OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > .  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
KeithA
KeithA
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: 2 1980's LP Europiccola's
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Virtuoso,...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jan 27, 2011, 1:00am
Subject: Re: Next Gen Behmor 1600 Improvements, and other musings.

I am also a door opener. I gave up on P2. Having it fixed is just too difficult to time perfectly. For me, roasting is a lot like cooking. I don't worry about the precise temperature of the pan or the exact degree of the steak. Just cook it until it is perfect. Like you said, after a while you get a feel for these things. I find myself definitely in the "art" camp on this. I just want fresh, high quality coffee. SM beans and the Behmor hasn't let me down yet.

I am 99% happy with the roaster. But I suppose we can dream.  :)
 View Profile Link to this post
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Thu Jan 27, 2011, 5:02am

onthemoors Said:

You then need to consider:
1) Amortized R&D costs (years)- engineers both electrical and electronic, draftsman, software designers
2) Mock-up costs
3) test costs
4) new certifcation(UL/ETL etc) costs
5) new insurance costs
6) larger tariffs, duties and import fees
7) new tooling
8) cost of money
9) greater fees to assemble
etc etc etc

Posted January 26, 2011 link

Well understood and stated.  B|Java

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mbrowne999
mbrowne999

Posted Fri Jan 28, 2011, 12:59am

Prof Said:

You know that Joe reads this stuff, don't you?  I too hope that a new Behmor comes out with more temperature control.  

P2 is not that hard, assuming you do the first batch of that bean using P1 to see when 1C kicks in.  You can open and close the door during P1 to lengthen the duration before P2 comes along.

Then you have your data to get P2 working to your beans' advantage.  It's like ANY machine:  You have to get to know it.

Yep.  Lot's of creativity goes into workarounds.  Maybe Joe will share some thoughts about better user control hypothetically, all standard disclaimers, no relation at all to any Behmor living or dead.
jsaliga
jsaliga

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Compak K10...
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Technivorm, Clever Dripper
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B
Posted Sun Jan 30, 2011, 1:56pm

Keep in mind that there is greater competition at higher price points.  For $300 there really isn't any other drum roaster that the Behmor has to compete with, and I think most will agree that the Behmor offers a lot more value than lower cost roasters given its performance and capacity.  If you start piling on the costs the picture changes a lot.  Add $150 or so and now the Behmor is competing directly with the Gene Cafe.  Add $250 or more and it's competing with the Hottop.

--Jerome
ChuckInVancouver

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Jan 30, 2011, 5:19pm

jsaliga Said:

Add $150 or so and now the Behmor is competing directly with the Gene Cafe.  Add $250 or more and it's competing with the Hottop.

Posted January 30, 2011 link

I think that is an important point.  Joe identified a market niche and filled it nicely.  It is a lot of bang for the buck!   If the Behmor was the price of a HotTop, I probably would have bought a HotTop.

Chuck
Endo
Endo

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Sun Jan 30, 2011, 5:54pm

onthemoors Said:

You then need to consider:
1) Amortized R&D costs (years)- engineers both electrical and electronic, draftsman, software designers
2) Mock-up costs
3) test costs
4) new certifcation(UL/ETL etc) costs
5) new insurance costs
6) larger tariffs, duties and import fees
7) new tooling
8) cost of money
9) greater fees to assemble
etc etc etc

The above could easily be $300-400,000.

Include lawyer costs and I see that total doubling.
amajors

Espresso: Rancilio Audry
Grinder: Mazzer, Rocky for work
Drip: Aeropress for work
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu Mar 3, 2011, 3:05pm

Why doesn't this thread have any info on modding a Behmor?  Am I the only person who'd like to upgrade his out of warranty machine with better lights or consider insulating the box somehow?  There are plenty of threads on modding espresso machines!

I'd like to add another light on the right side, placed similar to the one currently on the left.  Why?  Because I like to watch things roast, even if we roast mainly by ear.
mbrowne999
mbrowne999

Posted Fri Mar 4, 2011, 1:32pm

amajors Said:

Why doesn't this thread have any info on modding a Behmor?  Am I the only person who'd like to upgrade his out of warranty machine with better lights or consider insulating the box somehow?  There are plenty of threads on modding espresso machines!

