of fudge room during the roast to play with profiles.

The bad news is the IR-1 price increases have made it in the same price range as the 410lb ir-2.5.  The good news there are many more choices in small commercial roasters then there ever has been.
Breeze
Breeze

Posted Sun Oct 26, 2014, 11:39am

FrankieD Said:

Unfortunately the problem I had reappeared a few days later an since I have not been able to get it to work again. The entire vave control system has been replaced by Toper but the problem persists. Any suggestions would be welcome

Posted January 5, 2012 link

My comments after working a 1 kilo Toper Gas for several years now.

At one point while coming up to heat, say below 100 C the gas would repeatedly shut off.  I adjusted the prongs that the pilot needs to heat, still had some issues and then removed the chromed plate in front of the gas burner which helped further.  I still had occasional shut downs below 100 C but never above that temperature.

At one point I removed the hopper assembly from the machine front and pulled the motor/fan from the rear and cleaned the tube which is suction side for the drum.  It had some accumulation of crud.  That seemed to solve the shutdown issue.  

More recently the electronic box with the LED readout failed and I replaced that and the thermocouple from Toper and back up and running...but I started to have Chaff exit inside the front drum bearing and fall into the frame and had more shut downs.    Again I pulled the load hopper assembly and motor fan assy and holy moly...the tube was almost completely plugged and back at the fan housing, it was plugged.  I spent some time getting all the crud out of the airways, back together and the machine is operating like new...no shutdowns, beautiful roasts.  

Have you cleaned your airways?  Clogging in the upper tube, the one with the damper can and will cause problems.  My only error was overshooting the schedule, with bad results.

I noted the mod for flame control but have not committed myself to do it.  Instead I use the control to lower the max temp which brings the temperature down in a controlled fashion, and back up if desired by decreasing/increasing the max temp.  The Toper is akin to a farm tractor, in my opinion while perhaps the Diedrich may be more Mercedes.  I'm fine with the tractor and over the years have learned how to achieve a variety of repeatable profiles on a variety of coffees.  My roasts receive many complements, even from those who know what a proper roast is, and in the case of someone not appreciating my product, tough......the alternative is forty steps down the hole.  I am the only source of fresh roast coffee in the Virgin Islands.
Breeze
Breeze

Posted Sun Oct 26, 2014, 11:48am

Oh..and while I roast with a tractor, I'm currently pulling shots with a Lamborghini.

There's a brand new Bezzera Strega on the counter and my 'o my.  I loved my Pasquini Livia 90 but it's found a new home on another island and my toes are wiggling every time I pull a Strega shot!
amhas
amhas
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vivaldi II
Grinder: Barazta Forte
Roaster: Behmor 1600 Plus
Posted Mon Oct 27, 2014, 8:12am

germantownrob Said:

The Diedrich IR-1 fits my needs perfectly. It roasts 1kg and 900-1000g is what I normally roast but being maxed out hitting target temp is important. Roasting 450-500g allows a lot of fudge room during the roast to play with profiles.

The bad news is the IR-1 price increases have made it in the same price range as the 410lb ir-2.5.  The good news there are many more choices in small commercial roasters then there ever has been.

Posted October 25, 2014 link

Thanks!  Oh my have they gone up, from what I have heard the initial price was or was going to be.  Price quote I got for the IR-2.5 was nearly half again as much as the IR-1.  It does seem like a better option to go with a IR 2.5 but the problem I have is that's a lot of coffee to work out profiles on, especially with the inevitable learning curve I will have.  I like the San Franciscan too but I'm leaning towards the IR-1 because of the sizing.  My only concern right now is if I can add a environmental temp probe and connect it to Artisan software.  You have you attempted to do anything like this yet?
Any other words of wisdom before I pull the trigger would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again!!!
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Mon Oct 27, 2014, 10:01am

amhas Said:

Thanks!  Oh my have they gone up, from what I have heard the initial price was or was going to be.  Price quote I got for the IR-2.5 was nearly half again as much as the IR-1.  It does seem like a better option to go with a IR 2.5 but the problem I have is that's a lot of coffee to work out profiles on, especially with the inevitable learning curve I will have.  I like the San Franciscan too but I'm leaning towards the IR-1 because of the sizing.  My only concern right now is if I can add a environmental temp probe and connect it to Artisan software.  You have you attempted to do anything like this yet?
Any other words of wisdom before I pull the trigger would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again!!!

Posted October 27, 2014 link

I guess it depends on your roaster location and what you want to do in the end. The IR-1 weights 130lbs and not fun to move, the 2.5 weighs 410lbs but can produce enough roasted beans to sell. Trying to sell beans from the IR-1 is more work then profit but man do I give good gifts and a lot of them. The 1lb roaster is probably the ideal size for a home roaster both in weight and batch size, I am still glad I went with a 1kg machine for myself.

I waited for Diedrich to come out with their data logging they had promised me and when it did I laughed at the cost and the idea of shipping my roaster to them and back again. I then started to research doing it myself, there should be some you tubes of pro roasters setting it up. In the end I have been roasting by BM and senses for so long I put it on the back burner.

Really surprised at their double what I paid for the machine it doesn't have the data logging they where so proud of?!
showing page 19 of 21 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Question(s) on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.395846128464)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+