Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
How Many Lbs/Kgs Are in Your Cellar?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > How Many Lbs/Kgs...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
TheMummaFamily

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Grimac Zola II 3 group &...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Pasquini H269
Vac Pot: We wish.  Aeropress though.
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Corretto=HG/BM
Posted Sat Mar 27, 2010, 2:57pm
Subject: How Many Lbs/Kgs Are in Your Cellar?

So how many lbs of greens do you order at a time and how many lbs are in your cellar?  
What are some coffees that you are very happy are in the cellar?  Why?

"Three of the four elements are variable, but the fourth one has to be adaptable, knowledgeable and intuitive."  Mark Prince Click Here (www.coffeegeek.com)
 View Profile Link to this post
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Sat Mar 27, 2010, 4:23pm
Subject: Re: How Many Lbs/Kgs Are in Your Cellar?

Currently 60.5lbs.  But Im working on an order, so.. as always, more on the way.

When ordering greens, I usually order between 15-25pounds at a time, and then Ill also do orders for 10lbs of a specific coffee or two.

Beans Im quite interested/excited about:
-Brazil Morenihna Formosa Raisin ML- Heard a hell of a lot about this bean, and Im quite excited to roast it up.  Its on the schedule for next roast session.
-Ethiopia Gr. 3 DP Yirg-Had it for a little while now, and I love it.  Pretty clean, but lovely fruity-winey deliciousness
-Brazil Joao de Campo Yellow Catuai- This just looked amazing, had to have.  I love brazils
-Colombian Huila Monserate Excelso- The ideal crowd pleaser, good body, slight acidity.. solid "coffee" taste.. A bean Ive been wantin' for a while.
-Nicauragua Java Longberry-Haven't tried it yet, but it sounds quite awesome.

Then two beans IDK if I'll like, but are quite intriguing....

-Sumatra Lingtong PB Aged, 07- Beans look horrendous, but I have a feeling I'll like it, at the very least, in a blend of brazil/ethiopian
-Bali Kintamani- Never had a balinese coffee, but Ive read some good things.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Terry_L
Terry_L

Espresso: Gaggia Coffee
Grinder: MDF, Solis Scala 166
Vac Pot: French-Press(s)-Love 'em
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: SC/TO - Air Popper
Posted Sat Mar 27, 2010, 4:42pm

Little shy right now....about 15 lbs or so

~5 lbs Brazil Joao de Campos Yellow Catuai - (like Jman....love Brazils)
~5 lbs Sumatra Mandheling
~2 lbs SM's Classic Espresso blend
~1 lb  Guatemala Acatenenango -Finca La Soledad

then the inevitable odds and ends....you know, those couple of oz's of here and there's that I co-mingle and roast together for a "hair of the dog" french press batch.

Peace - Terry
wideasleep1
wideasleep1

Espresso: VBMDoubleDomo
Grinder: Mahlkoenig K30 Vario
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: Bodum Press
Roaster: IR1 and 2,SC/TO,Behmor
Posted Sat Mar 27, 2010, 5:00pm

Jmanespresso Said:

-Bali Kintamani- Never had a balinese coffee, but Ive read some good things.

Posted March 27, 2010 link

FWIW, I bought a half-pound of this, roasted by Bluebottle...it's a VERY interesting coffee, unusual flavors, so much so I had difficulty pulling it, feeling it wasn't really an 'espresso' SO, and would fare better as a french press. My palate, like yours I suspect, is into the Brazils, and other central americans, as well as Ethiopian and Sumatrans...this Bali will throw you for a loop! I'm not even quite sure how to describe it, it is that unique, and obviously a half-pound wasn't enough to form any solid judgement on whether I like it enough to pursue an SO spro pull on it. I wouldn't even know where to start roasting it..it looked City to FC to me, and was quite bright 4 days after BB roasted it.
Larryh86GT

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Drip: Mr Coffee
Roaster: 63RPM 5lb BBQ drum
Posted Sat Mar 27, 2010, 5:40pm

7 lbs Hula Daddy Kona
12 lbs Indonesia Sumatra
10 lbs Brazil Natural Cerrado
1 lb Colombian Supremo Huila
ljguitar
ljguitar

Espresso: Expobar Pulsar
Grinder: Mazzer SuperJolly • Baratza
Drip: Bunn • AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor•Variacs
Posted Sat Mar 27, 2010, 8:05pm

Oh great mumma & family...
We usually have between 50-65 pounds on hand in the garage. I get nervous when it drops below that level. We use a minimum of a couple pounds a week, and I cannot remember the last time any greens went into overtime in our garage.

I like to stock Liquid Amber, Monkey, Sulawese, Sumatra, Sidamo, Yemen, Yirg, Brazil, Java, Papua New Guinea, Timor (when I could get it), Kenya AA, Rwanda, Mexican, and Colombian.

I have them either because I’m using them to blend (blends we've enjoyed for years), or because we've liked them for drip. We use a touch more drip than espresso, so a good Colombian or Moka/Java bean blend we will keep 20# of 'parts' on hand. Everything else we order 5-10# at a shot...5# being the usual so we have opportunity to experiment with 'other' interesting looking/sounding beans.

