Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
‘Roastmaster’, the iPhone App
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > ‘Roastmaster’,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MarkAmn

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Apr 30, 2011, 4:06pm
Subject: Re: ‘Roastmaster’, the iPhone App

Whatever day it was I last posted was not too long after he had started to beta test. My recollection is that he didn't think it would be in beta very long.
 View Profile Link to this post
cbowers
cbowers
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus III,...
Grinder: Baratza Various-W
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: i-Roast 2 (w/ TC) +...
Posted Tue May 31, 2011, 11:12pm

Joel_B Said:

Now this is good news.  Any idea when the iPad apps coming?

Posted April 7, 2011 link

Late to close this off, but it's out now.  Seems it was released later that same day Mark.  April 30th.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
YooperMan

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: Bodom Chambord
Drip: Black & Decker DLX1050W
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Sun Jun 5, 2011, 7:23pm

I just wanted to add my 2 cents.  I have 104 roasts recorded thus far with the "Roastmaster" iPhone version.  I thought I would miss manual note taking, but not so much.  I have grown quite used to this handy little app.  Not only does it track roast, but vendor information as well.  I also keep track of prices per vendor.  I can go on and on, but no need.  It is a very useful all-in-one (roast tracking, inventory, vendor, knowledge base) home roasting app.
jfutral

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jun 21, 2011, 8:51pm

iRoaster is available for the iPhone as well, without the garish graphics and $9 cheaper.

Joe

edit: well that changed quickly. But it is still $5 cheaper.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Wed Jun 29, 2011, 9:20am

I finally picked this app up and I can't believe I waited so long. I am still figuring out the advanced features but the more I play with it the more I love it. I do wish there where more directions for creating profiles, programs, curves, and nodes but I am slowly getting them figured out. Even without the advanced features this app blows the other 2 roasting apps I have had in the past out of the water!
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jun 29, 2011, 2:01pm

germantownrob Said:

I finally picked this app up and I can't believe I waited so long. I am still figuring out the advanced features but the more I play with it the more I love it. I do wish there where more directions for creating profiles, programs, curves, and nodes but I am slowly getting them figured out. Even without the advanced features this app blows the other 2 roasting apps I have had in the past out of the water!

Posted June 29, 2011 link

No doubt you have visited the website.  Danny Hall (time permitting) seems willing to explain things in detail.  Also, he welcomes your input, if you are trying to do something and the program is not co-operating.

I have now completed 30 roasts with it.

Using SQLite was a clever choice.  If I want to know how Roast 17 went, those data are presented in exactly the same format as they were entered.  

The ability to run 3 stop-watches simultaneously is great.  I can track time-to-1CR, time-to-2CR and total roast time with little effort.  

I can do roast after roast to the same degree and see, graphically, how close they came to one another.

I can sit and read a book (roaster in view) and only concentrate on the process at (say) the beginning of the 1CR.

Enjoy.

Jerry
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Thu Jun 30, 2011, 7:22am

JKalpin Said:

No doubt you have visited the website.  Danny Hall (time permitting) seems willing to explain things in detail.  Also, he welcomes your input, if you are trying to do something and the program is not co-operating.

I have now completed 30 roasts with it.

Using SQLite was a clever choice.  If I want to know how Roast 17 went, those data are presented in exactly the same format as they were entered.  

The ability to run 3 stop-watches simultaneously is great.  I can track time-to-1CR, time-to-2CR and total roast time with little effort.  

I can do roast after roast to the same degree and see, graphically, how close they came to one another.

I can sit and read a book (roaster in view) and only concentrate on the process at (say) the beginning of the 1CR.

Enjoy.

Posted June 29, 2011 link

There is so much about this app that makes life as a roaster so much easier and organized. A few days ago I created a fake bean and a separate roaster so I could play around without screwing things up and after a little more reading I think I am getting the hang of it. I am trying to track different drop in temps, charge weights (1lb-1kg), bean mass temps, air flow settings, gas pressure settings (amount of heat applied) and drying phase times, and of course time to FC and 2C but the app makes that easy. This is a lot to keep track of but I believe with more time and practice with the app it will become second nature to be able to input them all.
jfutral

Posted Fri Jul 1, 2011, 9:12am

What other apps did you find? I could only get iRoaster to show up other than Roastmaster. I don't mind Roastmaster, I just think the UI sucks. It's like reading a page that has ten different type faces in the layout. But it does handle the info well. I just can't always figure out how to get the info in there to begin with.

Joe
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Fri Jul 1, 2011, 9:22am

jfutral Said:

What other apps did you find? I could only get iRoaster to show up other than Roastmaster. I don't mind Roastmaster, I just think the UI sucks. It's like reading a page that has ten different type faces in the layout. But it does handle the info well. I just can't always figure out how to get the info in there to begin with.

Joe

Posted July 1, 2011 link

RoastTimer and Roast where the other two I tried, neither was very good in my opinion.
jfutral

Posted Sat Jul 2, 2011, 9:13am

Well, that was interesting. Roasttimer seems to be pretty much just that, a glorified stop watch with a few profile stats thrown in.

Roast was kind of simplistic and I am not sure what it does other than a flat file log you enter data in after the roast.

Roastmaster and iRoast seem far more useful for more than just an electronic version of index cards or stop watch. I still like iRoast better for its interface. But if Roastmaster could get an interface with a thermometer working, that would be sweet! I would still want that garish, confused mess of an interface ironed out, but the wireless (or even wired, I don't care) thermometer integration would rock.

If he gets the wireless thermocoupler worked out, he should port it to Lion, too. No need for it to be just an iPad/iPhone app (unless you really buy into the "post-pc" thing).

Joe
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > ‘Roastmaster’,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.339273929596)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+