Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
How a home roaster cannot compare to a high tech commericial roaster
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > How a home...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
wideasleep1
wideasleep1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: VBMDoubleDomo
Grinder: Mahlkoenig K30 Vario
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: Bodum Press
Roaster: IR1 and 2,SC/TO,Behmor
Posted Fri Jun 12, 2009, 9:39am
Subject: Re: How a home roaster cannot compare to a high tech commericial roaster

]

espressoaddict Said:

Click Here (www.youtube.com)

Unless, there is some roaster out there that can perform to a smaller scale, please enlighten us or show us a way to do so.

Posted June 7, 2009 link

While it does seem to be a trollish question in a home roaster's forum, I hope you can now realise that home roasters can indeed perform better, on a smaller scale, to their own needs and palates. If this were not the case, there would be no desire for home roasting, and we would share your opinion. Lastly, please do not refer to us as fueling ignorance...almost all of us have been in your shoes and chose our path, and you have not yet been in ours, so the charge is ridiculous on it's face....glass houses they say. It's never too late to discover what you may be missing, if your mind is open to infinite possibilities...go get yourself a roaster and some greens, and answer your opinions for yourself. :)
 View Profile Link to this post
harrymanback
harrymanback

Espresso: expobar brewtus ii
Grinder: la cimbali md6, baratza...
Drip: nah...bodum press(es)
Roaster: modded wear•ever popcorn...
Posted Fri Jun 12, 2009, 2:23pm
Subject: re: how a home roaster cannot compare to a high tech commercial roaster

in short: in terms of potential, yes a home roaster is a 9 and a commercial is a 10.  in practice, as a home roaster, i always hit a 9, and even my favorite commercial roasters don't always hit a 10, let alone a 9.  similarly, their associated cafés vary b/w 7's and 10's.

the longer version: i've been home roasting for about 2 years, and before that i sampled several different roasters at home for about 6 months or a year (drinking coffee strictly in cafés for 3 years prior).  what i've found over this time period is that occasionally, i roast the exact same bean better than my favorite professional roasters.  however, i do concede that a more expensive roasting machine, a more experienced professional roaster (read as person), and more expensive grinders / brewing machines are potentially better than what i have at home.  however, generally speaking, it is my experience that my home roasted café produces more consistent results than a rotating staff at top notch shop, or even professional roasts ground and brewed at home.

so i have to disagree with the original poster: at 1/3 to 1/2 the cost, i prefer my everyday 9's .  i still enjoy coffee outings -- the community aspect is fun, as is rolling the dice and occasionally getting 10's -- but 99% of what i drink is my stuff prepared by me.  besides, inviting friends / family over can recreate some of the community experience found in a shop.

harry.

"i should pull up the hardwood to see if there's carpet underneath! . . . no, that's never the case."
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
espressoaddict

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 (Primary)...
Grinder: Baratza Vario 2009 and...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Melitta Single Cup, Bodum...
Posted Fri Jun 12, 2009, 3:23pm
Subject: Re: how a home roaster cannot compare to a high tech commercial roaster

harrymanback Said:

in short: in terms of potential, yes a home roaster is a 9 and a commercial is a 10.  in practice, as a home roaster, i always hit a 9, and even my favorite commercial roasters don't always hit a 10, let alone a 9.  similarly, their associated cafés vary b/w 7's and 10's.

the longer version: i've been home roasting for about 2 years, and before that i sampled several different roasters at home for about 6 months or a year (drinking coffee strictly in cafés for 3 years prior).  what i've found over this time period is that occasionally, i roast the exact same bean better than my favorite professional roasters.  however, i do concede that a more expensive roasting machine, a more experienced professional roaster (read as person), and more expensive grinders / brewing machines are potentially better than what i have at home.  however, generally speaking, it is my experience that my home roasted café produces more consistent results than a rotating staff at top notch shop, or even professional roasts ground and brewed at home.
harry.

Posted June 12, 2009 link

Awesome Harry, that's very valuable to hear.  It seems like the Behemor 1600 is one that I will probably get once I get started.  I like the small size and it seems to have all the bells and whistles needed one would expect from a good roaster.  It also fits perfectly and a complement to existing appliances in the kitchen.  Looks like convention or microwave oven, and very modern indeed. The website reports the quality of this machine nearly rivals their commercial one.  However, that could be a marketing tactic.  Listening to what all have to say here is very valuable info for the newbies.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Fri Jun 12, 2009, 3:55pm
Subject: Re: how a home roaster cannot compare to a high tech commercial roaster

espressoaddict Said:

Awesome Harry, that's very valuable to hear.  It seems like the Behemor 1600 is one that I will probably get once I get started.  I like the small size and it seems to have all the bells and whistles needed one would expect from a good roaster.  It also fits perfectly and a complement to existing appliances in the kitchen.  Looks like convention or microwave oven, and very modern indeed. The website reports the quality of this machine nearly rivals their commercial one.  However, that could be a marketing tactic.  Listening to what all have to say here is very valuable info for the newbies.

