Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
How a home roaster cannot compare to a high tech commericial roaster
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > How a home...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 7 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun Jun 14, 2009, 3:52am
Subject: Re: How a home roaster cannot compare to a high tech commericial roaster

Agreed with Ian.

Keep calm. Carry on.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sun Jun 14, 2009, 5:04am
Subject: Re: How a home roaster unit may not compare to a high tech commericial roaster

espressoaddict Said:

I'm just a consumer and not affiliated with Velton in any way.  

Posted June 7, 2009 link

espressoaddict Said:

Since Velton sells green beans.  Why not give us your own analysis and see how your roaster will compare with his roast.  Basically, buy some of his roasted beans and then buy the same green beans and roast it on your setup.  Pull some shots using his roasted vs Velton's green beans roasted using your roaster.  Then let us know the results.  That would be great if your roasts are the same, or how knows surprisingly better.

Posted June 13, 2009 link

If you are not affiliated in any way then your use of us is confusing in many ways. Based off of this thread alone you have made sure I will never order from that company so why don't you put your money where you mouth is and order from SM's and try some green beans and roasted beans from someone that is not only a home roaster and a pro roaster and a judge and travels the world to get small distinct lots of greens for many to enjoy. Since you are so "spoiled" I would think you get one of these many places to roast for you on their sample roaster some of the greens. Though I guess a sample roaster is a "high tech commercial roaster",  oh well. If this thread had remained more civil I would have gladly put my Hottop roast up for a comparison for you to taste against a pro roaster, though I still lack some of the knowledge that many pro roaster have I think I would have come close.
 View Profile Link to this post
DarkMajestic

Espresso: Quckmill Vetrano
Grinder: Macap M4 and Capresso...
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: None
Roaster: Behmor & Cajun Pot.
Posted Sun Jun 14, 2009, 5:33am
Subject: Re: How a home roaster cannot compare to a high tech commericial roaster

When we decide to roast we also take the role of shaping the coffee landscape. As small a role as a single home roasters contribution may be to the coffee world .. in his home and around his home .. a contribution is made to the local coffee cusine.

I think it's a mistake to blindly seek out the most modern roasting machines money can buy and to emulate the existing methedology of the commercial pro roasters.

There is a characteristic coffee taste that the pro roaster has long ago left behind and it is stumbled upon or rediscovered at times by the home roaster in their attempts to reach a commercial roasting standard in their own homes.

The worst thing that could happen to the home roaster who desires to really discover coffee is to wake up one morning and find sitting in his usual nook a modern commercial roaster with all the directions to roast like a pro !! Hard to believe I know ... LOL

Instead he should reroast with his primative gear .. rebuild the roasting gear of the past .. and search out that which has been lost by the modern coffee world. In doing so he will save coffee.

Certainly something has been lost as is evident in various commercial products from the cookie to bottled beer we see the ravages of the commercial world. Why would coffee be any different ?

Ofcourse .. all this is hype .. as is most of what we hear in the coffee world regardless of where we hear it wether it be the trusted green bean supplier .. the pro roaster that claims to hand craft his roast yet connects his roaster to the latest in computerized auotomation .. the coffee grower who sings to his beans. As always ... what's in the cup is what counts and is what adds substance to the hype which is just hype until we coffee drinkers make it real.

It's not about where lies the best roaster .. it's about where lies the best coffee. Don't assume it's in the commercial roaster.

As I open a slightly over two week old jar of home roasted Java .. I am surprised .. the coffee is far fresher then I would of expected. It has a richness and a sweetness that defies it's age and I wonder can I really get this from the pro roaster ? It's not perfect coffee .. it has it's defects .. but amongst them is something crying out to be rediscovered and brought back to the coffee world.

Free from the commercial demands of roasting this mission of rediscovery is the sole domain of the home roaster.

Cheers ...
farmroast
farmroast

Espresso: Strega,Cremina, MCAL...
Grinder: Majors, Dienes
Vac Pot: Hellem10
Drip: CCD, and more
Roaster: 1kg. DreamRoast
Posted Sun Jun 14, 2009, 9:02am

The more one understands different heat applications and transfer the more one will understand the different characteristics that different roaster types will produce. Producing the same is rather impossible, different is more realistic and better is a matter of opinion.

Ed Bourgeois... LMWDP #167
please visit my blog
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Sun Jun 14, 2009, 9:21am

farmroast Said:

The more one understands different heat applications and transfer the more one will understand the different characteristics that different roaster types will produce. Producing the same is rather impossible, different is more realistic and better is a matter of opinion.

Posted June 14, 2009 link

Do cupping scores try to compensate for this difference?
farmroast
farmroast

Espresso: Strega,Cremina, MCAL...
Grinder: Majors, Dienes
Vac Pot: Hellem10
Drip: CCD, and more
Roaster: 1kg. DreamRoast
Posted Sun Jun 14, 2009, 9:42am

germantownrob Said:

Do cupping scores try to compensate for this difference?

