Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Interesting thermocouple readings in modified Poppery
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Interesting...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sat Oct 3, 2009, 8:27pm
Subject: Re: Interesting thermocouple readings in modified Poppery

OK - I just went in with a probe to see what the differences around the various vanes were. No bean load, heater running full bore.

WOW! There is a great deal of variation. Even going just a few vane openings one way or another results in a 10-20 drop in the temperature of the air entering the chamber. I found the hottest vane entrances and will place the ET probe there.

Thanks Gary.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
wideasleep1
wideasleep1

Espresso: VBMDoubleDomo
Grinder: Mahlkoenig K30 Vario
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: Bodum Press
Roaster: IR1 and 2,SC/TO,Behmor
Posted Sat Oct 3, 2009, 8:29pm

Related reading where Terry mentions 'kinetic' energy (my 'mass intertia') towards first crack and end of roast.
http://www.ambexroasters.com/pages/articles/articles.html
I like his concept of Total Energy (from roomtemp green to roomtemp-cooled roasted) for a given profile, and where roasters can control these parameters. :)
 View Profile Link to this post
Frost
Frost
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Sat Oct 3, 2009, 8:39pm

I believe I have observed some 'reactive' effects of the beans during roasting, but they are much more subtle and  I think the high air flow of the popper swamps these subtle effects (tend to see it more at lower air flows)

One is during drying, when the 'vapor phase' of evaporating free moisture; there is a dip in bean rate of rise for the same ET-BT margin. (When BT is from 260-290F)

The other is the 'exothermic' response during first crack. I generally hold a constant ET through first crack (usually between 450-460F ET) As first crack is finishing up, there will be a sudden rise in BT of around 5F.
This will tend to be more pronounced if the first crack is aggressive than if it is slow and drawn out in duration.
wideasleep1
wideasleep1

Espresso: VBMDoubleDomo
Grinder: Mahlkoenig K30 Vario
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: Bodum Press
Roaster: IR1 and 2,SC/TO,Behmor
Posted Sat Oct 3, 2009, 8:49pm

I was just reading the related PID article, and happened to notice Kathi's Graph 4 (PID fine-tuned, to where she achieved a near-perfect profile for a 1# batch in a 15 kilo roaster!) also shows this crossover point:
Click Here (www.ambexroasters.com)
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Posted Sat Oct 3, 2009, 8:55pm

Nice article by Terry.

For posterity and FYI, on my roaster (not sure if it will vary) the hottest vane entrances were at about the 7:30 position (if when looking down on the roaster the cord entrance is at 12:00).

dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Posted Sun Oct 11, 2009, 12:46pm

Update:

I installed the new probe at the hottest vanes, and it made a big difference. The environment temperature thermocouple now reliably exceeds the bean mass thermocouple by 90-120 degrees. It seems to really measure maximum environmental temperature. It starts out about 110 above, then reduces to about 90 just prior to first crack, and then post-first crack it exceeds by about 120.

If I heeded Gary Frost's advice way back when - I could have avoided the confusion!

The difference between BT and ET seems pretty extreme, but it is predictable and seems much more realistic than the weird crossover from the cooler temp probe.

If I were to do it again, I might try finding a vane that is about an average of the maximum and minimum temperatures around the chamber. And, I just might! :) :) I considered Gary's solution of a steel mesh bottom "air mixing chamber" where the TC would be mounted, but I do not like the idea of a disruption of the rotation of the beans he mentioned.

showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Interesting...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.247007131577)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+