There is plenty to read around here about the Behmor. If you have questions about it that you can't find in the many threads I would think the owner and creator would gladly answer them for you, he is one of the first few people to respond to Behmor questions around here, and other good advice as well.

Seems that this thread has brought you around to the home roast corner, I must admit I didn't think you would swing this way and where really just trolling. I am glad I was wrong!
benm5678
benm5678
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Jun 12, 2009, 5:56pm

espressoaddict -

i had the same concern as u.   highly debated if i wanted to spend $$+time on home roasting, and end up frustrated with poorer results than a good commercial roaster.

ended up 'ordering' the Behmor 5 weeks ago for my b-day, and i can tell u i was very surprised at how *easy* and *quick* it was to learn and get great consistent roasts with it with minimal time investment.  i take it to FC+ in my house... barely visible smoke in the last few min of roast.   what took the most time in these weeks is figuring out which of the SweetMaria's offerings i liked best....  but i found for the same bean-type/quantity, the machine is very consistent.   it'll just take me very little time a week now to roast my pound of Ethiopian IMV... and in those 12 min, just in the last part i need to be really close by to listen for 2nd crack and press 'cool' (i'm always in the room).

I think the 'freshness' advantage mentioned in home-roasting isn't really applicable to a lot, since u can easily find internet based roasters that deliver 2-day old roasted coffee.... and still, usually needs to degas another day or so.  BUT, it is cool that i can buy 20lb at a time now & save shipping (and of course green's cheaper), store at home, and roast as needed....  having control over a lot more variables and bean choice/blend is fun & another major advantage, but can do so when free time is available.

i hope if u try it, u'll enjoy and have as much luck!
MGLloyd

Espresso: Livia 90 semi
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Drip: Capresso MT 500
Roaster: Behmor and HG/DB
Posted Fri Jun 12, 2009, 10:00pm

I look at the convenience not having to roast beans having an already busy life style.  I'll spend that doing other important things.

So I would guess that you eat all of your meals out and do not cook at home.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Mill Creek, Washington  USA
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Breeze
Breeze
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Pasquini Livia S
Grinder: Mazzer Mini/Rocky
Drip: TechniVorm/Krups MB
Roaster: Toper 1 kilo
Posted Sat Jun 13, 2009, 3:18am
Subject: Re: How a home roaster unit may not compare to a high tech commericial roaster

espressoaddict Said:

Look at Breeze's reply he was able to provide a very good explanation.  

My comment only made sense in responding to someone interested in home roasting.  As you are not, as evidenced by a later post, I'm now sporting question marks over the whole topic.   Boing!
espressoaddict

Posted Sat Jun 13, 2009, 12:02pm

MGLloyd Said:

So I would guess that you eat all of your meals out and do not cook at home.

Guess all you want.  Open a different thread on this question.

MGLloyd Said:

I ride right past Velton Coffee every work day on my way to work in downtown Everett.  He is in the basement of the old Lowell elementary school.  Having roasted my own for about ten years now, I am confidently say that no one roasts to my tastes better than myself.  Perhaps if the OP were to begin home roasting himself, he will be pleasantly surprised by the quality, freshness and cost savings.  But then again, I am one of those people that if I can do something better myself, I am reluctant to pay someone else to do it for me.  I am sure that Velton can roast 25 pound batch quantities quicker than I can, but I am not sure he can produce better coffee than I, who has the luxury of doing this as a hobby, not a business.

Posted June 7, 2009 link

Since Velton sells green beans.  Why not give us your own analysis and see how your roaster will compare with his roast.  Basically, buy some of his roasted beans and then buy the same green beans and roast it on your setup.  Pull some shots using his roasted vs Velton's green beans roasted using your roaster.  Then let us know the results.  That would be great if your roasts are the same, or how knows surprisingly better.
espressoaddict

Posted Sat Jun 13, 2009, 12:23pm
Subject: Re: How a home roaster unit may not compare to a high tech commericial roaster

Breeze Said:

My comment only made sense in responding to someone interested in home roasting.  As you are not, as evidenced by a later post, I'm now sporting question marks over the whole topic.   Boing!

Posted June 13, 2009 link

Explains why some people are not judges.

I found this link provide a more thorough job in describing some limits a home roasting setup vs a commercial setup. However, the home roaster can achieve commercial results with practice and experience.  There is even a book titled Home Coffee Roasting by Davids Kenneth.  Great primer!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_roasting_coffee
Ian
Ian

Espresso: Euro2000,Rancilio
Grinder: Mazzer,La Cimbali
Vac Pot: Cona-->CraigA
Drip: Belgique for emergencies
Roaster: Primas with variac
Posted Sun Jun 14, 2009, 2:36am
Subject: Re: How a home roaster cannot compare to a high tech commericial roaster

I've had to delete a couple of silly posts and issue a couple of chills. Please keep things on topic and civil to avoid this interesting thread from being shut down.

Cheers

Ian

www.videojug.com/film/how-to-behave-on-an-internet-forum
showing page 6 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > How a home...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.402304887772)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+