Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Fresh Roast SR300 SR500 ...Did anyone buy one?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Fresh Roast...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JKalpin
JKalpin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Mar 19, 2010, 4:52am
Subject: Re: Fresh Roast SR300 SR500 ...Did anyone buy one?

redleader Said:

Mine came from greenbeanery, great place to get beans and gear around here.  I'm a tad confused on the measurement, do you mean the depth of the bean chamber? Top of the glass bit to the bottom of the screen?

Posted March 19, 2010 link

No.  If you drilled a hole in the top center of the cover, to stick a probe down into the bean mass, eventually that probe would contact the screen at the bottom of the roast chamber.  What is that distance?  I know you will have to do some estimating.  +/- a couple of cm would be good enough.

Jerry
 View Profile Link to this post
Frogman

Espresso: Bialetti Brikka
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Kitchen Aid
Roaster: FreshRoast Plus 8 & 500
Posted Wed Mar 24, 2010, 11:56am

am still  learning this thing
getting to like it more but not producing roasts that equal the 8
but that may be the beans themselves
i got the espresso sampler from sm which is only $20 for 8 pounds
hard to pass up, not my usual espresso blend
have been trying to run a 2 minute cycle on low with fan on high to dry the beans out to straw color
then i switch off and switch on for full cycle
this works well
the timing setup on the 500 is not good
you can't preset a time, you have to start a roast and then bump up in increments of 10 seconds, it's clunky as you cut the power on each bump
much easier to start a 5.9 minutes cycle and then let it run right down and then switch off and then on again for a new cycle
so if you are obsessive about roasting profiles this is not the machine for you
however, you do get very nice control over the fan and the temperature so, if you have good power, and you learn the fan and the temp setting you could probably produce some very nice profiles
i personally am not that interested in that level of precision
i keep charging at 100
sweet maria recommends 90
but i get 60 on my 8, why would i spend the money to add only 30 ?
i wanted the full 120
and i think that might actually be part of the problem
i think i might actually need the full 120 to get a mass that heats up well enough
i get first crack at about 3 and second at about 8
sm recommends low heat and high fan and only 90 g
that just doesn't seem to work for me
i think my line voltage is good because the 8 on the same outlet is doing fine
i don't have a regulator or thermocouple or any other equipment
the design seems clunky on this thing but i am warming up to it a bit
kind of wish i just bought another 8 so i could run 2 8's at the same time
AndyPanda
AndyPanda

Espresso: Olympia Cremina, Various...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato,...
Vac Pot: vintage Corey
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: BreadMachine/HeatGun
Posted Mon Jul 19, 2010, 6:36pm

I'm new here - not sure if it's cool to reply to a thread this old (four months since last post) but the thread seems right on target for my questions/comments.

So .. I'm just getting started with home roasting - read a lot online and was all ready to try and find a poppery - but ended up buying an SR300 and 8lb espresso sampler from SM.  

I've been trying various techniques - but so far everything I've roasted has tasted pretty grassy.  The best results I've have so far have been the following technique but it still isn't right yet:

I start with about 90 grams and for the first 3-4 minutes I stir the beans and also cycle the cooling for a few seconds every 20 seconds of heat (trying to keep the heat around 250-275F range - no heat or fan control on the SR300 so I cycle between cooling and heating).  I think having the top off - to stir - also helps keep the heat lower and help the agitation as the top seems to slow down the air flow a little. This gets me a pretty even beginning and lightens up the beans to where they aggitate pretty well without any more stirring.  So I put the top back on and let it run to 1C then start watching closely.  

I've tried various times of continued roasting after 1C - I'm not sure I can "hear" 2C but I can see that a few beans do open up more (and occasionally explode a small piece off the outside) so I believe this is 2C happening but it doesn't seem to get more than a few of the beans.

I still find that I have to roast them pretty dark before the grassy taste starts to go away - but they don't look nearly as dark on the outside if I do the slow stirring warmup (if I just turn it on and let it go, I'll get 1C about 3 minutes and the beans will still taste grassy even though they get so dark they look like french roast on the outside) - I just think the roaster is toasting the ouside way too fast and not getting the heat into the center of the bean.

I'm also worried that I may be baking the beans now - I notice that my roasted beans are pretty hard compared to store bought (Peet's) beans. Peet's beans are light and crunchy (like rice crispies almost) while my beans take a fair bit of pressure to get them to crunch.

Anyway --- that's been my experience with it so far.  I've roasted maybe 3 pounds so far and I keep trying different methods and keep notes so if something works I'll be able to remember what I did.  

