Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Gene Cafe Owners - Do You Love Your Gene Cafe?
"My First Crack"
"Ask Me About My First Crack."  Tee Shirts in Black, White, or Grey.
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Gene Cafe Owners...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
PaulR

Expertise: Professional

Posted Mon Aug 11, 2008, 11:18pm
Subject: Re: Gene Cafe Owners - Do You Love Your Gene Cafe?

Another tick here for the Love Gene column.

Its a great roaster and really allows you to learn quiet quickly the stages of roasting as your roast roasts.
Very intuitive controls and an easy to comprehend manual.

A truly great machine.
 View Profile Link to this post
Dmorcos
Dmorcos
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Bodum Columbia- Royal...
Roaster: Hottop, GC, Behmor, FR8
Posted Tue Aug 12, 2008, 1:05pm

I have also been using one for over 2 years, I guess I was one of the first buyers once it was available in the US.

I do roast back to back and have done over 350 lbs since I got it. Yes I drink a lot of coffee and so does my lady.

I must say that 3 months after the purchase I had a temp sensor fail in the first machine. A replacement was sent and it has been flawless since.
EddieDove
EddieDove
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Carezza
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Dienes
Vac Pot: Yama w/ Cory Glass Rod,...
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex, Bodum...
Roaster: RKDrum, Behmor, Gene Cafe,...
Posted Wed Aug 13, 2008, 6:56pm

Judge Said:

Funny you should ask.

Well Eddie it was your web site and your information that led me to purchase this unit.  I have not kept track of just how much coffee I have roasted with it but it has been one heck of a lot.  And well,  it's just tick, tock, tick.................  Coffee the way it should be.

Thank you for leading me to such a wonderful machine.

Posted August 8, 2008 link

John,

Thank you so much for the kind words!  It is greatly appreciated!

Since my original post, my Gene Cafe has roasted just shy of 225 pounds of coffee in 426 roasts and most of that was in an 8 month period.  Once upon a time it roasted 18 hours straight for Christmas presents.  For an "off the shelf" roaster, I believe the Gene Cafe to be one of the best, and certainly one of the best for learning to roast and having control over the roast.  This is one reason why it still maintains a prominent place in my arsenal of roasters.

In the USA (I don't know about the other places around the world), the Gene Cafe also has excellent support by a really great guy named Tim Skaling.  At times he is swamped with work, but he really cares about his customers and takes care of them; all I've ever had to do is call him.

It is really good to read all of the positive posts about the Gene Cafe!  Keep 'em comin'!

Respectfully,

Eddie Dove (a.k.a. eodove)
Vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://www.southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
sjb

Espresso: sylvia
Grinder: virtuoso
Roaster: gene cafe
Posted Sat Aug 8, 2009, 1:40pm

i've had mine since november, roasting about a pound/week, generally 200 grams/ batch. my heater went recently but Tim replaced it under warranty so i am good to go.
what do i like: i like that it is so thoroughly manual, which allows me to feel close to the roasting process. its a look, listen, and smell process that never ceases to be fun. i also find the batch size perfect for me. i graduated to the gc from a fresh roast, which is still my backup, but its batch size means roasting everyday, a bit much. at two years it will have paid for itself so that is my hoped for longevity.
I would also thank Eddie for the advice on his site and his generosity with profiles and results.
DavecUK

Posted Sat Aug 8, 2009, 3:17pm

My Gene is now 2.5 years old, roasted around 140kg, still going strong. It in fact looks pretty much the same as a 2 month old unit. I clean the chamber, split chaff collector and clean and vacuum brush the gauze below, once every 9 months (I don't roast indoors, hence no lint build up. I changed the heating element as part of the dimmer control modifications (stage 1 and 2) last November time. The existing 240V UK element was still fine after more than 18 months of use. I replaced it with a 230V element as part of the modification strategy. If you are a Gene owner I think these modifications should be of interest and I would never go back to the old way of roasting!

Click Here (coffeetime.wikidot.com)

If you fully modify it, in essence you get a fully controllable roaster, for rate and ramp as well as temperature without any on/off switching of the element. The need for a Variac (ever) is nullified in the UK/Europe and I think the same could be true for the US, because I notice a 100V option on the Korea website, which must mean 100V heating elements are available. The heating element should also last MUCH longer. You will then see the whites of their eyes in a darkish roast ;-)

• I suspect in the US the problem with what appears to be early heating element failure...is the Gene is simply drawing too much power from time to time, signs of this are:
  • "Element Switching" (before preset temp reached, you'll hear a tick), this will be the overheat sensor at the exist of the heater box switching off the element.

More than 1230W consumption when running (most of the time I can roast at 1180W and in very very cold weather I only need 1220W. Obviously in colder weather you can draw more power, because the heating element is kept cooler.

Unfortunately with very little information or discussion from the US side, it's simply a guess until someone posts some typical consumption figures and starts watching to see if they are getting "element switching"
framer

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 Pid
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky DL
Roaster: GeneCafe
Posted Fri Aug 14, 2009, 2:48pm

I have mine for about 1 month. It is really good (i have been popcorning so far).
Mine is at celcium . I usually preheat then emergency stop to fill the beans
4 mins to half heat then i raise to max heat until the first crack

After first crack i usually give 2 to 3 mins for the roast to complete ,ending at emergency stop again and cooling it using a large fan i have . (it takes about 40-50 sec to room temp)

So far i got positive thoughts on the machine
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Gene Cafe Owners...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.279849052429)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+