Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
I'm buying a WB Poppery II
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > I'm buying a WB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
andyandrews35

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Francis! Francis! X3
Grinder: BrAun KMM30
Roaster: POPLITE # 04820
Posted Sun Nov 30, 2008, 8:17am
Subject: I'm buying a WB Poppery II

Have never tried home roasting before.  I don't know anything about it except it involves subjecting green coffee beans to heat, darkening them.

Decided to take the plunge via purchasing a West Bend Poppery II on Ebay (provided I win the auction).

Here are the strong points for me:

1.  A way to get started with home roasting
  2.  Affordable
  3.  Fun:  The Poppery II seems to have its own cult following on the web!

Any WB Poppery II enthusiasts here ?
 View Profile Link to this post
pilgrim5
pilgrim5
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Salivatore
Grinder: Bunn/LPG & Macap M4
Vac Pot: Yamer/aeropress
Drip: Bunn VPR series
Roaster: Bred mach /heat gun and stir...
Posted Sun Nov 30, 2008, 10:29am
Subject: Re: I'm buying a WB Poppery II

Yup just the way i started out!  I have been roasting for 5 years now and how i ended up is using a Bread machine and a heat gun.  You can roast more with the BM/HG i do about a pound at a time and with the other less than a 1/3 the amount.

The bread machine can be had for cheap at any good will or thrift store the heat gun from Harbor Fright for $15.00 and will do a lot more coffee at a time with a lot of control over your roast.

The bread machine is used on the dough cycle to just stir the beans the heat gun provides all the heat
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Sun Nov 30, 2008, 10:38am
Subject: Re: I'm buying a WB Poppery II

Hi Andy,

I have never used a Poppery II but I see it mentioned on these fourms.  I get the idea that they are good but the one which is revered is the original Poppery.  I have used that one.  It is very well built but beyond that it has a 117 volt motor which can easily be seperated from the heating element for independant control of each.

If you win the Poppery II, congragulations.  I'm sure it will be a good start and it can be hacked. It just is a bit more effort than the Poppery 1.

If you don't win, don't be to dissapointed.  Look for the P 1.

Phil

andyandrews35 Said:

Have never tried home roasting before.  I don't know anything about it except it involves subjecting green coffee beans to heat, darkening them.

Decided to take the plunge via purchasing a West Bend Poppery II on Ebay (provided I win the auction).

Here are the strong points for me:

A way to get started with home roasting
Affordable
Fun:  The Poppery II seems to have its own cult following on the web!

Any WB Poppery II enthusiasts here ?

Posted November 30, 2008 link

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
andyandrews35

Espresso: Francis! Francis! X3
Grinder: BrAun KMM30
Roaster: POPLITE # 04820
Posted Sun Nov 30, 2008, 5:58pm
Subject: Re: I'm buying a WB Poppery II - Update

I missed out on the Poppery II.  I am settling for a "Presto 04820 PopLite Hot Air Corn Popper."  There was a testimonial from some guy on Amazon that he operates two of them in tandem to roast coffee.

Ahem, People, let me just say, that delving into the intricacies of fine coffee has been rewarding.  But on the other hand, it has left me feeling somewhat more European and less American.  

But now that I can modify UL-Approved devices, in order to make them serve a purpose they were clearly not designed for, once again,

MAKES ME PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN ! (Wipes tear from corner of eye).

WOO-HOO!
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sun Nov 30, 2008, 6:35pm

andyandrews35 Said:

I missed out on the Poppery II.

Hi Andy, I'd forget about eBay for the Poppery 1 or II as bidding can get crazy/out of control. Check your local Salvation Army store & Value Village as poppers (Proctor Silex Popcorn Pumper) & the like can be had for $1.99 - $3 or so. I got two Poppery I's for around $4.99 & $5.99 each! {:-D

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
ronnie_b

Grinder: Bodum Antigua
Drip: Melitta pour over
Roaster: PID'd P1
Posted Mon Dec 1, 2008, 8:04pm

CraigA Said:

Hi Andy, I'd forget about eBay for the Poppery 1 or II as bidding can get crazy/out of control. Check your local Salvation Army store & Value Village as poppers (Proctor Silex Popcorn Pumper) & the like can be had for $1.99 - $3 or so. I got two Poppery I's for around $4.99 & $5.99 each! {:-D

I've purchased 2 P1's for under $40.00 shipped in the last month. It's not difficult at all.
seedlings
seedlings

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Premier V
Grinder: Rossi RR45
Vac Pot: Cory DCU / DCL Rubberless
Drip: Newco Air Pot
Roaster: CoffeeAir II
Posted Tue Dec 2, 2008, 9:18am

andyandrews35 Said:

I missed out on the Poppery II.  I am settling for a "Presto 04820 PopLite Hot Air Corn Popper."  There was a testimonial from some guy on Amazon that he operates two of them in tandem to roast coffee.

Ahem, People, let me just say, that delving into the intricacies of fine coffee has been rewarding.  But on the other hand, it has left me feeling somewhat more European and less American.  

But now that I can modify UL-Approved devices, in order to make them serve a purpose they were clearly not designed for, once again,

MAKES ME PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN ! (Wipes tear from corner of eye).

WOO-HOO!

Ever heard of the Boston Tea Party?  We are THE coffee nation!

I have a Poppery II.  PM me if the Presto doesn't work out.  Poppers are a fun way to get into roasting.  Once you start using one, then you'll be back here asking more questions!

Merry Christmas,
CHAD
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > I'm buying a WB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.297373056412)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+