Would appreciate any tips from anyone getting good results with the SR300.
JKalpin
JKalpin

Posted Tue Jul 20, 2010, 4:29am

Just to be clear on roasting with the top off:  What happens is that you get MORE air flow and are able to stir to improve the agitation.  But if the heat input is the same, you get lower temperature air at this higher flow.

But as the roast progresses, the beans lose moisture and get lighter.  So you can put the top back on and still get adequate agitation by air-flow (and get higher air temperature).

And, the more beans you have in the charge, the lower the air flow and the higher the roasting temperature.  So you do actually have a way of increasing the roasting temp:  Roast more beans.  You should aim for a charge size that gives you adequate agitation (after the first 3 minutes).

The first crack (1CR) is sharp and easy to hear, just like corn popping.  The second crack (2CR) is more subtle and is like tiny crackles.

What are your times, to the 1CR and then to the 2CR?

Jerry
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Tue Jul 20, 2010, 6:23am

pallen Said:

>snip< For $160 (almost half the cost of a Behmor) you can have fresh roasted coffee at home. Even with the variations in roast degree, you are going to have good coffee. The base model is only $109. For the price, it looks pretty good to me. Its hard to say though without trying it myself.

Posted January 15, 2010 link

...and for 140 USD you can get one with an auger and a smoke eater....add another 200USD for a Kill-A-Watt, a MBT probe,  and a Variac and you have a roaster that actually works. Furthermore, unlike the Behmor, you can see what's going on...you pays your money and you takes your choice....

oldgearhead: RoasterStation2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
JKalpin
JKalpin

Posted Tue Jul 20, 2010, 6:31am

Off topic ...but what's that 'thing' plugged into the inputs of your Fluke multimeter that lets you read thermocouples?

Jerry
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Wed Jul 21, 2010, 12:46pm

JKalpin Said:

Off topic ...but what's that 'thing' plugged into the inputs of your Fluke multimeter that lets you read thermocouples?

Posted July 20, 2010 link

Its a Fluke 80TK, thermocouple reading module..
AndyPanda
AndyPanda

Espresso: Olympia Cremina, Various...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato,...
Vac Pot: vintage Corey
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: BreadMachine/HeatGun
Posted Thu Jul 22, 2010, 4:01pm

OK ... I've solved the problem with the help of the good people that make the FreshRoast SR300.  I called them and they explained something to me that I wouldn't have thought of.

I have been doing the method that Sweet Maria's suggests on their YouTube video.  I leave the top off for the first 2 minutes and either stir the beans or take the container off and shake it every so often (or a combination of both stirring and shaking).    And I get to first crack when I expect to - but it just wouldn't get any hotter or get to second crack (except with a few really easy beans - but the harder blends just wouldn't get dark and tasted awful).

They told me that when you run it with the top off you get chaff sucked into the air intake in such a way that it causes the thermostat to keep cycling the heat off (and that would explain why I was seeing the timer readout get brighter and dimmer - cycling the heat on and off when I was trying to get to second crack).

I took the glass container off and rolled up a newspaper  (they suggested an air compressor but I don't have one) and fit it snug in the top of the roaster where the glass cannister should go - then I blew really hard back through the roaster and tons of chaff shot out the bottom of the roaster.  I did this several times until no more chaff came out.

Did a couple of roasts and got to second crack and a beautiful dark roast.

SO DON"T ROAST WITH THE TOP OFF  -- instead use the suggestion of running it for a minute at the beginning and then cycling the cooling for bit to get the moisture out of the beans and then restart the roasting - all of that with the top in place.
bloozman

Posted Sat May 7, 2011, 5:38am

I received one as a gift last year and we really like it. I disagree with the video on Sweet Maria's as there has never been an inadequate flow of air and the batch roasts evenly every time. Up until I dropped the glass carafe last night! and they are back ordered on this item at the place I bought the original unit. Must be a lot of people dropping them
zane9

Posted Sat May 21, 2011, 8:16am

Nice to see that this thread is still alive!

I'm pleased with the SR500. I get consistent results from roast to roast. I use 4 scant measures of beans from the supplied measurer. I do push the timer to a total of 9.9 (rather than using the default 5.9). I allow the first few minutes to run at a low heat/high fan combo, which gives overall colour and good circulation to the beans. I slowly lower the fan speed and increase the heat, and first crack kicks in around minute 4.5. From that point it's a matter of preference. I play with the settings until I have the desired roast profile. We like a roast on the darker side, and trick is to ensure thorough roasting without scorching.

I've not messed around with any enhanced stirring techniques described in this thread.

For cleanup, I use a 1" paint brush to ensure the chaff is swept out completely. Every few weeks I'll use some compressed air to make sure chaff isn't lurking anywhere.
showing page 5 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Fresh Roast...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.350858926773)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+