Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > .  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jan 25, 2011, 3:05pm
Subject: .

View Profile Link to this post
ilcaffedio

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Astra G.A.
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jan 25, 2011, 4:14pm
Subject: Re: Next Gen Behmor 1600 Improvements, and other musings.

I'll add to that:
I know the Behmor is well loved, but the form factor alone has kept me from it.  Change it to a 'little drum roaster' form factor, similar to the Hot Top.
s0ckeyeus

Expertise: I love coffee
Posted Wed Jan 26, 2011, 7:04am

That's why I bought a Hottop and not a Behmor.

"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons" - T.S. Eliot
KeithA
KeithA

Espresso: 2 1980's LP Europiccola's
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Virtuoso,...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster,...
Posted Wed Jan 26, 2011, 8:25am

P2 is by far the most frustrating part of the unit. Being able to manually drop the wattage and kick it back up to finish the roast, while preserving the overall time of the roast should keep the lawyers happy, I would think. That what this is all about anyway. Keeping the unit safe, which I have absolutely no problem with. I have no need for temp info (just another variable). The cracks are very easy to hear. As far as looks go...is there an eye roll smiley around here. Who cares what it looks like? It works like a champ!

Good luck!
harmolodic

Posted Wed Jan 26, 2011, 11:32am

While it's fun to dream of additional functionality (I do too) the bottom line is that for $300 you get a roaster that easily does great roasts with little input from the user and does it again and again with repeatability. I've done over 300 pounds in 3 years and my ONLY disappointments were either subpar beans or user error.

Your $425 "Behmor Plus" might make an excellent additional product for the line, but I'd hate to see the less expensive, streamlined, no-bells-and-whistles version vanish.
mbrowne999
mbrowne999

Posted Wed Jan 26, 2011, 1:20pm

harmolodic Said:

While it's fun to dream of additional functionality (I do too) the bottom line is that for $300 you get a roaster that easily does great roasts with little input from the user and does it again and again with repeatability. I've done over 300 pounds in 3 years and my ONLY disappointments were either subpar beans or user error.

Your $425 "Behmor Plus" might make an excellent additional product for the line, but I'd hate to see the less expensive, streamlined, no-bells-and-whistles version vanish.

Posted January 26, 2011 link

I don't know that it would add much cost to allow users to manually control the power setting.  Just that alone would improve the functionality greatly.  I am a satisfied user, but really want more control of the temps.
KeithA
KeithA

Espresso: 2 1980's LP Europiccola's
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Virtuoso,...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster,...
Posted Wed Jan 26, 2011, 1:28pm

harmolodic Said:

+1
onthemoors

Grinder: Zassenhaus
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Hottop, Behmor
Posted Wed Jan 26, 2011, 2:28pm

mbrowne999 Said:

I don't know that it would add much cost to allow users to manually control the power setting.

People tend to look at a raw cost such as you are.

Say it's $20 more in raw materials to manufacture.

You then need to consider:
1) Amortized R&D costs (years)- engineers both electrical and electronic, draftsman, software designers
2) Mock-up costs
3) test costs
4) new certifcation(UL/ETL etc) costs
5) new insurance costs
6) larger tariffs, duties and import fees
7) new tooling
8) cost of money
9) greater fees to assemble
etc etc etc

The above could easily be $300-400,000.

Those all have to be figured in and then a return on the investment.

When averaged into a set build you could actually have an average cost per unit increase of $100-120 before dealer or manufacturing profits are added.

It isn't just the cost of a part that needs to be looked at, but all of the above and more, such as total available markets. If one considers the limited market coffeer roasters has, all of the costs 1-8 need to be of a greater average per unit.

Then you add in redesigns for 220volt systems..

To get 70% of the wish list I'd venture to guess you'd be looking at $150 price increase possibly a bit more
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Wed Jan 26, 2011, 10:19pm

Why wait for the next rev? I would wire some type of attenuator directly on the heater element, select 1lb P1 and do the heater control manually/directly.  I would also add some type of thermometer but could likely get by with an environment probe only.
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Wed Jan 26, 2011, 10:55pm

mbrowne999 Said:

I don't know that it would add much cost to allow users to manually control the power setting.  Just that alone would improve the functionality greatly.  I am a satisfied user, but really want more control of the temps.

You know that Joe reads this stuff, don't you?  I too hope that a new Behmor comes out with more temperature control.  

P2 is not that hard, assuming you do the first batch of that bean using P1 to see when 1C kicks in.  You can open and close the door during P1 to lengthen the duration before P2 comes along.

Then you have your data to get P2 working to your beans' advantage.  It's like ANY machine:  You have to get to know it.

LMWDP # 010
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > .  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.309303045273)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+