Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Hottop v. Behmor
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Hottop v. Behmor  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 13 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
mrgnomer
mrgnomer
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Silvia, Olympia...
Grinder: Zass., Macap M4 stepless,...
Vac Pot: Yama, Bodum E Santos
Drip: French Press, ibrik, Moka...
Roaster: Hottop programmable, IRoast2
Posted Sat Jun 14, 2008, 8:11pm
Subject: Re: Hottop v. Behmor

Toaster oven:

mrgnomer: digital toaster oven.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Jun 14, 2008, 9:52pm

Just the fact that people are even comparing a 900 dollar roaster to a 300 dollar roaster should tell you something awesome is up with the Behmor.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
cjjimmy

Grinder: solis maestro
Drip: Capresso
Roaster: Behmor/I roast
Posted Sun Jun 15, 2008, 3:15pm

Is'nt that the truth,can you say P T Barnum?
 View Profile Link to this post
cjjimmy

Posted Sun Jun 15, 2008, 3:25pm

Why is'nt the ht $200,is there $900 in parts in there?I doubt it very much.
cjjimmy

Posted Sun Jun 15, 2008, 3:34pm

Did you thank her?
shaneo

Espresso: Barista
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Silex
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Jun 15, 2008, 7:30pm

So the Behmor looks like a toaster oven?  Why on earth is the appearance even an issue?

It roasts coffee, twice the amount of the Hottop.  It has smoke supression, which lessens the smell of the smoke which allow it to be used indoors, without silly looking and cumbersome venting.  An outside vented oven hood is sufficiant to remove the smoke it produces.  It also costs $500+ less than a new Hottop.

The Hottop is a nice roaster. My opinion is that it is not worth the amount they are charging for it.

The original question was to compare the two roasters.  My opinion is that the smoke supression, price and batch size of the Behmor differ significantly from the Hottop.  

If appearance matters to you, buy a Hottop.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mrgnomer
mrgnomer

Espresso: Vetrano, Silvia, Olympia...
Grinder: Zass., Macap M4 stepless,...
Vac Pot: Yama, Bodum E Santos
Drip: French Press, ibrik, Moka...
Roaster: Hottop programmable, IRoast2
Posted Mon Jun 16, 2008, 2:21pm

shaneo Said:

So the Behmor looks like a toaster oven?  Why on earth is the appearance even an issue?

Posted June 15, 2008 link

Because that's what it looks like.  A toaster oven that was modified to roast coffee.  The Hottop, AFAIK, was specifially designed as a coffee roaster.  Personally I'm wary of what looks like a modified kitchen appliance.  Time will tell if the Behmor is as reliable, consistent and is backed as well as a Hottop.  Having never used a Behmor I couldn't compare it's roasting potential to a Hottop.  

shaneo Said:

...without silly looking and cumbersome venting.

Posted June 15, 2008 link

You don't like my handiwork?  I thought it wasn't a bad solution to having no oven hood to put a Hottop under.  If I had an oven hood I'd have no need for custom venting.  BTW, it's not cumbersome.

As far as batch size goes, that's relative to your needs.  If you roast for espresso and like to blend more than 3 individually roasted SOs a big batch size can be a draw back.  I can't go through more than 3 lbs of coffee in 10 days.  Even with the smaller batch size of the Hottop I've gone from individually roasting SOs to blending them green before roasting.

In any case it would be hard to compare any home roasting appliances, IMHO.  Roasting knowledge, experience and expectations vary.  As well it would depend on what your using your roast for from drip to espresso and how good your coffee making knowledge and skill is too.  It ends up being whatever works for you.  All I can say after over 3 years of roasting and espresso geekdom the Hottop is a good roaster.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
jghoo
jghoo

Espresso: PIDed Reneka Viva I
Grinder: Faema S6
Drip: Presto Scandinavian
Roaster: I-roast 2, Behmor
Posted Mon Jun 16, 2008, 4:49pm

the Behmor IMHO should be sold as a 12-14oz roaster it is sensitive to voltage. It is $300. I'm sure most would say it roasts as well as the Hottop. You should get the Behmor if you are a practical guy. Get the Hottop If you always tend to buy the most expensive, for example is there a GS/3 in your kitchen? Get the Hottop if you feel you want to manually adjust the temp or develop temp based profiles. Get the Behmor and a high end grinder for the same money if you just want great coffee.

For what its worth
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Mon Jun 16, 2008, 9:11pm

jghoo Said:

the Behmor IMHO should be sold as a 12-14oz roaster it is sensitive to voltage. It is $300. I'm sure most would say it roasts as well as the Hottop. You should get the Behmor if you are a practical guy. Get the Hottop If you always tend to buy the most expensive, for example is there a G3 in your kitchen? Get the Hottop if you feel you want to manually adjust the temp or develop temp based profiles. Get the Behmor and a high end grinder for the same money if you just want great coffee.
For what its worth

Posted June 16, 2008 link

Great post.  +1

The Behmor is not a modded toaster oven.  Rather, a common shell was used with some innovative ideas that took 8 years to get from concept to market and at a price that surprised almost everyone.  Joe Behm used to work for Ronco and created some of their stuff, so it makes sense that developing the Behmor came from a compact unit.  I'm glad it is smaller than the Rotissorie Oven!

Heck, I've seen some sample roasters that were pretty unusual looking.  

But having said that, I do like the look of the Hottop.  If the $900 unit were closer to $600 I'd give it a much closer look.

LMWDP # 010
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jun 16, 2008, 9:49pm

Prof Said:

Great post.  +1

The Behmor is not a modded toaster oven.  Rather, a common shell was used with some innovative ideas that took 8 years to get from concept to market and at a price that surprised almost everyone.  Joe Behm used to work for Ronco and created some of their stuff, so it makes sense that developing the Behmor came from a compact unit.  I'm glad it is smaller than the Rotissorie Oven!

Heck, I've seen some sample roasters that were pretty unusual looking.  

But having said that, I do like the look of the Hottop.  If the $900 unit were closer to $600 I'd give it a much closer look.

Posted June 16, 2008 link

I would consider looking at a hottop if it were 300.00 but its hardly worth 900.00,somebody at hottop is really trying to get rich...they will come down after Behmor continues winning more people over.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
showing page 4 of 13 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Hottop v. Behmor  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.333405017853)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+