Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Question(s) on Toper Cafemino 1KG Roaster & Diedrich IR-1
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Question(s) on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 19 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jan 15, 2010, 6:42am
Subject: Re: Question(s) on Toper Cafemino 1KG Roaster & Diedrich IR-1

Breeze Said:

Diedrich is positioned as a "Premium" product while I guess Toper is "Turkish Industrial"  so I imagine the Diedrich remains priced well above the Toper.

Posted January 15, 2010 link

In fairness though the Topers Turkish Industrial is "built like a tank" and can be run for hours and hours per day every day. So it might be slightly rough in terms of finish, but tough as old boots....or at least mine was.
 View Profile Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Fri Jan 15, 2010, 9:01am

The Cafemino is $5800 but they are offering an 09 for $5300, that offer is about to be gone and I am not ready to pull the trigger. The Diedrich Ir-1 is $6500 so $700 difference between the two, if the IR-1 is more capable of doing small batch sizes for micro lots then it is a no brainer but I will just have to wait until someone actually has an IR-1 for the facts. Cafemino is $450 shipping, I don't know about the IR-1 since it isn't shipping yet.

I think both of these machines build quality can be considered excellent so it is a matter of which one can satisfy my home use needs and grow with me. I don't expect I will be pushing the machine anywhere near what it is capable of but it is nice to know either will be up for the task if needed.
Clay34

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: N/A - 3 Bodum presses
Drip: Bunn VPR APS
Roaster: bread machine, Corretto...
Posted Fri Jan 15, 2010, 9:30am

What the retail on an IR-3?  If you are going to spend that much might as well buy a machine that will satisfy the needs of a shop.  Make it a business, of course show a loss, but start to ask around the local area for possible customers.  

If you are going to spend $6500 then $8K and a business write off vs just a home roaster might be pretty equivalent.  If you pick up a couple of local coffee shops or even a couple of restaurants that you supply with coffee a 3 kg roaster might be a better investment than a one kg roaster.  Just throwing ideas out there with the goal of totally confusing your life.  HA

Good luck whatever you decide.

If the business deal doesn't go through I am sure there will be a market for a lightly used IR-3.  

Rick
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Fri Jan 15, 2010, 11:33am

Clay34 Said:

What the retail on an IR-3?  If you are going to spend that much might as well buy a machine that will satisfy the needs of a shop.  Make it a business, of course show a loss, but start to ask around the local area for possible customers.  

If you are going to spend $6500 then $8K and a business write off vs just a home roaster might be pretty equivalent.  If you pick up a couple of local coffee shops or even a couple of restaurants that you supply with coffee a 3 kg roaster might be a better investment than a one kg roaster.  Just throwing ideas out there with the goal of totally confusing your life.  HA

Good luck whatever you decide.

If the business deal doesn't go through I am sure there will be a market for a lightly used IR-3.  

Rick

Eventually I will get a much bigger roaster then a 3kg but for now I have a son on the way, a 2+ year old I am raising now and a new home still to find. Around Philadelphia there are many large or warehouse spaces for rent that are very cheap but are not places I want to be spending time after dark or have my kids hanging out in. I want a small enough roaster to develop profiles and blends on in my home (homework, lol) I can then translate to a larger machine in the future. There is so much more for me to learn about roasting and even though the Hottop B with 150-175g batch sizes is allowing me to dial beans in it is just to much time a week to get 5lbs done. I will most defiantly be roasting more then 5lbs a week with a 1kg roaster for friends and to send out for opinions on how to improve. I also plan doing some courses to advance my knowledge, I really don't want to put a product out there unless I know what I am producing is top notch.  I have 3 years before I will make the next leap which gives me plenty of time to get confident with what I can produce and let's all hope by then the economy will be back on tract to go with the growing demand for great roasted coffee. There is the what if factor as well, what if starting a roasting business is not in the cards in 3 years? A 1kg roaster will still be very useful for my coffee needs and my friends and family as well for less then $15 a pound shipped to their door.

That's my story and I am sticking to it, until I change my mind. :)

Edit to add:
There was a long time ago I was shocked at the cost of one of these roasters but that wore off after I bought an espresso machine and grinder. I have been saving up for a year now and didn't spend a dime on R/C racing toys this year so I am in good shape to make this happen.
SmokeSwirl

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Jan 15, 2010, 12:54pm

Hey Rob.  IT's WIlson.  Glad to see you getting serious about roasting.  Hope things are well.

danetrainer

Espresso: GS3MP, CC1
Grinder: M7k, SJ, T80, KF804
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever
Roaster: Ambex YM2, Behmor
Posted Fri Jan 15, 2010, 1:39pm

I bought a YM2 this year after looking at all the options, I was concerned about how small a batch I could roast in it and now looking back found it to be a moot point (for me anyway). You will find yourself roasting larger amounts than you anticipated for your general use...just because you can! I can roast 1/2 lb in my 2kg roaster if necessary, and with both the models you are interested in, you will not find any significant difference. (again, MHO).

The Cafemino is $5800 but they are offering an 09 for $5300, that offer is about to be gone and I am not ready to pull the trigger. The Diedrich Ir-1 is $6500 so $700 difference between the two, if the IR-1 is more capable of doing small batch sizes for micro lots then it is a no brainer but I will just have to wait until someone actually has an IR-1 for the facts. Cafemino is $450 shipping, I don't know about the IR-1 since it isn't shipping yet.

I would be all over that 09 for $5300...shipping will not vary much at all between your two choices. The IR3 is $10k in either the table top or floor standing model. I have used an electric model Diedrich HR1 (1lb) roaster extensively and other than the slow response due to it being electric, it is a fantastic roaster. At coffeefest Seattle this fall I looked closely at both the Toper, and spoke with the Diedrich rep about their upcoming Ir1.
Diedrich has their focus on their "bread & butter" large shop roasters, so it may still be some time before actual production Ir1's will be shipping, but you can be assured it will be well designed and built. The Toper is a fantastic looking roaster, obviously well built, and does a great job. You will be happy with either I am sure.
If you wait on the Diedrich...price could also change too, as production finally swings into gear (think higher).
Breeze
Breeze
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Pasquini Livia S
Grinder: Mazzer Mini/Rocky
Drip: TechniVorm/Krups MB
Roaster: Toper 1 kilo
Posted Sat Jan 16, 2010, 6:03am

DavecUK Said:

In fairness though the Topers Turkish Industrial is "built like a tank" and can be run for hours and hours per day every day. So it might be slightly rough in terms of finish, but tough as old boots....or at least mine was.

I completely agree.  "Turkish Industrial" was intended as a compliment to the robust fabrication this machine represents.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Sat Jan 16, 2010, 10:06am

SmokeSwirl Said:

Hey Rob.  IT's WIlson.  Glad to see you getting serious about roasting.  Hope things are well.

Hey Wilson, you should come on by for an espresso and to catch up.
SmokeSwirl

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Jan 17, 2010, 8:24pm

Im back in NY but if I am ever in the area Ill let you know.  How's your daughter?  SHe must be runnin you ragged.

germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Mon Jan 18, 2010, 2:23pm

SmokeSwirl Said:

Im back in NY but if I am ever in the area Ill let you know.  How's your daughter?  SHe must be runnin you ragged.

Posted January 17, 2010 link

She sure is and we have a boy due in April.
showing page 2 of 19 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Question(s) on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.347712993622)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+