Posted March 3, 2011 link

Well, 'cuz people were musing about the next generation Behmor -- what we'd like to see built-in :)  There should definitely be a modding thread, though, since there are many creative workarounds in place though mainly for the current model's limited access to temperature control.
ljguitar
ljguitar
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulsar
Grinder: Mazzer SuperJolly• Baratza
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Behmor•Variacs
Posted Sat Mar 5, 2011, 10:03pm

KeithA Said:

...I am also a door opener.
...I gave up on P2.
...I am 99% happy with the roaster.
...But I suppose we can dream.  :)

Posted January 27, 2011 link

Hi Keith...
Coffee roasting for me is a very hands-on process...sounds like for you too.

I started 'roasting life' with a popper and then jumped right into 3 Fresh Roast original Units with modded aluminum bases (the original were not metal), and separate circuited Variacs on each of them.

My wife called it the 'dance of the beans'. I'd start it with just enough heat to churn the beans, and then turn Variacs down after a minute to about 70volts so the beans just barely trickled. I also propped the roasters at an angle (because the beans circulated better), and then increased the speed/heat/power (they all worked in unison), and then after I reached 1st crack, I'd back them way back to barely trickling for 2-3 minutes. Then I'd turn it up to about 128volts and push them til the thermometers were 425°F and climbing!

About half way through we had to turn the timer knob/switch/elements back on because the timing mechanism didn't go far enough for an extended batch.

When I finally hit ''cool'' I'd wait for the chamber to cool just enough to get it out of the base (because the metal bases would swell under heat) and pour beans into my 5 gallon plastic pail shop vac/colander bean-cooler. And I had 6 chambers so I could do back to back roasts and do 12 batches in a row (3 roasters times 4 batches). Lot of work for a pound and a half of beans!

Each roaster had holes drilled in lids with thermometers cemented in the lid (tip in the bean mass), and I could stetch a batch of espresso to 12-14 minutes. Left to it's own devices at full power, the first couple iterations of Fresh Roasts would have been in a rolling 2nd crack in about 5-6 minutes.

So what's a little door opening?
It's just the most inexpensive and practical solution to controlling the roast...

I open the door about 10 seconds into 1st crack for a full minute, and then I open it again (permanently) 15 seconds after I hit 'cool'.

If I leave the door closed during the cooling cycle the chamber and beans are still above 120°F when it's done. If I open the door, it's room temp (garage temp). I like the beans to hit room temp much quicker than when left to their own devices.

I don't care if Joe never improves the unit (though I suspect he will). I don't think just cutting the element power manually would accomplish what my 1-minute-door-open does.

L  a  r  r  Y          J

<°)))><
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Mar 5, 2011, 10:39pm

Netphilosopher Said:

snipped

I love the chaff tray, and there's a big price gap from the Behmor 1600 to the next "1lb" hobby coffee roaster ($700's) so there's room to move up for those who love the smoke reduction features and chaff tray collection.

Posted January 25, 2011 link

Well, if you're talking about the HotTop, it roasts NOWHERE near 1 lb, and the preferred unit is $800.
The M1, or whatever it's called is also not practically a 1lb roaster, and while perhaps a bit more towards a professional sample roaster is NOT for everyone, as it has a much steeper learning curve. From the vids I've seen, and some commentary from, I believe Jim Schulman, it seems like it can do a very nice job.

The features you'd like (NetPhilospher) are those of a way more expensive roaster than the 1600, but i believe if anybody could do it, and do it fir a reasonable, maybe even a spectacular price would be Joe. Hanging out with him at SCAA 2 years ago, I can tell you what an intense and focused person Joe is, especially about his roaster, and his customers.
yes, I'm probably a bit biased, and have not used a Hottop (which I'm sure does an excellent job) but I have no reason to change. I've done over 400 roasts on my 1600.

BTW, I'm probably in the minority (hah, what's new...)but i actually like the countdown timer. To respond to a comment, I believe allowing a user to set a max time limit over Joe's set max time invites disaster...a possible...no make that PROBABLE fire by more than one user, especially at 500f temperature you propose. besides, anything over 18 minute roasts, IMO should be tossed.

However, I really feel you've described, for the most part a dream roaster, and if it could be done with a price point even $150-200 more than the current 1600 would be a tremendous achievement. I believe the current 1600 deserves kudo's.

Just my 2cents.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > .  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.390301942825)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+