Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
How a home roaster cannot compare to a high tech commericial roaster
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > How a home...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 8 last page next page
Author Messages
espressoaddict

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 (Primary)...
Grinder: Baratza Vario 2009 and...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Melitta Single Cup, Bodum...
Posted Sun Jun 7, 2009, 1:40pm
Subject: How a home roaster cannot compare to a high tech commericial roaster

Click Here (www.youtube.com)

Unless, there is some roaster out there that can perform to a smaller scale, please enlighten us or show us a way to do so.
 View Profile Link to this post
DarkMajestic

Espresso: Quckmill Vetrano
Grinder: Macap M4 and Capresso...
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: None
Roaster: Behmor & Cajun Pot.
Posted Sun Jun 7, 2009, 2:09pm
Subject: Re: How a home roaster cannot compare to a high tech commericial roaster

What exactly is your point ?

If you need to roast 25 pounds of beans at a time you better have a big sturdy roaster. I bet Folgers has a monsterous roaster.  

Again what are you really saying ?

If it makes you feel better buying your beans from a guy with a big roaster .. so be it. But .. so what ? The qualityu gap is not an issue these days. If I buy pro roasted beans it's to enjoy others work not because I can't make good coffee at home.

I have no idea who the guy is .. maybe a well known artisian roaster maybe a guy that has lots of cash and just bought a roaster ?

I almost bought a roaster for 15 grand one day and I would of had enough beans to fill half my house. I don't know if the roast would of been anything special .. most likely would of turned stale.

Thanks for the clip always fun to watch a roaster.

Cheers ...
espressoaddict

Posted Sun Jun 7, 2009, 2:31pm
Subject: Re: How a home roaster cannot compare to a high tech commericial roaster

DarkMajestic Said:

What exactly is your point ?
Cheers ...

Posted June 7, 2009 link

This is more of an educational sharing and open thread open for any discussion really, but simply sharing the capability of a commercial vs a home.  Personally, there are advantages of home roasting for practical reasons; from experimentation, cost, convenience and etc.

Personally thought about about home roasting and to offer the added benefits of being able to roast my own beans will cost less, but how about quality will it compare with a professional roaster when we are typically aiming for near perfection most of the time.  Assuming, I did buy a green beans and roasted by own why settle for an amateur roasted bean it does not make any sense to do the extra work for at least now, since I have access to fresh roasted beans in my city.

However, if you noted the roaster controller there is a way to regulate the temp and other variables.  Not having roasted using home equip vs commercial, can't really tell the difference in the cup.  I'm sure there maybe people here to share their experiences comparing a green bean roasted on a commercial vs a home.  Typically a home equipment won't compare to a commercial equipment like our home espresso machines with a few exceptions if they are pro-consumer.  But we are really comparing home vs commercial.

No problem.  I just wanted to purely share the video to expand our knowledge to those who have never seen a commercial roaster.

Not promoting this video in anyway, but Velton's espresso got a score of 94 on from a highest of 100 points.  That's actually pretty good.  Worth trying for some.
MGLloyd

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Livia 90 semi
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Drip: Capresso MT 500
Roaster: Behmor and HG/DB
Posted Sun Jun 7, 2009, 2:59pm

I ride right past Velton Coffee every work day on my way to work in downtown Everett.  He is in the basement of the old Lowell elementary school.  Having roasted my own for about ten years now, I am confidently say that no one roasts to my tastes better than myself.  Perhaps if the OP were to begin home roasting himself, he will be pleasantly surprised by the quality, freshness and cost savings.  But then again, I am one of those people that if I can do something better myself, I am reluctant to pay someone else to do it for me.  I am sure that Velton can roast 25 pound batch quantities quicker than I can, but I am not sure he can produce better coffee than I, who has the luxury of doing this as a hobby, not a business.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Mill Creek, Washington  USA
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Jun 7, 2009, 3:30pm

espressoaddict Said:

I just wanted to purely share the video to expand our knowledge to those who have never seen a commercial roaster.

Posted June 7, 2009 link

Then why not post it in the general area?

espressoaddict Said:

Not promoting this video in anyway, but Velton's espresso got a score of 94 on from a highest of 100 points.  That's actually pretty good.  Worth trying for some.

Posted June 7, 2009 link

Maybe not promoting the video but you are promoting their coffee..

Lastly...while I'm sure your reasons for posting were well intended but take a second look at your header..

You are slamming and dissing the very thing everyone here enjoys, not only in the header but in the main body as well...

Ever hear of Dale Carnegie? ;-)

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
espressoaddict

Posted Sun Jun 7, 2009, 3:50pm
Subject: Re: How a home roaster unit may not compare to a high tech commericial roaster

MGLloyd Said:

Perhaps if the OP were to begin home roasting himself, he will be pleasantly surprised by the quality, freshness and cost savings.

Posted June 7, 2009 link

We will get there at some point, just not now. I'm perfectly happy enjoying what master roasters offer.

tahoejoe Said:

Then why not post it in the general area?

