Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
‘Roastmaster’, the iPhone App
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > ‘Roastmaster’,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
cbowers
cbowers
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus III,...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: i-Roast 2 (w/ TC) +...
Posted Thu Jul 14, 2011, 8:34am
Subject: Re: ‘Roastmaster’, the iPhone App

That's not actually the way multitasking works in iOS.  They weren't all "running".
Apple doesn't let most apps run in the background.
There are portions of code that can keep running that use certain API's for audio, location, VOIP, etc.

What you're seeing is the task swapping.  Apps are put into a suspended mode, their state is frozen and some memory is returned to the system.  
The suspended app apart from the special exception APIs above, doesn't get any CPU time, and won't be contributing to battery loss.

After the double tab of the home button, you're seeing a "recently used" list of apps that can be re-animated to their previous state.
iOS reserves the right to terminate them if it needs more memory, or you can manually terminate them if the app is not re-launching correctly.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cbowers
cbowers

Posted Thu Jul 14, 2011, 8:41am

a small technical quibble, but if I understand you to say you left roastmaster, and returned and the clock was still tracking correctly (not lost any time), what's actually happened there was that at the point you press the start button, Roastmaster stores the time you pushed it.  If you leave the app, it's suspended and not running.  When you return to the app, the counter interface is able to continue without appearing to have missed any time because it's displaying the current time from the system clock, minus the time stamp when the button was pushed.
jfutral

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jul 14, 2011, 8:45am

Not  that Rob can't speak for himself and not that I am someone who can speak for him (mostly I'm just bored right now), but I think he needed to do that (based on his previous posts) so that Roastmaster iPad would update with the database from his Roastmaster iPhone/iPod, not that he felt any compelling reason to stop Roastmaster. It's part of the procedure the developer outlined for transferring data from one device to the other.

Not to go OT, but I do find that if I stop GPS background apps, my battery lasts longer. But that is all I do on my iPhone and iPad. Those seem to suck power even when the app should be in stasis. I'll do more if I have an OCD episode, but not for any technical reason.

Joe
 View Profile Link to this post
cbowers
cbowers

Posted Thu Jul 14, 2011, 9:11am

jfutral Said:

Not  that Rob can't speak for himself and not that I am someone who can speak for him (mostly I'm just bored right now), but I think he needed to do that (based on his previous posts) so that Roastmaster iPad would update with the database from his Roastmaster iPhone/iPod, not that he felt any compelling reason to stop Roastmaster. It's part of the procedure the developer outlined for transferring data from one device to the other.

Posted July 14, 2011 link

Hmm, don't recall having to do that myself.  Switching to the imported database in utilities seemed straight forward.  Though I'd never had a roast in progress while doing so.

jfutral Said:

Not to go OT, but I do find that if I stop GPS background apps, my battery lasts longer. But that is all I do on my iPhone and iPad. Those seem to suck power even when the app should be in stasis. I'll do more if I have an OCD episode, but not for any technical reason.

Yup.  GPS is one of the inputs to the Location services API which does run in the background, and is one of the exceptions I mentioned in the last post.  In fact I find there's little else more hard on the battery than running a GPS related app in the background.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Thu Jul 14, 2011, 9:44am

cbowers Said:

Hmm, don't recall having to do that myself.  Switching to the imported database in utilities seemed straight forward.  Though I'd never had a roast in progress while doing so.

Yup.  GPS is one of the inputs to the Location services API which does run in the background, and is one of the exceptions I mentioned in the last post.  In fact I find there's little else more hard on the battery than running a GPS related app in the background.

jfutral was correct when speaking for me, LOL. When loading a sqlite backup off the hard drive to a new device or to current device you have to close roastmaster down for the sqlite to load. I was doing this by doing a soft reset but now I know how to close it from running in the background.

Thanks for clearing up about how the background iOS stuff works. I came across it reading some faq in an HD game on the iPad and it suggested clearing background running apps, this game will suck the battery dead in a short while when below 50% battery power, actually it says to plug in to power if below 50% for best game performance.
cbowers
cbowers

Posted Thu Jul 14, 2011, 10:36am

I wonder if that's only if one wants to preserve the name.
I had observed that I couldn't replace the active db, but that was expected.  So 1_My Database, 2_My Database etc.  Then just switch the active DB.
It's also simple to close the active DB, rename it back without the prefix, and then reload it.

I suppose unneeded steps if I just made sure it was closed when I transferred the database.

Still in all, very powerful and slick database handling.  Likely wouldn't get the Steve Jobs stamp of approval (it should read your mind and not require a UI), but it appeals to the IT manager in me.  Particularly in a stand alone app versus a client/server model, where I really don't want to lose data.

I do hope for some network options for db transfer though, be it dropbox, webdav, iCloud.  It would be nice to not have to use iTunes to do the transfer, and nice to have the DB up in the cloud, so that I can grab the latest copy for my phone when needed.  If my Wife's using the iPad, it would be nice not to have to wrench it from her and sync, just so that I can transfer and roast with my phone.
MorrisA

Espresso: Lelit PL042 - with grinder;...
Grinder: Lelit PL042 has a grinder,...
Drip: Cuisinart; Chemex
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Mon Jul 18, 2011, 6:58pm

Also, you can make a phone call, text, check the weather for those all important ambient temp and humidity measures, and return to Roastmaster and it is still there doing it's thing like you never left.
tedegreene
tedegreene

Espresso: Bezzera BZ40
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Sep 6, 2011, 5:23pm
Subject: "Coffee Roaster" for Adroid is in the Google Market for free

I haven't actually used the free app available in the market but it looks like it has some good features and the price is right.:
Henrythewound

Posted Wed Aug 7, 2013, 3:06pm
Subject: Re: "Coffee Roaster" for Adroid is in the Google Market for free

I'm not sure if there is a newer thread for Roastmaster but I wanted to toss in my opinion on this app. I recently got a Behmor and Roastmaster. The newest version of Roastmaster (4.1 as of the date of this post) has a bunch of settings built in tailored for the Behmor 1600 which makes setup and use pretty painless. I had some questions about the app and received multiple prompt email responses from the app developer Danny. So far I'm very impressed with the app and recommend it to anyone looking to be a bit more organized in their roasting. So far I like to be able to know about when I should be looking for 1st crack to start so I can be ready to stop the roast at the appropriate time. Currently I'm trying for lighter roasts up to around City+ or thereabouts. It sounds like some tutorial videos for Roastmaster are in the works and the support is certainly top notch. Check out their website here, I spent more on this app than on any other I have purchased before but it is definitely worth it to me.
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > ‘Roastmaster’,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.374465942383)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+