If we find one we just cannot appreciate, but it lends itself to dark roasting, I have a friend who will take all the extra-flamed-beans I can provide him with. So for his b-day, Christmas, Easter, father's day, and any other excuse, he gets dark roasted coffee!

L  a  r  r  Y          J

<°)))><
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Sun Mar 28, 2010, 2:02pm

wideasleep1 Said:

FWIW, I bought a half-pound of this, roasted by Bluebottle...it's a VERY interesting coffee, unusual flavors, so much so I had difficulty pulling it, feeling it wasn't really an 'espresso' SO, and would fare better as a french press. My palate, like yours I suspect, is into the Brazils, and other central americans, as well as Ethiopian and Sumatrans...this Bali will throw you for a loop! I'm not even quite sure how to describe it, it is that unique, and obviously a half-pound wasn't enough to form any solid judgement on whether I like it enough to pursue an SO spro pull on it. I wouldn't even know where to start roasting it..it looked City to FC to me, and was quite bright 4 days after BB roasted it.

Seems we like similar coffees.. Brazil, Central, Ethiopian and Sumatra.. Couldn't have said it better myself!  Im actually a fan of the America's in general... Peru, Guats, El Salvs.. Some of my personal faves are in the Americas.  But, without a shred of doubt, Ethiopians are my favorite.  And honestly, most africans I really like, with the exception of Kenyas.. Its rare I find a Kenya I really enjoy, but when it comes along, its usually great.  And im wierd with Indo's.. Some I just adore, others, yuck.  And with the exception of Sumatras, I never know if I'll like it/hate it..(Sumatra's I really enjoy, full city, brewed)

The Bali I bought, I grabbed 2lbs.  But, I dont have any plans to use it for espresso.  That of course could change after I try it, but I planned on it being tried first as SO, and probably would do very well in a blend.   Espresso Roasting, I keep simple.  SO wise, its either Brazil, Yemen or Ethiopian, and m-a-y-b-e the occasional, simple, heavyily-braziled blend.  But I do like the Pre-Blends from SMs.. Monkey, MokaKadir.. and SOME of the Workshops.  Ophiolite and Basaltic Bourbon were ones I really liked, and Dextral Strike/Auripherous were good too.  But then they got too bright for a while, so I layed off.  But, #9 sounds like a real winner.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
iginfect
iginfect
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: vetrano
Grinder: versalab m3
Vac Pot: yama 5 cup
Drip: melior french press
Roaster: hot top kn-8828p
Posted Mon Mar 29, 2010, 4:08am

Generally I order 20# at a time to save on shipping from SM. About once every 2 years I order Kona direct from the farm, about 5#. There is a total of 45.5 lbs., 9# upstairs in cloth bags, and 39# frozen and vacuum sealed in the basement. Most of the upstairs was a recent purchase for the HB roasting contest and wasn't frozen in order to play with it. Ethiopian is my usual am brewed coffee and the rest is about 60% brasil and the rest central with a smattering of sumatra and african. Never more than 10% sumatran. The  Moreninha Formosa "Raisin" Coffee was fantastic, too bad I ordered only the 2# limit for the contest.
The freezer also has 1/2 a cow added every Oct so the coffee is scattered about in it and I have a worksheet where everything is. Grass fed, organic and raised up the road, as good as the coffee.

Marvin
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Mar 29, 2010, 4:34am

TheMummaFamily Said:

So how many lbs of greens do you order at a time and how many lbs are in your cellar?  
What are some coffees that you are very happy are in the cellar?  Why?

I have been resisting asnwering this because I know I have too much green coffee already.....

But I checked yesterday and it looks like I have under 70 pounds total right now.  I roast 5-6 pounds per week so to me that is a good amount to have on hand, albiet still a bit over the top.  

I generally order 10-20 pounds at a time, most often in 5 pound bags through the Green Coffee COOP or Green Coffee Buying Club.  And most of my favorites on hand came from GCC or GCBC.  I have some COE coffees from El Salvador, Guatemala and Colombia that are all outstanding, plus of course the Brasil Morenheina Formosa is my staple for espresso base (and makes a nice creamy SO as well).  

It's part of the experience for me to keep a nice variety of roasted coffees on hand all the time (if I can).  We brew French Press coffee in the office all day long so I have plenty of opportunity to try them all.  And at home I keep separately-roasted components for espresso blends so I experiment with SO's and different combinations.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
s0ckeyeus

Posted Mon Mar 29, 2010, 7:36am

This year so far I've only ordered 13lbs of coffee.  I still have about half of that.  My wife and I only drink one cup each on most weekdays, two cups on Fridays, weekends and holidays.  My dog doesn't drink coffee.  My coffee cellar in my closet.  Most of the green coffee is in muslin bags I hand stitched.

"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons" - T.S. Eliot
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > How Many Lbs/Kgs...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.328434944153)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+