Posted June 7, 2009 link

Note the home roaster in the subject, as this is an open thread for free discussion.

tahoejoe Said:

Maybe not promoting the video but you are promoting their coffee..

Posted June 7, 2009 link

I'm just a consumer and not affiliated with Velton in any way.  Just sharing a blend that has been reviewed as being reported as an excellent blend.  You probably need to search this site, but others are nice enough to share their bean knowledge on espresso.  So if you think that is negative, you got the wrong idea.

tahoejoe Said:

Lastly... look at your header.. you are slamming and dissing the very thing everyone here enjoys... Ever hear of Dale Carnegie? How about Napolean Hill? you might try reading both...

Posted June 7, 2009 link

My apologies to the title dude if some were offended. It was corrected to home roaster unit for clarity and not meant to put down a home roaster.
Joel_B
Joel_B

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Sun Jun 7, 2009, 4:18pm

Hmmm, I'm also not quite sure I understand the point.  However, I appreciate the link and I think I understand your intentions.  

espressoaddict Said:

Not having roasted using home equip vs commercial, can't really tell the difference in the cup.

Posted June 7, 2009 link

Had you done either, you'd have more understanding about roasting, the real difference between commercial and home roasting, and why it's not the equipment that makes a great coffee. Your apparent assumption that "commercial" trumps "home" is unsubstantiated and not inherently true.  In fact, the lowest tech roasting methods often offer the most control.

espressoaddict Said:

Typically a home equipment won't compare to a commercial equipment like our home espresso machines with a few exceptions if they are pro-consumer.  But we are really comparing home vs commercial.

Posted June 7, 2009 link

I currently own espresso machine that would most likely be considered "prosumer".  What I've found between my current equipment and my previous machine is not the difference in the cup, but rather the amount of effort it takes to get the same result.

The best shot I've had was from great beans on amazing equipment, but I truelly believe the difference was the guy pulling the shot.  The best beer I've ever had was a home brew.  Best cocktails I've ever tasted have been in my own kitchen.  The best "concert" I've ever been to was a private engagement of some great musicians just simply doing their thing.  The best welding I've seen was a roomate I had who did stuff out of our garage.  The best woodwork I've seen was a guy I know who does things by hand and is truelly an artisan.  My point is that not only can things be done at home as good as anything professionally done, but it can also be done better.  Just some "educational sharing" that I hope you consider.
kimwroble
kimwroble

Espresso: SILVIA pid
Grinder: ROCKY
Vac Pot: YAMA / Cory
Drip: MELITA DRIP
Roaster: BEHMOR
Posted Mon Jun 8, 2009, 4:31am

We have 2very good local rossters here in the FL keys.
Having the coffee from the one that does 5lb batches is what changed my life and brought me here (to the geeks)
when he had to move and my favorite was all of a sudden gone.

After alot of help from these guys (you know who you are) I bought a Behmor and
right off the bat was roasting high quality,high grown,hand picked beans and getting results
as good as I was used to..

I studied everything here and at Sweet Marias that I could find on the roaster I bought before it came.
My first coffee  was good and I never looked back..I love to see the looks on faces when friends
taste what comes out of this thing that looks like their toaster oven.
Breeze
Breeze
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Pasquini Livia S
Grinder: Mazzer Mini/Rocky
Drip: TechniVorm/Krups MB
Roaster: Toper 1 kilo
Posted Mon Jun 8, 2009, 5:08am

I didn't find a thing offensive about the post, nor do I think the poster was "baiting" in any way shape or form.  

The essence of what I believe the post to be is a question of whether or not a home roaster, on a consumer appliance, can replicate the roast produced by a commercial drum with all the bell and whistle controls.   That is certainly a valid question?

My answer to the question is yes, a home roaster can get there with a consumer appliance.  Do you not believe that a roaster can produce a sub-par roast on a $25,000 machine.  The two primary advantages of the commercial machine are volume and repeatability.   In spite of the fancy dan controls and temp logging and auto air controls, the roaster in the vid. stressed his attention to color, odor and sound in order to insure the roast remained on track.   Same deal with a home machine, ignore your senses and you're not going to produce a good roast, pay attention and you'll be on the path to correct coffee.

Did you hear the one about the coffee machine producer that got up on the wrong side of the bed.......
Covenut
Covenut

Espresso: Silvia w/PID, LA Pavoni...
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Rancilio...
Drip: Does a Coffee Press count?
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jun 8, 2009, 7:12am

Well. espressoaddict, there is an old saying: 'Dont knock it until you've tried it.'
Get yourself some beans and a means of roasting and give it a try.  Then judge for yourself.  One thing I can tell you, almost all the people posting on this forum have experienced home roasting for themselves.  I'm quite certain they have all experienced commercially roasted coffee.  You just dont know til you try it.
showing page 1 of 8 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > How a home...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.53999710083)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+