Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Gene Cafe from Blue Bell Mountain?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Gene Cafe from...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Tue Jun 1, 2010, 6:28am
Subject: Gene Cafe from Blue Bell Mountain?

This company, located in El Salvador, and shipping through Spring Texas has been offering '30 day pre-order' units on eBait for several months now. My question is, has anyone bought and received one these? The savings is usually about 100 USD...Good idea, or not...
 View Profile Link to this post
robeech

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Elektra MCaL
Grinder: Anfim Super Caimano,...
Drip: Chemex, Bodum press
Roaster: Hottop-B
Posted Sun Jun 6, 2010, 11:40am
Subject: Re: Gene Cafe from Blue Bell Mountain?

Just saw your post. I wondered the same thing my self, but I won a Hottop B model off ebay from them for a little more than $100 below listing price. There is the 30 day shipping, and they are located in el salvador, so I was skeptical also. But I went for it, and supposedly my package will be shipped out mid june, so we'll see.  I will try and post an update later in the month. But I would be curious to hear of anyone else's experience.
RichC

Posted Mon Jun 7, 2010, 4:46pm

I bid and won a Cafe Gene from Blue Bell Mountain Coffee in November of 2009.
There was a problem with US inventory of the Gene Cafe's  during the holidays (read this
as Thanksgiving and Christmas).  I guess he had them dropped-shipped from his distributor
when someone had won a bid.  In my case, his distributor did not have any inventory, and did not
receive new inventory for almost 2.5 months.  BBM offered me my money back when it became apparent
they would not be able to fulfill my winning bid within 30 days of the winning auction.  
Since there was a US shortage, and my winning bid was the lowest price I could find, I decided to wait
for new inventory to arrive.

BBM sent me 10# of their green beans as a Thank You for my patience.  
They communicated with me often, and finally delivered on both the Gene and green beans after a
2.5 month wait.  The US inventory was not their problem, and they continued to offer auctions for Gene Cafe's
with new wording stating they be responsible to winning auction only if inventory became available within 30 days of the winning bid.  I thought they acted fair and responsible with me.  I would buy from them again.
I would just verify with them beforehand about their current supply of Gene's.  

I hope this helps.
TheMummaFamily

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Grimac Zola II 3 group &...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Pasquini H269
Vac Pot: We wish.  Aeropress though.
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Corretto=HG/BM
Posted Mon Jun 7, 2010, 5:47pm

A couple of years ago, I  talked back and forth a little bit with the owner of BBM and he was really nice.  I like him a lot, and though I have not done business with them, I would.   Don't know if that helps, but I personally like sellers that treat folks as people instead of just dollar signs.

"Three of the four elements are variable, but the fourth one has to be adaptable, knowledgeable and intuitive."  Mark Prince Click Here (www.coffeegeek.com)
robeech

Espresso: Elektra MCaL
Grinder: Anfim Super Caimano,...
Drip: Chemex, Bodum press
Roaster: Hottop-B
Posted Mon Jul 5, 2010, 2:12pm

Received my Hottop roaster from blue bell last week. Arrived new, and in amount of time promised. Good communication with seller throughout, and unit works great. Really pleased, no worries with that company.
Riprazor

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea, LaSpaziale S1,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini x 2
Drip: only when wet
Roaster: I-Roast
Posted Wed Jun 15, 2011, 5:32am

Gene is now the best deal I can find for green coffee on the internet.  I waited about 3 months for this seasons first batch and have ordered repeatedly since then and never had an issue.  He communicates well and is very reputable.  You just need to know when the crop is in and can be shipped.
swimjay

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Preciso, Orphan...
Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012, 10:55am

I was high bidder, on eBay, for a new Gene roaster from Blue Bell back in March.  Communicated with the owner, who always answered my questions quickly.  As I now piece it together, from what he's said, he ships the roasters in the containers full of coffee beans going to his American distributor (in Texas, I think?)  So shipping depends on harvest, when enough beans have accumulated to fill a container, etc. (These are my suppositions.)  In his most recent communication, Blue Bell tells me my roaster will be shipping on April 25.  This is about 38 days after the close of auction--it could have been more, or less, depending on where the close of auction fell relative to the container ship date.

The savings on the roaster were definitely worth whatever wait there will have been (assuming the roaster shows up :>)! ), and in the mean time I'm learning a lot from using my Air Crazy Pop Corn popper.  I've gotten some dismal, and some excellent, roasts with the Popper, with the balance shifting slowly toward the latter as time has passed.

Will keep you posted, and let you know when the roaster arrives.  Savings should be on the order of 40%.  I feel like I'll be better able to get better results from the Gene because of the time spent with the Popper, and may never give the Popper up completely.  (Currently use it with a glass chimney, constant agitation, and about 100 gr of beans at a time, aiming to end somewhere just, or well, depending on the bean, before second crack).
atalanta
atalanta

Espresso: Gaggia
Grinder: Braun burr grinder
Drip: Capresso Grind & Brew,...
Roaster: Fresh Roast
Posted Wed Jun 6, 2012, 8:33am

So, swimjay, has it arrived yet? Based on the posts here I bought a 40lb bag (one of their penny auctions back in May). Estimated arrival sometime in July. And a roaster, estimated sometime in August. I'm still going to keep my eye out for a roaster, if I can find the same or better deal I'll take advantage of it and then sell the one they're shipping when it arrives.
swimjay

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Preciso, Orphan...
Posted Thu Jun 7, 2012, 8:41pm

Atalanta--no roaster yet, though according to Blue Bell the container should be clearing customs any day now, with the roaster shipping soon after.  Have been told container was set to reach US May 22, should be clear of customs on or before June 10th, then shipped to me.  So, approaching 3 months from initial purchase date, but your interval may be shorter, as current harvests are being shipped now (I think).  Will post when I know more.
atalanta
atalanta

Espresso: Gaggia
Grinder: Braun burr grinder
Drip: Capresso Grind & Brew,...
Roaster: Fresh Roast
Posted Fri Jun 8, 2012, 9:03am

Thanks for the update.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Gene Cafe from...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.270370006561)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+