Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Gene Cafe Owners - Do You Love Your Gene Cafe?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Gene Cafe Owners...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Yemenman
Yemenman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti Moka Pot
Grinder: Rocky
Vac Pot: Yama 8 , Kona
Drip: TV KBT741 MOKA MASTER CD
Roaster: I ROAST  GENE CAFE  HOT TOP
Posted Tue Dec 12, 2006, 6:43pm
Subject: Re: Gene Cafe Owners - Do You Love Your Gene Cafe?

Susanna Said:

I am happy with mine so far.  Had it about a month now and haven't counted the roasts.  I will have to check my notes and see how much I have done.  My husband and I drink a lot of coffee.  I make a TV full in the morning when I first get up and we drink that.  Then I make a 32oz bodum press pot and fill my thermos for work and make another TV full for him before I leave.  Then I make a TV full when I get home and sometimes a press pot too.   I know I have gone through a SM sampler and on a second one.  Also have bought several pounds from the green coffee buying club and 20lbs off ebay.  I would say it has all turned out better than any store bought. I usually do 8ozs at a time and do two roasts back to back.  No problems so far and it is so easy to use.

Susan

Posted December 10, 2006 link

Susan,
     Wow ,your getting right there with Eddie on total weight roasted!Ha,i see you play with a Bodum,i would like your comments on that go to my thread on Aeropress &Bodum and put in your basic routine on the press if you would,iam learning..or trying too!

Thanx
Steve
 View Profile Link to this post
marknatm

Espresso: Krups
Grinder: Kitchen-Aid Retro
Drip: Technivorm KBTS
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Gene Cafe,...
Posted Wed Dec 13, 2006, 10:17am

I have been very pleased with my Gene Cafe.  I now have very reproducible roasts and have eliminated the need to roast every night with my Freshroast+8.  It took me a little while to get accustomed to hearing first crack, but now I know what to listen for and my results have been great.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
AudzG

Espresso: Expobar brewtus II
Grinder: mazzer mini
Vac Pot: mukka
Roaster: Cafe Gene
Posted Tue Aug 5, 2008, 4:48am

Yes it's a fantastic machine and I've had many happy hours roasting and drinking great coffee
Susanna

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: KitchenAid pro line
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Tue Aug 5, 2008, 5:08am

I have had mine almost 2 years now and still going strong.

Susanna
Judge

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV,...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Compak K3...
Drip: Bunn VP-17, Breville...
Posted Fri Aug 8, 2008, 4:35am

EddieDove Said:

I started roasting with my Gene Cafe on August 28, 2006.  Thus far, I have run 62.5 pounds in 121 roasts through this roaster; it has yet to disappoint me and I often run between anywhere from 4 to 10 consecutive batches through the roaster at a time.  I have even run as many as 15 consecutive batches.

I have also been able to successfully create and use a profile ("Gene Cafe Profiles and Results - Share Yours!") for this roaster and now my coffee is better than ever.  

I am very please with this product thus far and I sure hope it continues to deliver ...

What is your experience with your Gene Cafe?

Respectfully,

Eddie

Posted December 10, 2006 link

Funny you should ask.

Well Eddie it was your web site and your information that led me to purchase this unit.  I have not kept track of just how much coffee I have roasted with it but it has been one heck of a lot.  And well,  it's just tick, tock, tick.................  Coffee the way it should be.

Thank you for leading me to such a wonderful machine.
Dooglas
Dooglas

Espresso: Vibiemme Junior
Grinder: Ascaso, Baratza
Drip: Bonavita, Bodum press
Roaster: GeneCafe, Behmor
Posted Sat Aug 9, 2008, 9:59am

Dooglas Said:

Yes, mine works great for me. Had it since spring and it just turns out roast after roast with predictable and almost monotonous consistency. Like a toaster, I'll use it until I wear it out and then I'll get another one.

Posted December 12, 2006 link

Hey, this is cool. First chance I ever got to comment on my own post two years later.  The Gene is still going strong. Two to three consistent roasts every week - week to week, month to month, year to year. Ya gotta love it!
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Sat Aug 9, 2008, 4:24pm
Subject: Re: Gene Cafe Owners - Profiles that work

Thought we might use this thread for our best profiles/what we are using:

Profiles (118 Volts, cycling down to 116V)
^  Pre-heat unit to 360, "E" stop
^  Roast 220g, 8 ounces
^  High growns, 480 to 15 seconds into 1st, => 460 to edge of second
^  Indos/Indians, 475=> 455
^  Brazils, 470=> 455
^  Konas, checking my notes [thumbing, delving, digging...]

Moved back to the Gene after missing the visuals with the Behmor.  Started using the large chaff collector, vented out the window with a flex alum arm.  Sweet.

B|Java

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Stumpknocker

Grinder: Kitchen Aid
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Sun Aug 10, 2008, 6:49pm

I have had mine over two years and can't be more satisfied.  There is no question that I would buy another Gene.  I roast 10oz. batches and have done as many as 15 roasts back to back.  Never had so much as a blip.
DavecUK

Posted Mon Aug 11, 2008, 2:25am

Had mine for almost 18 months now (UK Model)....have roasted more than 60kg of coffee in it. I usually do 5 back to back roasts at a time. One of the things I love about the roaster is the lack of any filters to buy and the minimal maintenance/cleaning required, it also looks pretty much the same now as it did when I bought it. Usual size of batch roasted is 250-275g.

One of the things I find helpful with the Gene is not to use temperatures that are too high, I tend to use temps around 446F depending on bean and for some beans as low as 435 (Monsoon Malabar)...and then reduce the heat input gradually as 1st crack begins by 4-7F. Roast times to certain indicators can/should take longer, because during the first minute or so of the roast, the machine is coming up to the temperature that many roasters start roasting at when you initially drop the beans in. These two things give coffee that is much closer to commercial drum roasted coffee and the difference in the pour and taste are noticeable.
fpmr96a
fpmr96a

Espresso: Quisinart, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky, Grindmaster 825
Drip: Capresso, Bodum Press
Roaster: BBQ and Gene
Posted Mon Aug 11, 2008, 3:41am

I've had mine for 6 months and love it.   The first Gene that arrived was bad right out of the box, but the replacement has been great.  It's so much better than the FR I had before.

andrew
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Gene Cafe Owners...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.378540039062)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+