Say pro roaster X using a Probat roasts a particular green and sends it to Ken and it scores a 92 and homeroaster y roasts the same beans on a modified popper and sends to Ken and also scores a 92. Would the cup taste the same? Which one would be better? Could either Roaster change their profile to match the other in the cup?

Ed Bourgeois... LMWDP #167
please visit my blog
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
MGLloyd

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Livia 90 semi
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Drip: Capresso MT 500
Roaster: Behmor and HG/DB
Posted Sun Jun 14, 2009, 9:57am

Since Velton sells green beans.  Why not give us your own analysis and see how your roaster will compare with his roast.  Basically, buy some of his roasted beans and then buy the same green beans and roast it on your setup.  Pull some shots using his roasted vs Velton's green beans roasted using your roaster.  Then let us know the results.  That would be great if your roasts are the same, or how knows surprisingly better.

I have actually done this very methodology several times with different roasters, albeit not with this particular roaster.  Consistently, the results are that the coffee roasted at home on my equipment is better to my taste.  This is explicable by two primary factors: my familiarity with my roasting equipment, honed by many years of experience and hundreds of pounds roasted; and that I can roast to the specific profiles that I prefer.  Many roasters, influenced by Peet's or Starbuck's, roast to a full city plus plus or Vienna level; whereas I prefer a full city (a few snaps or seconds into second crack).  

The coffee groups I belong to have done similar tests with pulling espresso shots on our home equipment vs. the cafe using the cafe's commercially roasted coffee.  Most of the time, given the level of espresso equipment we have at home (prosumer or commercial), we can pull better shots at home vs. the typical barista..  Again, this is likely explicable by our experience and knowledge of pulling shots that suit our fancy.  I have found it of interest that a professional barista has come into my home, used my grinder, espresso machine and coffee (Rocky, Livia 90 and homeroast, respectively), and pulled better shots than I have using the same items.  She was clearly more knowledgeable than I.  

I am confident that these results of comparative testing of homeroast vs. commercial and shots at home vs. shots at the cafe will not surprise my experienced colleagues on this board since they have likely encountered the same results.  

I think a very key point to be made with this thread is that it is not so much the equipment as the operator.  As others have noted, the primary advantage of commercial roasting equipment is volume and reproducibility, both of which are important in selling commercial quantities of coffee.  But a skilled operator can produce excellent results with any equipment and usually independent of the equipment.  I suspect that Thomas Keller of the French Laundry can come into my kitchen, use my equipment and my ingredients and produce a better meal than I can, because of his experience and skill.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Mill Creek, Washington  USA
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Sun Jun 14, 2009, 10:06am

farmroast Said:

Say pro roaster X using a Probat roasts a particular green and sends it to Ken and it scores a 92 and homeroaster y roasts the same beans on a modified popper and sends to Ken and also scores a 92. Would the cup taste the same? Which one would be better?

No, I don't think they would taste the same. The better one would be the one the taster liked best. I think cupping scores can take into consideration the difference in roasters (both human and machine) and to some extent judge fairly with these differences. I like the home roast element since I can change what I roast with, roast to my taste or experiment, and buy from someone who roasts far better than me.

So I agree with you but hey I just started to get a hang of this cupping score stuff so I am trying to use it in my day, LOL.
brentling
brentling
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: wega, fiorenzato
Grinder: Growing collection of...
Drip: yes people call me that...
Roaster: collection building...
Posted Sun Jun 14, 2009, 6:59pm

farmroast Said:

Say pro roaster X using a Probat roasts a particular green and sends it to Ken and it scores a 92 and homeroaster y roasts the same beans on a modified popper and sends to Ken and also scores a 92. Would the cup taste the same?

If they were roasted to the same profile - sure.

farmroast Said:

Which one would be better?

that would be a taste test, a subjective one at that :)

farmroast Said:

Could either Roaster change their profile to match the other in the cup?

The home roaster can modify their gear probably more easily than the commercial roaster, however the commercial roaster in time will have more experience and know what / how to do stuff with the roaster - so yes both could.

To expand on my thoughts - can a home roaster produce a damn fine coffee? yup - but so can a commercial roaster.

both ultimately are chasing different goals - a commercial roaster is chasing amongst other things consistency. A home roaster may consistently roast certain beans, and well, perhaps even exceptionally, but has more freedom to experiment, as the result if negative outcome is a learning experience, if positive, a great learning experience. A commercial roaster doesn't have that absolute luxury.

Both have advantages and disadvantages.
DarkMajestic

Espresso: Quckmill Vetrano
Grinder: Macap M4 and Capresso...
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: None
Roaster: Behmor & Cajun Pot.
Posted Mon Jun 15, 2009, 6:12pm

Say pro roaster X using a Probat roasts a particular green and sends it to Ken and it scores a 92 and homeroaster y roasts the same beans on a modified popper and sends to Ken and also scores a 92.

It might mean they both sent that same size check to ken ????

Just kidding guys .. some humor .. don't get all geekish on me.

Still there is a lot of coffee out there that never gets judged pro and home roasted. Home roasters don't make hype about there roast they just drink coffee. At least that's what I do ..

Cheers ...
showing page 7 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > How a home...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.387447118759)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+